Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Errors on websites/blogs

If you're reading someone else's website or blog- an individual or company- and see "kinda extreme" errors, do you bring it to their attention?

I'd been wondering about this for awhile in terms of potential clients, but there's also one who is a local professional. Not only are there "bunches" of spelling/typo errors, one mistake I noticed changes the entire context of what the person is saying. I actually read one paragraph a number of times before it occurred to me that what it said was not what she meant.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Send an email! What do you have to lose? I would definitely do a "criticism sandwich" by telling them what's awesome about their site (even if you have to be extremely generous in coming up with something) and then putting in the "your content could use some sprucing up and proofreading" part in the middle, then ending with something else that's done well.

Best case, you get a new client!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered WAHM

I'm a newbie currently getting experience as a proofreader, and this is the tip I got and have been doing recently. Sent emails and asked them if they'd agree to be included in my resume. One has emailed back saying yes already.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Send an email! What do you have to lose? I would definitely do a "criticism sandwich" by telling them what's awesome about their site (even if you have to be extremely generous in coming up with something) and then putting in the "your content could use some sprucing up and proofreading" part in the middle, then ending with something else that's done well.

Great advice, I do that myself. That is "criticism sandwich" - best way to give negative feedback! I am often hesitant but can't help myself, so end up pointing out the errors as best as I can using criticism sandwich!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
WAHM Regular

I'll have to remember that "criticism sandwich" technique. In fact, I think I'll try it on my husband tomorrow, lol!

I know I'm always anxious about coming across as too "nit-picky" when I address a potential client's flaws. I've actually found things that I thought were mistakes, but discovered they were making them on purpose to better match what people were searching for. No way would I do that on my own sites...it would drive me nuts!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 PM
WAHM Regular

I think you could - maybe even should?

I may not have many well honed skills in life at all - but probably the one thing I am good at is that I am a super speller LOL - so it irks me no end to see spelling errors and I correct people if I think they'd appreciate it. Without coming off as a nazi.

This is different from accurate typing and typos btw

Many people online are having a go as a non-native speaker, they might appreciate the help.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post

Absolutely! You want to let them know about the mistake, but don't want to offend.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Awesome WAHM

Thank you all for the advice!!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 AM
WAHM Regular

The errors can be amusing. I was reading a county government's stormwater regulations manual, and it said "Failure to not comply with these regulations" was subject to prosecution.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Well then you best be gettin' to breaking all of those regulations! LOL