Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:48 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAHMBrenda View Post
I thought we could weed the good out from the bad and since there's already a "bad" thread, here's the "good" 1
Brenda,

I have not applied to any of these, but it might be worth the time if you're looking for extra work.

Become a Freelance Writer at Writtent in 3 Easy Steps | Writtent

Career Opportunities at WebSiteText.com

Freelance Writer Opportunity

Hire Freelance Writers | Scripted A.

* You may also want to join some of the LinkedIn groups for writers. I've found many good leads there.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleR View Post
These are only content mills we are talking about. A starting point for new writers to get their feet wet- not a way to build a full-time freelance career. It's like someone stating they support their family working sixty hours a week as a waitress. Yes, it can be done but do you really think it's the best choice? Is this something you would want to do long term?

If you can research for companies to apply, then I'm guessing you can market yourself to private clients too. Sending out fifty marketing emails a week to potential clients is bound to land you a few new private clients per month. Private clients have been around a lot longer than content mills. I see no reason to treat content mills like they are some secret gold mine. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but I've never felt I was hurting my income by helping others.
We aren't treating them like a secret gold mine. They are just a good source of income during lean times. When properly worked, mills can provide an EASY $20/hr or more. That's better than nothing when a client flakes.

You aren't helping others by giving leads. You are helping lurkers who won't even bother to post a thanks. If you insist on 'helping' others, do so through PM. Seriously. Mills that get bled dry don't benefit any writer here. Blabbing about mills is just a temporary fix for writers too lazy to do their own research. They will be back begging once the mill mentioned is bled dry.

Do you have an interest in selling how-to material to aspiring freelancers? It seems as if some purposely want mills bled dry so they can feast upon writers looking for ways to get work.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernansmom View Post
When I was a newbie, I lurked and did my own research; Google was my friend. I would never dream of expecting others to do the research for me. That's my job. After all, I'm a writer.
Same here. I dare I ask someone questions that I know have been asked many times before. I do my own research.

And yes, I will get snarky with newbies(or vets) who won't do their own research. It's a pet peeve.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
We aren't treating them like a secret gold mine. They are just a good source of income during lean times. When properly worked, mills can provide an EASY $20/hr or more. That's better than nothing when a client flakes.

You aren't helping others by giving leads. You are helping lurkers who won't even bother to post a thanks. If you insist on 'helping' others, do so through PM. Seriously. Mills that get bled dry don't benefit any writer here. Blabbing about mills is just a temporary fix for writers too lazy to do their own research. They will be back begging once the mill mentioned is bled dry.

Do you have an interest in selling how-to material to aspiring freelancers? It seems as if some purposely want mills bled dry so they can feast upon writers looking for ways to get work.
No, I am not selling anything and I don't expect people to thank me. This is a forum for writers and it's not a crime to publicly help one another. You and some of the other veteran writers like to scold newbies for not doing enough research. Maybe the same is true for you. Market yourself to businesses and web design companies on a consistent basis and you won't feel the need to panic when someone posts a comment about a content mill. The sky is not falling.

Yes, you can keep writing for content mills as long as you wish. That's your decision. I would think an experienced writer would want to increase their income and improve their skills. I guess that's not true for some individuals. Maybe they are afraid to step out of their comfort zone. If you're not charging enough to pay the bills, purchase decent healthcare and save for retirement, aren't you cheating yourself and your family? I hardly think $20 an hour is anything to boast about. Yes, you may be able to scrape by on it, but why would you want to when there are so many other opportunities?

I am done responding to sarcastic people who like to play the victim. If you are not earning what you desire, increase your efforts. I have no control over your income- only you have that power.

If any writer has questions that I can help with, I will answer them via this forum or private message if they choose to contact me that way. This forum used to be a great place for leads and advice. It should stay that way regardless of the economy.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, I am not selling anything and I don't expect people to thank me. This is a forum for writers and it's not a crime to publicly help one another. You and some of the other veteran writers like to scold newbies for not doing enough research. Maybe the same is true for you. Market yourself to businesses and web design companies on a consistent basis and you won't feel the need to panic when someone posts a comment about a content mill. The sky is not falling.

Yes, you can keep writing for content mills as long as you wish. That's your decision. I would think an experienced writer would want to increase their income and improve their skills. I guess that's not true for some individuals. Maybe they are afraid to step out of their comfort zone. If you're not charging enough to pay the bills, purchase decent healthcare and save for retirement, aren't you cheating yourself and your family? I hardly think $20 an hour is anything to boast about. Yes, you may be able to scrape by on it, but why would you want to when there are so many other opportunities?

I am done responding to sarcastic people who like to play the victim. If you are not earning what you desire, increase your efforts. I have no control over your income- only you have that power.

If any writer has questions that I can help with, I will answer them via this forum or private message if they choose to contact me that way. This forum used to be a great place for leads and advice. It should stay that way regardless of the economy.
Who is bragging about earning at least $20/hr? Earning at least that is very convenient during times when a client flakes. It's not bragging. Not everything is 100 percent in this business.

If I can turnaround and make $200 or so in an 8-hour day when a client flakes, I'm going to do it.

Why don't you come here and post info about your private clients? Help some writers out. Let them solicit your private clients. Give up your own income streams in a public forum.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:

Wow, you keep missing the point and choosing to make assumptions. No one here has said they completely rely on content mills, but even if they did, what's that to you? It's their decision, and it's not up to you to try to shame people into sharing their clients with everyone. Plenty of people live quite well on $20 an hour; you'd think you know that if you were that experienced at talking to newbies. And I believe someone mentioned $20 per hour and up anyway. I most certainly do think that's something to boast about, especially when you're not paying for daycare or commuting.

I, along with many others here, have helped out dozens of newbies via PM and in real life. But I don't think you understand just how many people read wahm. I lurked for a year before I signed up, and there were so many posts I never replied to. I think some people forget that it's more than a handful of people reading each thread, just because that's all that's replied. It's more like hundreds or even thousands. Like I already stated, I have lost backup clients from wahm threads. It's not just some fear that it might one day happen; it has happened already to me and others. The day someone finds out who you're writing for (if you're writing for anyone at all) and then posts the list, you'll understand. Until then, you don't have firsthand knowledge of what you're talking about.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 AM
Super WAHM

The only content mill/broker I write for regularly now is Scripted. On rare occasions, I will do level 4 work and direct orders on The Content Authority. So please rush over and apply to these companies.

I don't understand wanting everything to remain a secret on this forum. Even if no one mentions a mill on WAHM.com, there are many other places to find the same info - job ads, other forums, writing blogs, ebooks, etc.

I don't think that "blabbing" about content mills means you're "stabbing others in the back." I do think it's silly and arrogant to expect everyone else on the Internet to not publicly mention the names of content mills just because you may be depending on those mills to pay your bills.

I never would have responded to this thread if it had not been for those comments about “blabbing" and "stabbing," and being told how to "properly" share leads, and that childish taunt about disclosing private clients online. So, below I have listed several companies and content mills. I discovered all of them from job ads or from WAHM.com.

I doubt all the thousands of lurkers will apply, and, even if they do, not all will be hired. If people want to get angry at someone, how about directing that hostility at the companies that over hire or do something despicable such as lowering rates after hiring many new writers. Why blame the messenger? I guess it's easier to be rude, nasty, and sarcastic to other writers than it is the owners of these content mills, even though it's their actions that are putting you in situations you don’t like.

Anyway, here are some leads that I am publicly sharing.

Content Divas
Domainite
Consumer Search
Article Document
Copify
The Motley Fool
Contently
Great Content
Make Me Heal
CopyPress
Legal Zoom
Text Link Brokers
Need An Article
Money Crashes
How Stuff Works

P.S. Would anyone like me to list some more leads publicly?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM
WAHM Addict

Thanks to everyone who is willing to share
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Banned

There really isn't anything that was shared here that can't be found in the main sticky thread.

I've probably helped more people via PM than the two posters who "shared" here, but as I've said previously, I won't be shamed or guilted into it. I don't really get the sense of entitlement that some have.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanks View Post
There really isn't anything that was shared here that can't be found in the main sticky thread.

I've probably helped more people via PM than the two posters who "shared" here, but as I've said previously, I won't be shamed or guilted into it. I don't really get the sense of entitlement that some have.
Exactly. And you want childish and taunting? HWMM, your post is the very definition! No one is saying don't ever mention the names of content mills. Otherwise, there would be objections to half the posts on this forum. But threads like these really aren't necessary considering we have stickies posting all the mills anyway. The sense of entitlement I've seen from some newbies is crazy, because they're basically expecting you to do the research for them instead of the trial and error most writers here have had to go through. And the hilarious thing is that yes, a lot of lurkers WILL be applying to these mills you've posted. Again, I have seen proof of it; I have seen clients come here and say as much. So you can doubt all you you want, but it's reality. But hey, maybe you'll get lucky and won't be affected!

Closed Thread