Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Out of the blue - fired from DS

I've been writing for DS for the last few years. The last year and a half I've had other irons in the fire, so I've only written a handful of articles.

Today, however, I got a surprising email. It said that an article I wrote a couple of years ago contained plagiarized content and that my writing privileges are revoked -- effective immediately.

I am feeling really sad about this. I would never knowingly copy a source. I have a BA in writing -- I know how to write! I had excellent scores and had written dozens of articles for Demand. The article in question passed through the editors with an excellent score. I had absolutely no warning.

Any one else have this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Grand WAHM

I have not had this happen to me, but I am very sorry it happened to you.

You'll find something else.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlara View Post
I've been writing for DS for the last few years. The last year and a half I've had other irons in the fire, so I've only written a handful of articles.

Today, however, I got a surprising email. It said that an article I wrote a couple of years ago contained plagiarized content and that my writing privileges are revoked -- effective immediately.

I am feeling really sad about this. I would never knowingly copy a source. I have a BA in writing -- I know how to write! I had excellent scores and had written dozens of articles for Demand. The article in question passed through the editors with an excellent score. I had absolutely no warning.

Any one else have this happen to them?
It's more likely that somebody plagiarized your article. They might have used some automated software that picked it up. It would help if you could find the other copy on the Internet and work from there. I haven't had exactly this situation happen, but I have found that a friendly note to the help desk might help.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Making it work.

You wrote a couple years ago and they are just now telling you it's got plagarized material?? Boy, are they on the ball.

That's ridiculous.

I totally agree with MWriter. The most logical, sensible conclusion is that someone plagarized you. How stupid can DS be?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes! The article they have a problem with was written in 2011. Half of the sources named in the article are now 404s. The article was about the water cycle and pollution.

This is what they said:

Your Demand Media Studios article . . . was recently found to contain duplicate content with one of your references. Some content was copied verbatim from the source, in addition to similar phrasing and organization found throughout. Demand Media Studios takes plagiarism and duplicate content very seriously. Unfortunately, we cannot allow you to continue writing for DMS because of this issue. Your writing permissions have been permanently removed.

Best of luck.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Super WAHM

Default Out of the Blue ...

So sorry Katlara.

Yep, it happened to be a few years ago. Said I plagiarized an article about a leech. They were my first content place and I was so very disgusted. Still am. They sent me an e-mail like yours except it wasn't as nice. It was insulting, as a matter of fact. Basically told me I couldn't write even though I'd been there for about -- I dunno, a year.

The only reason I hope DMS doesn't go out of business is that too many people are still making a living over there. Heard they had some trouble with Google or something not long after they kicked me out. Served them right!

You'll get something better, Katlara! I did!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Ugh. I hope so. I did not copy anything. That's what burns me up about it. I am not upset about that egg -- I am upset that they would dare question my integrity like that.

I had been writing for DS since 2010 and had great ratings and editor feedback.

I am working on my own blog, though, and hoping that helps. And I've found that TB is less stress, so that's nice.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Katlara,

What DMS sections were you writing for (ie--Nutrition, Education, Science, etc)?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 AM
WAHM Regular

Home & Garden
Green Living
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM
WAHM Regular

They periodically fire people en masse. It probably has nothing to do with your writing.

I used to write for DMS quite a bit, and I can tell you that you're better off without them. I know it may not seem so at the moment.

Last edited by TjCharles; 04-01-2014 at 06:01 AM.