Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakk View Post
I do understand the potential dangers of plagiarism, but how does an article qualify as plagiarised? If I had been a little more cautious and substituted more words, it would have been fine with the client. Would it have been a plagiarized article even then?
Yes.

As Blinky more or less said, writing isn't about reordering sentences and substituting words.

In black hat circles, that's what's known as spinning content. Spun content passes plagiarism checking tools all the time, but it's still spun content.

Taking someone else's article and simply substituting synonyms word for word doesn't make an original article. In your example, you didn't even do that - you just swapped a few conjugations here and there.

I think a lot of you may find this article interesting:

Examples of Plagiarism - Academic Integrity at Princeton University

See especially "Text example 3". As the article says, "Almost nothing of Kernanís original language remains in this rewritten paragraph. However, the key idea, the choice and order of the examples, and even the basic structure of the original sentences are all taken from the source."

If the fact that this "Text example 3" is an example of plagiarism comes as a surprise to anyone in this forum, he or she needs to stop writing professionally and go back to the drawing board.

Here are some tips, for starters:
  • Outline your article before checking any other articles: slant, subheadings, etc.
  • Reference multiple sources
  • Use proper citations when borrowing facts
  • Never take a phrase and "rewrite" it using synonyms (probably the most common way many web content writers plagiarize without even realizing it)
  • Never borrow another article's basic outline (second most common way)

I'm not trying to call out the OP, who clearly wasn't operating out of malicious intent. Unfortunately, this practice seems to be prevalent among many content writers, and many of them seem clueless about what they're doing wrong. So, heads up!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Then maybe you shouldn't come here and whine that you got caught for plagiarism. Insult me all you want, but that's what happened. You asked, we answered. Sorry you didn't like it, but you're the one who is in the wrong. Don't come to public forums and expect to defend unethical, illegal conduct.

Blinky
I don't have any qualms about being in the wrong. I accepted that I was wrong long before your arrival. However, the fact is that you quite clearly answered a question that was centered on the ethics of working with CS, and then claimed that you were answering whether my content is plagiarized or not. This is laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
blinky's Avatar
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 2,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakk View Post
I don't have any qualms about being in the wrong. I accepted that I was wrong long before your arrival. However, the fact is that you quite clearly answered a question that was centered on the ethics of working with CS, and then claimed that you were answering whether my content is plagiarized or not. This is laughable.
What??? Try making some sense next time. Again, if you want to ask questions and then insult people for answering them, go to another forum. You're the one who's laughable if you actually think the other 70 or 80 times you plagiarized and didn't get caught are okay, too.

Blinky
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rio View Post
Yes.

As Blinky more or less said, writing isn't about reordering sentences and substituting words.

In black hat circles, that's what's known as spinning content. Spun content passes plagiarism checking tools all the time, but it's still spun content.

Taking someone else's article and simply substituting synonyms word for word doesn't make an original article. In your example, you didn't even do that - you just swapped a few conjugations here and there.

I think a lot of you may find this article interesting:

Examples of Plagiarism - Academic Integrity at Princeton University

See especially "Text example 3". As the article says, "Almost nothing of Kernanís original language remains in this rewritten paragraph. However, the key idea, the choice and order of the examples, and even the basic structure of the original sentences are all taken from the source."

If the fact that this "Text example 3" is an example of plagiarism comes as a surprise to anyone in this forum, he or she needs to stop writing professionally and go back to the drawing board.

Here are some tips, for starters:
  • Outline your article before checking any other articles: slant, subheadings, etc.
  • Reference multiple sources
  • Use proper citations when borrowing facts
  • Never take a phrase and "rewrite" it using synonyms (probably the most common way many web content writers plagiarize without even realizing it)
  • Never borrow another article's basic outline (second most common way)

I'm not trying to call out the OP, who clearly wasn't operating out of malicious intent. Unfortunately, this practice seems to be prevalent among many content writers, and many of them seem clueless about what they're doing wrong. So, heads up!
Your method can't work for Q/A with CS. You need a source for every sentence. Add in their style requirements, and you will find yourself extremely limited. THe source I used is the only 100% acceptable source that gives the details about the mating process. The rest say that not much is known. It was a 200-word article. I couldn't have written 200 words with "not much is known." I probably should have gone with my gut instinct and skipped this task.

The only reason I am arguing right now is that I feel you guys are hasty in calling me unethical. This job is unethical. You can't write "original" content in this job Take this question for example: How is bariatric surgery performed?

It is a question that has to be answered with facts. You have to use a source for every claim or fact, and you can use only five sources. 200 words to write. You can't use passive voice, or future tense, or first or second person. Filler or unrelated content is unacceptable too. You have never performed a surgery. You have never seen a bariatric surgery being performed. Now you find a few acceptable sources that mention the process. You are taking content from them. You can use all sorts of tricks to make it unrecognizable, but that won't change the fact that it is taken from somewhere else. So I am being called unethical only because I failed to modify it sufficiently. If I did that, would I still be unethical?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
If I masterfully stole the content, it would have been legal and ethical?

The answer is NO. The content you wrote is exactly the same and does qualify as plagiarism. What you are failing to understand is that what you should be doing is reading other sources so you can learn enough about a topic to write your own ORIGINAL content. Your content was not original. I am a professional editor and I would have flagged your article, too.

Writing isn't about altering someone else's content sufficiently so you can fool others into thinking you didn't steal it. Writing is a craft. It's an art. It's a talent. It's a way to communicate your thoughts, ideas, and knowledge in a way that teaches and enriches others. It's not a regurgitation of what other people have already written.

Maybe you should take a step back and learn about the writing process. I know you're going to say that what you've done so far has been acceptable, but that's only because your client didn't know any better. That's why clients need professional writers and editors who do.

Blinky :-)
Read the question on the top. That question is what you supposedly answered, but in your second reply you said you answered why my content qualifies as plagiarism, which is something I accepted long ago. Seriously, you work as an editor with these comprehension skills?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
blinky's Avatar
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 2,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakk View Post
Read the question on the top. That question is what you supposedly answered, but in your second reply you said you answered why my content qualifies as plagiarism, which is something I accepted long ago. Seriously, you work as an editor with these comprehension skills?
I answered the SAME question, which is why your "work" qualifies as plagiarism. Another poster told you the same thing and you attacked that poster as well. The problem is yours. Either solve it or move on.

Blinky
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:05 PM
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
I answered the SAME question, which is why your "work" qualifies as plagiarism. Another poster told you the same thing and you attacked that poster as well. The problem is yours. Either solve it or move on.

Blinky
Oh boy! Except saying no, you didn't answer that question at all! The original content I wrote, which I accepted isn't good long ago before you joined the thread, is not even in question! The question is a hypothetical one. If I had modified the content enough to make it extremely different, would it still be unethical and plagiarized?

According to Princeton, it will be. However, is there a way to answer questions with CS that will not be unethical? If there is, enlighten me.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM
blinky's Avatar
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 2,937
Default

We did, but you aren't interested. So, all we can say now is either accept the advice YOU asked for or shut up and go away.

Blinky
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakk View Post
The only reason I am arguing right now is that I feel you guys are hasty in calling me unethical. This job is unethical. You can't write "original" content in this job
It's not my intention to call you unethical. As I said, it's obvious you weren't aware there was a problem.

But if, as you say, there's absolutely no way to avoid plagiarism when writing for CrowdSource (seems unlikely), then I'd run screaming for the hills before someone sues me for doing my unethical job.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
WAHM Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
We did, but you aren't interested. So, all we can say now is either accept the advice YOU asked for or shut up and go away.

Blinky
You did not. Rio just did in his/her latest comment. You work on your comprehension skills.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
crowdsource.com, freelance article writer, plagiarism, writing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off