Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM
WAHM Regular

Question Crowdsource.com craziness

I started working as an answer writer on crowdsource.com about a month ago. I had some issues with the editors. Some of my answers were marked as fail for unnecessary changes. I did file a ticket, and the agent thought that I was right. I was promised that they will be overturned, but that hasn't happened in many weeks.

Anyways, yesterday a task I did was rejected for plagiarism, and I can't write anymore. The problem is that I always check the content on duplichecker.com, plagiarisma.com and plagium.com. All of them say that the content is free of plagiarism.

I can't understand why the folks at crowdsource.com are claiming that it's plagiarised. Has anyone had similar issues?

Last edited by Marakk; 07-31-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 02:20 AM
WAHM Regular

There's a lot of problems with the Q/A system right now. Have you checked the forums lately? Lots of issues with unnecessary fails and overturned fails not registering and no information on what exactly causes a fail and on and on. Not that it really helps, but you're not the only one having issues. About all you can do is contact support and ask about it. CS_Alex is the one who is handling the Q/A issues.

Good Luck
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the response!

Alex thinks it's clearly plagiarized

Resource 1: "Blue whales undergo a very elaborate mating ritual. The male and female spend time rolling around each other, then they take a deep dive into the ocean abyss as they continue to communicate with each other. Suddenly, they fly upwards and cross the surface, and as the do the male thrusts the penis into the vulva and ejaculates. Normally, they migrate near the equator to reproduce."

Your answer: "Blue whales use an elaborate mating ritual for reproducing. The male whale and the female whale roll around each other for sometime, and then they dive deep into the ocean abyss while communicating with each other. Then they suddenly fly upwards, and the male whale thrusts his penis into the female whale's vulva and ejaculates as they cross the surface. Blue whales normally migrate close to the equator for reproducing."

It is a rewrite. No questions about that. It doesn't show that it is plagiarized on all the free plagiarism checkers, like plagiarisma and duplichecker. What surprises me is that I thought the job basically is finding the relevant content and rewriting it. This source is the only source that gives information about the mating process of blue whales, which was the question. How can I include this information without rewriting?

In addition, I have answered 70 answers using the same method. None of them were called out for plagiarism. I don't know why this one was flagged. Any tips as to what I should have done in this task?

Last edited by Marakk; 08-01-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 AM
WAHM Regular

Passing a plagiarism checker isn't the only criterion for plagiarism. The passages you've included here may pass automated systems, but they really are a bit too close for comfort. You can still include the basics about the birds and bees of whale life, but it needs to be more than a word-swap to satisfy most human editors and clients.

Were you given this source and directed to use it? I found a bunch of other sources that had more detail. If you were constrained to one, you can try restating it in ways that aren't as close to the original word for word and sentence for sentence. Here's an example of what I mean:

"A blue whale's brain is about the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, so it's no surprise these intelligent creatures have evolved complex mating rituals. Like couples on tropical honeymoons, the whales move to warmer equatorial waters to do their mating dance. They get to know one another by swimming close and brushing each other's bodies as they swim deeper into the abyssal zone of their ocean home. After rolling around each other in the depths, they rapidly swim toward the sun as the male's penis penetrates the female whale's vagina. Although they can spend hours communicating before mating, the act itself typically takes less than a minute."

You're right that rewriting is some of what many jobs require, but we can bring a different voice and style to similar material. (Full disclosure: I don't write for Crowdsource, so I don't know if they want a consistent voice or give writers some leeway.)

Last edited by Liza Day; 08-01-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Day View Post
Passing a plagiarism checker isn't the only criterion for plagiarism. The passages you've included here may pass automated systems, but they really are a bit too close for comfort. You can still include the basics about the birds and bees of whale life, but it needs to be more than a word-swap to satisfy most human editors and clients.

Were you given this source and directed to use it? I found a bunch of other sources that had more detail. If you were constrained to one, you can try restating it in ways that aren't as close to the original word for word and sentence for sentence. Here's an example of what I mean:

"A blue whale's brain is about the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, so it's no surprise these intelligent creatures have evolved complex mating rituals. Like couples on tropical honeymoons, the whales move to warmer equatorial waters to do their mating dance. They get to know one another by swimming close and brushing each other's bodies as they swim deeper into the abyssal zone of their ocean home. After rolling around each other in the depths, they rapidly swim toward the sun as the male's penis penetrates the female whale's vagina. Although they can spend hours communicating before mating, the act itself typically takes less than a minute."

You're right that rewriting is some of what many jobs require, but we can bring a different voice and style to similar material. (Full disclosure: I don't write for Crowdsource, so I don't know if they want a consistent voice or give writers some leeway.)
Thanks for the response!

Writing in the style you mentioned was my bread and butter with my previous client. However, CrowdSource has very strict requirements. They need a source for every claim, and filler or unrelated content will also get you a fail, so will "will." No future tense. The tone has to be of an expert.

In addition, regarding the sources, they have rules for those too. Most of the sources that will be accepted by CS, such as .edu sites, say that not much is known about the mating procedure of blue whales. This is the only one that gave details about it.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Registered WAHM

Default This is Not Acceptable

I'm a writer at CS, not an editor or admin, but I've worked on the Q&A project for quite some time.

Not only was your rejection beyond justified, your banning was also. What you've posted here is naked plagiarism, and no client is willing to pay for that.

I wish I had a hard time believing that your previous 70 pieces were accepted, but CS doesn't have an automated plagiarism checker yet. I'm sure you were only caught at last by an unusually diligent editor.

Because you seem to be confused about why what you've done is wrong, I will explain.

First, you drew this from an unapproved source. In fact, reddit is the DEFINITION of an unapproved user-generated source. For that alone, this piece should be rejected with an admonishment.

Second, this is not a rewrite. A rewrite consists of reading the original piece and reorganizing the information you've obtained to produce wholly original content. In the sample you've posted here, you didn't even bother to reorder the sentences. You just copy/pasted the original (horribly written) source and moved a few words around.

CrowdSource does not pay for spun articles. You cheated the system and, at length, got caught. This client is notoriously picky, and passing one plagiarized piece along could cost us the contract. You took work out of the queues that an honest writer (me) could have done, wasted CS' money and time, and put the whole project in jeopardy out of either laziness or ignorance.

I just can't believe you work as a writer and think this is okay.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
WAHM Regular

For future reference, Copyscape has a free content comparison tool where you can paste the source material and your material and compare them. When I put these two paragraphs in the free Copyscape comparison, it comes back as a 35 percent match. It also shows where the problems are.

Some of the phrases you repeated are so precise that it obviously was a red flag. Phrases like, "elaborate mating ritual," "ocean abyss" and "fly upwards," for instance.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by He_Who_Abides View Post
I'm a writer at CS, not an editor or admin, but I've worked on the Q&A project for quite some time.

Not only was your rejection beyond justified, your banning was also. What you've posted here is naked plagiarism, and no client is willing to pay for that.

I wish I had a hard time believing that your previous 70 pieces were accepted, but CS doesn't have an automated plagiarism checker yet. I'm sure you were only caught at last by an unusually diligent editor.

Because you seem to be confused about why what you've done is wrong, I will explain.

First, you drew this from an unapproved source. In fact, reddit is the DEFINITION of an unapproved user-generated source. For that alone, this piece should be rejected with an admonishment.

Second, this is not a rewrite. A rewrite consists of reading the original piece and reorganizing the information you've obtained to produce wholly original content. In the sample you've posted here, you didn't even bother to reorder the sentences. You just copy/pasted the original (horribly written) source and moved a few words around.

CrowdSource does not pay for spun articles. You cheated the system and, at length, got caught. This client is notoriously picky, and passing one plagiarized piece along could cost us the contract. You took work out of the queues that an honest writer (me) could have done, wasted CS' money and time, and put the whole project in jeopardy out of either laziness or ignorance.

I just can't believe you work as a writer and think this is okay.
First of all, the content is not from reddit. It's from a .edu site.

Second, you are confused about originality and honesty. You, just like me, would have sourced the content from somewhere else and written it in a way that it wouldn't be flagged. It's not your content, and you have probably never seen blue whales hump each other. You can never be wholly original. You would have simply made it more different. You are copying just as much as I am. Think of it like this, you stole a car, but modified the exterior just enough to not be recognized by the original owner. I failed to do that enough in this task.

It's probable that duplichecker and plagiarisma are not as good as catching stuff as copyscape. Maybe that's where I made a mistake. A note for the future.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 AM
WAHM Regular

The only thing crazy about this is thinking you could get away with it, I'm afraid.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
The only thing crazy about this is thinking you could get away with it, I'm afraid.
Every human being is where he is based on the previous experiences. I have rewritten articles that have been gladly accepted by clients. Till now, I never had this issue with duplichecker and plagiarisma. Now that I did, I will adjust accordingly. Thank you!

Tags
crowdsource.com, freelance article writer, plagiarism, writing