Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanvi View Post
Thank you for posting more tips! I have two more questions about Elance and Odesk:

1) How long did it take you to start seeing results from the efforts put into the bidding sites?

2) Will getting a good review from a client for a non-writing job help me to eventually get hired for writing jobs on the same site?
In regards to question 1 - for me it was when I started putting forth effort to find and bid on things I was qualified to do.

In regards to question 2 - yes. I started out on odesk doing virtual paralegal work...and my feedback showed good writing skills and that I finished all projects before they were due. Then, I added writing samples and my portfolio. Now I routinely turn things away which I guess is a good problem to have.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me Robin!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanvi View Post
Thank you for posting more tips! I have two more questions about Elance and Odesk:

1) How long did it take you to start seeing results from the efforts put into the bidding sites?

2) Will getting a good review from a client for a non-writing job help me to eventually get hired for writing jobs on the same site?
For me I made sure I got the jobs in my skill set and also I saw results within 2 weeks of opening my Odesk account. And if you are struggling because you have no feedback find a private client and get them to hire you on Odesk as its a great way to get your feedback moving!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM
WAHM Regular

I haven't been back to WAHM for a little while, so didn't see your response at first Hanvi. I would say that some colour on your website is a good thing. I chose white because I like black text on a white background, as I think its a little easier to read.

I am looking to revamp my site though, and add some more colourful accents, like a logo, as I think my site's a little bland at the moment.

Also in answer to your other questions:

I think that it differs from person to person, but I would say four to six months at least for you to get ongoing work from bid sites.

I would recommend sticking to writing jobs. Clients looking to hire writers will be looking at what relevant experience you have had in the past, and non-writing jobs won't be ideal.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwldream View Post
For me I made sure I got the jobs in my skill set and also I saw results within 2 weeks of opening my Odesk account. And if you are struggling because you have no feedback find a private client and get them to hire you on Odesk as its a great way to get your feedback moving!
Wow! 2 weeks? That's awesome! And that's a great idea about asking a private client to hire through Odesk to help with ratings. Unfortunately, my only private client is a bit inactive at the moment. Guess I'll just have to hang in there.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBT View Post
I haven't been back to WAHM for a little while, so didn't see your response at first Hanvi. I would say that some colour on your website is a good thing. I chose white because I like black text on a white background, as I think its a little easier to read.

I am looking to revamp my site though, and add some more colourful accents, like a logo, as I think my site's a little bland at the moment.

Also in answer to your other questions:

I think that it differs from person to person, but I would say four to six months at least for you to get ongoing work from bid sites.

I would recommend sticking to writing jobs. Clients looking to hire writers will be looking at what relevant experience you have had in the past, and non-writing jobs won't be ideal.

Hope that helps!
Since starting this thread, I've only won 1 bid. But it's not even a writing job. I guess I'll just have to keep trying.