Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered WAHM

Question How Important is Social Media?

I've been freelancing off and on for almost six years now. It was never a full-time career, but after a couple of major life changes like getting married and wanting to be self-employed, I'm looking to make it a permanent source of income. It's not been easy since a lot has changed from when I first started, but I'm dipping my toes in the water again.

One of the biggest changes I've noticed is the use of social media to promote your work. I hate to say this, but I really, really do not like social media. I don't even use it in on a personal basis, so the idea of creating one is not appealing in the least. Just thinking about making a website for myself is daunting enough.

My question is, how important is using social media when it comes to promoting/marketing your work? Do you see it as an absolute necessity or have you gotten along just fine without it?

Last edited by CharmingBirch; 01-01-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 03:23 AM
WAHM Regular

I use social media personally, but never for work.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:04 AM
WAHM Addict

If you plan on doing any rev share or ebook writing, then it's going to be important. It's also a good way to find some clients. To me it's making a big difference.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 AM
Registered WAHM

I guess it depends on what sort of work you're doing. For freelance blogging, the medium-sized sites will want to know you're going to promote things personally. If you're looking for private clients though, or shooting for the really big blogs, it won't make a lot of difference.

And yes, if you're going to try to sell your own books you will need to develop a following.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Grand WAHM

Social media can be a great method for getting quality traffic to your sites and blogs. It does take work though.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered WAHM

Being a Social Media manager, I'm going to tell you - you need it. When you freelance, you have to be the PR person, too.

But if it is daunting for you, you do not have to go to every SM platform and join. Research them and pick 1 that you feel you can learn easily and keep maintained. One that will accomplish what you desire in the long run. Each of them is different and give different results. So consider your target market and which SM platform will best serve you.

Once you dive in to SM, it becomes a job in itself. I don't just take over my clients' accounts, sometimes I have create them and then teach the client how to use them.

Even with only a website, you will still need SM to drive traffic to it to get clients. So depending upon what you freelance in exactly, maybe you do not need a website all. Only you can say.

There;s no going back to the way things used to be. Technology has exploded. Don't get overwhelmed by it - find what will be best for you and take it a step at a time.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think social media is a must. I read an article by Carol Tice about using social media to find better paying clients and it works. While I am on social media everyday I don't advertise my services each day. But, between sharing articles I have published on the web and advertising my services directly, I have been able to pull in some decent paying clients.

My highest conversion rates come from Twitter. So, that is the platform that I concentrate on the most. However, it does depend on your audience too. I have over 9,000 followers so the odds of some of them needing one of my services is pretty high.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:31 PM
WAHM Addict

I have noticed it's fairly easy to pick up followers on Twitter. I've been using it a lot more lately too. Second for me is FaceBook. LinkedIn just doesn't work well for me, not sure why.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Facebook is strictly personal for me. It's a great way for me to connect with family and close friends who are far away and that's the way I'm going to keep it. In searching for work options, I think I'll use Twitter. I do need to update my LinkedIn information. I've heard that Tumblr is useful and Google+ so I'll try those, too. I'm just getting started so there's a lot to learn.