Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Do you think one has to be a pro to be a freelance writer

I mean as long as you have good grammar do you think its possible to be a good writer for some of these writing companies that pay?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 AM
WAHM Regular

You become a professional freelance writer by writing for money. I'm not sure how anyone could be a pro before they start.

I became a freelance writer after studying math. I have no qualifications relevant to writing. I don't think you need them, as long as you can demonstrate that you have writing skills. With most sites, that means writing a short test article and/or taking a grammar test.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 PM
WAHM Regular

Yep, the hardest part is getting started.

I have one gig that's kicking off nicely, but in another I'm still a rank newbie with no feedback score yet. I feel like the Little Match Girl looking in at the feast.

Look for opportunities where you can demonstrate your skills by passing a test. You can at least get started, and once you're going, expect a few bumps.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Awesome WAHM

Are you asking if you need to have a journalism degree or have worked for a newspaper or something in that field prior to trying to be a freelance writer?

To that, I'd say no...but you do need to ACT professionally in order to be successful as a freelancer.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Super WAHM

Nope. I wish more "writers" that worked for those types of places took the craft seriously. Sadly, there's not much of a grasp of the basics of grammar (let alone the finer points of writing).

No, I am not a writing purist. Much like how not everyone was born to be an engineer, not everyone is born to be a writer. A professional writer means someone who is getting paid for it. All of the credentials in the world don't matter if you aren't being paid. Without money, you are a volunteer writer.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Super WAHM

To add to the great replies already posted, you don't have to be a pro, as far having a degree is concerned, in order to be a freelance writer; however, you do need a certain amount of creativity mixed with intuition. You have to also "feel" what your client is asking for.They love that because you give them what they want in a unique or better way than they could have imagined (that's were some of the creativity comes in). This is also one way to develop "your own writing style" as well. Make sure you have a thesaurus handy, it really helps....Good Luck!

Last edited by prosperg; 07-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.