Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Registered WAHM

There are several outdated forms of SEO that no longer work, and, in fact, can hurt a site's rankings, that people still pay for every day. Mostly because they just don't understand.

With the private blog networks WD currently uses, it's not that google shouldn't know that they exist. (if google didn't know about them, they never would have factored into rankings the first place) Ideally for WD and their clients, google bots see the private network blogs, but considers them regular blogs that were NOT created for SEO purposes.

What google is doing now is manually taking away the boost that blogs like those in WDs private blog networks offer clients. Eventually, they will work this into their algorithms and it will be automatic.

For WD to say, at this point, "we still have orders and clients" makes perfect sense. Of course they do. The private blog network purge has JUST begun.

The SEO world is moving away from linking stratgies and off-site content, and towards extremely well written, authoritative and informative content hosted on the main site.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 02:29 PM
WAHM Regular

I guess what I mean is Google management, not the search engine tool Google.

I was kind of hoping when these changes were rolled out that our WD articles would, in fact, become parts of actual blogs -- like those of a company website. It would make sense considering the quality level WD is demanding now. It's always been disheartening to me to think that I'm doing all this decent writing work that nobody will ever see.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Google management knows quite well that they exist.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:05 AM
Registered WAHM

Anyone know how long the waiting list is? I was accepted two days ago and was told I was placed on a waiting list. How long does this tend to last? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVermeer View Post
Anyone know how long the waiting list is? I was accepted two days ago and was told I was placed on a waiting list. How long does this tend to last? Thanks.
There's no work there. They hired too many writers already, but that doesn't mean you won't get accepted soon. It's impossible to tell. Obviously, it's in their best interest to hire as many writers as possible so every orders gets picked up and written immediately.

I don't know how the next month is going to go, but so far, pay cut + no work = really frustrating.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella R. View Post
There's no work there. They hired too many writers already, but that doesn't mean you won't get accepted soon. It's impossible to tell. Obviously, it's in their best interest to hire as many writers as possible so every orders gets picked up and written immediately.

I don't know how the next month is going to go, but so far, pay cut + no work = really frustrating.
Ugh. I was rejected on mTurk for being Canadian (I presume) and it seems a lot of writing content mills have next to no work. I could go with TB, but I don't want to write a 500-word article for $8. That's a rip off.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVermeer View Post
Ugh. I was rejected on mTurk for being Canadian (I presume) and it seems a lot of writing content mills have next to no work. I could go with TB, but I don't want to write a 500-word article for $8. That's a rip off.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Everything seems slow.

I'd say though that with WD's pay cut, their base rate isn't great either. Yeah, $15 is a lot better than $8, but they do expect high-quality, creative content that you have to write from scratch.

They can also reject for any reason or send you a complete rewrite. If you can get the hang of their rubric, you can get most of your work through OK, but it is a really subjective process. If you have to spend a lot of time on coming up with a creative angle, researching, writing it, then possibly rewriting, or even losing it altogether, the $15 isn't ideal.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella R. View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. Everything seems slow.

I'd say though that with WD's pay cut, their base rate isn't great either. Yeah, $15 is a lot better than $8, but they do expect high-quality, creative content that you have to write from scratch.

They can also reject for any reason or send you a complete rewrite. If you can get the hang of their rubric, you can get most of your work through OK, but it is a really subjective process. If you have to spend a lot of time on coming up with a creative angle, researching, writing it, then possibly rewriting, or even losing it altogether, the $15 isn't ideal.
Thank you for the info. I signed up with TB because at this point, a little money is better than no money.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyW View Post
I think this statement may have had some validity before WD changed its business model, but forum posts indicate that there are some fairly well-educated and accomplished people writing there. Many of them could probably do better than McD's if they decided to look for a brick-and-mortar job.

Who knows what'll happen after the first, but unless I misinterpreted, Jeremy pretty much said not to expect a large drop of articles at that time. Of course, he seems to be tripping over his own words lately.
Which words? We certainly want to be clear and not send mixed messages. We're happy to clarify anything.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannie View Post
I just logged in this morning. I'm very surprised they didn't put the cap back on, and even more surprised that they're actively hiring new writers.

They said in the forums that they've cut back on hiring, but that's obviously not true. Makes me question the credibility of everything else they're saying.

Here's the ad I saw:

Jobs for Bloggers - ProBlogger Job Board - Freelance writer (multiple writers needed)

Note that this site strikes through ads when they're no longer active, so WD is at least still advertising that they're hiring.

I'm not happy about the lack of articles, but the great part about working for yourself is moving on to the next place. I haven't been doing this long enough to have a huge savings account piled up, but I plan to work on anything and everything else until I do have one.

The people on that forum are snarky, to say the least. It's basically a bunch of people whining back and forth about needing money for [insert ridiculously needy thing here] and others yelling about veteran writers giving out advice that might actually help someone.

I feel sorry for the people who are broke, but some of their posts do make me wonder. I've seen some horrible sob stories on there, and I do sometimes question their veracity.

I'm more than a little irritated with WD right now, but they've always stated that they would rather have a large pool of writers who write a little than a small pool who write a lot. At least they're upfront about it. Pay cut still sucks, though.
You'll note the job ad is not for US/North American writers and any Aussies or Brits we hire do not affect the US/Canadian keyword pool. We're in need of Australian writers to meet the needs of our Australian clients. Currently, we have US and Canadian writers writing for our Australian clients, and our clients dictate that Aussies write for them exclusively.

Aside from the occasional outstanding applicant, we haven't hired North American writers in weeks. We're always adding good writers to the waitlist.