Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:24 PM
WHAM Me You

Default Rates For Writing.

Hi guys,

I was a freelancer for a content writer before.
But I stopped for about 2 years now.

I was searching for the common rates for
content or copy writing in google but I found
different answers.
Can anyone here who is a content or copy writer would
share their current rates?
Or any employer who can give the average price
she/he pays on the writers?

Best,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 PM
WAHM Regular

If you're talking about 'industry' writing rates, then you'll find them here: Writers and Authors : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

'Online' rates vary as much as the temperature in different parts of the world.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM
WHAM Me You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm2015 View Post
If you're talking about 'industry' writing rates, then you'll find them here: Writers and Authors : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

'Online' rates vary as much as the temperature in different parts of the world.
Thank you for sharing this
Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
WAHM Regular

The weird thing is you can find great writers across the board. Some people charge $5 for a typical article that others would charge for $50+ for. If you're hiring writers, might have to do a lot of testing and trial and error to discover that there are fewer writers at the lower end.

I strongly suggest you think about what you'd be making per hour once you factor in research, writing, and editing. This will help you arrive at a fair rate. Also research the industry you are writing for- technical manuals, medical, and legal are all some niches where the rates are higher even for beginners.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelaura04 View Post
The weird thing is you can find great writers across the board. Some people charge $5 for a typical article that others would charge for $50+ for. If you're hiring writers, might have to do a lot of testing and trial and error to discover that there are fewer writers at the lower end.

I strongly suggest you think about what you'd be making per hour once you factor in research, writing, and editing. This will help you arrive at a fair rate. Also research the industry you are writing for- technical manuals, medical, and legal are all some niches where the rates are higher even for beginners.
The thing with the cheaper writers is that they have no loyalty (rightfully so). It's better in the long run to go with someone who is going to charge you $50-$100 an article but who will stick around.

The last thing a company needs on their blog is inconsistent quality and voice.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I'll share.

I charge $400 per month for two 1,000 word blog posts/articles per week. $75 for every article after that. O

5,000 word "linkbait" articles are $500, and ebooks @ .10 per word.

I could charge more, but I prefer offering the monthly rate as it means smoother, more reliable income.

Other writers at my quality level charge $100 per post or more. No doubt I'll have to raise my rates in future.

I agree that it's good to factor in your research and editing costs. I edit everything myself, but I have a great system and it doesn't take me long. Same with research.

Since I don't farm anything out (and never will), this means that I have a hard cap on my income. You should always, always be working on something residual. Clickbank, Udemy, w/e.

Oh, and absolutely make your own website. No Upwork or Freelancer.

Last edited by TjCharles; 09-05-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM
WAHM Fanatic

My rates vary depending on how interesting the content is to me, and how often the client pays. Currently, my main clients pay $.08 and $.10 per word. My backup clients and mills pay between $.04 and $.10 per word.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjCharles View Post
I'll share.

I charge $400 per month for two 1,000 word blog posts/articles per week. $75 for every article after that.
TjCharles,
If you don't mind sharing, are the $75 articles in the computer or gaming industry? A lot of my articles are in a pet niche, so I don't think I can ask that rate.

Last edited by MReynolds; 09-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I agree with those who have said it can run the gamut. I find that by charging higher rates, I can weed out a lot of the clients that I don't want to work with anyway. The micromanagers, the ones who try to get extra work without paying, etc, don't even bother when they know you're going to charge them not only ten cents per word, but also an hourly rate for your time if they start taking up a lot of it with phone calls and things like that. The ones who are looking for high-quality work and who have the fund to pay, do so.

On the other hand, work that I do for clients who are paying a lot takes longer than work I would do for someone paying less. Definitely figure out what your time investment is going to be for any given project and charge accordingly.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:33 PM
WHAM Me You

Thank you for your
answers guys.
Really appreciate it.
I've already decided the rate,
thanks for all of the information's
you guys shared .

Best,
Ed