Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Found out I'm working for a scammer! What can I do?!

In my desperate search for online writing work, I took a job on skype without researching it properly. I decided yesterday to Google the username of the skype account because the whole set-up seemed unprofessional to me. My usual client is sick at the moment so work is scarce.

I wasn't too surprised to find that the first search result on Google was a link to this thread: https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vi...16941&p=285672

This person completed $400 worth of writing work for "the21stplatform" and never got paid. Luckily, I've only done $46 worth of work, but I am trying to think of the best way to inform whoever the hell this is to pay me ASAP. If anyone on here knows the best way to go about this I would be extremely grateful.

At the moment my only feasible solution is a scare tactic message. I have not informed this user that I know of their antics yet. My message so far reads:

"Nice to see I'm working for someone who scams people to write for them and doesn't pay them. https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vi...16941&p=285672.

Before you try and block me or delete me, I advise you to be aware of the fact that I have screenshots of our entire skype conversation, including clear evidence of work provided for you. I also have a log of every IP address you have used to login with this skype, as well as original e-mail addresses.

I want payment for my work NOW, before taking this further and passing it on to my lawyers. I have written a total of 1550 Words, which at the rate we agreed (and the rate I have screenshots of) amounts to $46.50. If I don't receive payment by Monday, this case will be taken further and your IP information passed on to the relevant authorities"

Is there anything I can do to strengthen this message, such as naming the specific authority? This might scare whoever runs the account into paying me. I feel terrible to be honest. I have only worked five or six hours for this person but that is time that would've been much better spent applying for online work elsewhere or writing for content mills. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2016, 06:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Have you tried just invoicing them? I don't think you should say anything about the payment dispute at this point. Just bill them for the $46 and see what happens.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Mistakes

So sorry to here that, that is why you have to be real careful. Just remember
always learn from your mistake my friend.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Have you tried just invoicing them? I don't think you should say anything about the payment dispute at this point. Just bill them for the $46 and see what happens.
I agree with Michelle. Unless it's been a long time since you completed the work, just bill them and see what happens.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:57 PM
WAHM Regular

You might want to avoid mentioning lawyers at all. Doing so will likely make them laugh, if not scoff derisively and stuff you in File 13.

Unless you know one personally who is willing to do work for you pro bono, it's not going to be worth it to engage the services of a lawyer in order to recover $46.50. That's not even a billable half-hour phone call for some lawyers I know!

As the others said, invoice them and see what happens. If you don't get a response, then do it again.

Good luck

edit: For future reference, I stumbled across this article after I wrote this post. Maybe it'll help you, maybe you already knew these things. We can all screw up sometimes.

Last edited by jponorato; 02-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:00 AM
WAHM Regular

Are they selling your content on to other companies, or using it themselves? If they're selling it on, you could let them know you'll be contacting their customers to let them know they don't pay writers. You may also be able to get your content delisted from search pages by contacting Google with evidence that you wrote it and haven't been paid, as you still own the copyright. You can find out where your content ends up by Googling phrases from the content in quotation marks ("")
Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered WAHM

Default I am another victim of the same SCAM $300 work with no payment

Hi Roro,
I can understand how you feel. Same happened to me. I wrote 12 articles worth of $300 as per agreed terms.

He sent me one agreement form, which is signed and returned. Then I worked for him for one week and when I asked my payment, he just disappeared.

Now I am after him/her to make him/her realize that its not that easy to steal money of the poor (but not goof) writers.

I have already made some moves to pay the price of this fraud. You may contact me to team up and do a combined effort.

Also please try to contact his source from where he was getting all this work and passing it to us.

Good luck,
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Super WAHM

Default Opportunity to Learn

One word so this never happens to you again: RETAINER
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered WAHM

Default The article assignment source is confirmed by two clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtulip View Post
Are they selling your content on to other companies, or using it themselves? If they're selling it on, you could let them know you'll be contacting their customers to let them know they don't pay writers. You may also be able to get your content delisted from search pages by contacting Google with evidence that you wrote it and haven't been paid, as you still own the copyright. You can find out where your content ends up by Googling phrases from the content in quotation marks ("")
what I found so far is that most of the article assignments he got from iWriter. I have already placed a ticket to inquire about this. Soon I will update about it here.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Super WAHM

Send an invoice or a demand letter. Or both. You should work on a cash at delivery or retainer. All of my new clients, unless they are through Upwork, must pay a retainer unless I can verify that they are a larger, legitimate company.

Always, always, always take the time to research. Get on Upwork so that you can find legit freelance opportunities. It's free.