Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Question about portfolio and writing samples

Hello,

I took a break from writing for about the last two years or so. I'd like to get back into it, but I need some advice. When I was writing online, it was as a ghostwriter. So, no byline or link I can use for a writing sample. I did have a blog, but I lost the domain and cannot access or even find any of the writing I did for it. And did I mention that the laptop on which I did all of my writing crashed and I cannot access any of my own writings? The only other writing I have done online is for Associated Content, and they aren't around anymore.

So, any suggestions as to what I can do about providing writing samples to potential clients? Should I write samples upon request? Or should I go ahead and write a bunch of random articles?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Grand WAHM

Michelle,

Wow, sounds like you got hit by bad things all around. Sorry all of this happened to you.

For the laptop that crashed, files can sometimes be copied from one hard drive to another (assuming the hard drive isn't toast). If you have any computer repair shops in your local area, this may be worth investigating.

If you "go ahead and write a bunch of random articles" you could publish those on your own blog or site and use that to showcase your talents. I'd recommend investing in your own domain and hosting though. There are many ways to monetize a blog/site as well.

You could also write samples upon request when appropriate and if you maintain ownership, you could publish those on your own blog/site.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:28 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You can start by just writing three or four pieces to showcase what you can do. Then as time goes on, you can add to it. Anytime you have something published under your byline, include a link... in time, you should have a pretty comprehensive portfolio.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:25 AM
Registered WAHM

Did you check Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

A large chunk of the web is archived there. Hopefully your old blog is too.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for all the advice. I did find some of my old blog on the wayback machine...can I use those links for samples when clients ask, do you think?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:41 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I would save the samples and put them up on your new site, or start a new blog and transfer over your samples. Then link to that blog from your writing site.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:17 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I would save the samples and put them up on your new site, or start a new blog and transfer over your samples. Then link to that blog from your writing site.
Michelle has the right approach. Grab your old stuff and republish it on a new website.

I would avoid providing samples on demand, as a lot of writers get burned by scammers pretending to be potential clients, getting their 'free' sample written, then stealing it to post under their own name and you never hear from them again.

Make a list of the different writing styles you intend to offer, then write a sample of each (or use your old writing), publish them to your website, and then just provide any potential clients with the links.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks so much--this is a lifesaver!