Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:47 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Who Else is Fed Up With Scripted?

Today, I've had it- I'm throwing in the towel with this site. Of course, the few hundred dollars I made last year makes it much easier, since I feel the site is going nowhere. Here are my beefs, and wondering if anyone else shares the sentiment or whether this was just an example of a bad fit for me.

1) The "reject" option. Recently a job was assigned to me where the instructions were very unclear. In the past, I've been burned by putting a lot of work into a project only to have a client "reject it" for random reasons i.e. "The tone just doesn't work" (I hate that kind of feedback- it's totally useless. Give me real examples). When the client rejects, which they always have the right to do, they only have to pay the writer 50%. So who is to stop a one-time client from rejecting everything, cutting their costs in half? If the instructions are vague, the feedback is vague, and there's the potential to reject my work regardless of how strong it is, what is the purpose? Needless to say, on other sites, where I have literally had hundreds of clients, I've had maybe 2 or 3 reject the work like this. With Scripted, it happens one out of every four.

2) The pitch section. There are occasionally some decent jobs over here, but you have to scroll through months-old crap to get to them. I'm talking about pitch requests that have random codes and numbers, more unclear requests like "write about IT write about IT write about IT" where the client obviously has no idea what they want, etc. Going through all that for a $24 job, that oh, by the way, can also be rejected? Again, no thanks.

3) The irritating requests for feedback. I constantly get surveys from them, requests about how they can do better, and the like. I always respond with specific feedback (which is a courtesy writers don't always get, as I mentioned above) and nothing ever comes of it.

4) The "time-linked" job offers. When you log in, it shows you what jobs are available, but says "Job available in 36 hours, 20 minutes." Well, I am not going to sit around waiting for that time to arrive for a measly job- and usually someone else is in there to snap it up anyways. Isn't the benefit of freelancing that you're on your own clock for the most part? Personally I just can't stand sitting around begging and pleading to get some job.

5) The pay schedule. I'm used to working with private clients who put down a deposit and pay within a few days of a job closing out, not getting paid once or twice per month. It simply makes it harder for me to track what's coming in and when I should expect something, so I'd rather not. This is just a matter of personal preference for me. Prior to this system with bank deposits, they used to do Paypal and I frequently had errors (including a time they double-paid me).

What it all comes down to, for me, is user functionality. There are so many wonky issues with the site I asked for my account to be canceled today. I know there are tons of people out there who hate Elance, while I love it. I can't stand Odesk, but I know there are writers who make money there. Perhaps this is just an example of me not meshing well with Scripted, but I was curious what you all thought.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 05:51 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I had to laugh the other day when I received an email about available pitches - one topic was about the best Paleo/organic foods. Then the "Things To Avoid" section stated "food topics." OK then...that would make the article pretty tricky to write!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 AM
WAHM Regular

I'm glad it's not just me. Before I asked for my account close-out, I saw pitches on there that requested so much detail, I wondered why the client didn't write it themselves. Something like "Write about this specific type of car, and you must include one photo that has X pixels, and you should use bullets, and subheaders, and they must be high quality. You also shouldn't include the word "good" or anything like that, but you should use positive words to describe our car."

What a waste of time.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 AM
WAHM Regular

At the weekend, I stalked several jobs (yes, that's right, I watched the clock tick by so that I could catch the time-linked job offers). Upon submitting my finished articles, two of them went straight into screening and a few hours later I got edit requests for both. In my articles, I had included some definitions and common facts. While I won't go into specifics, I will say that there were sentences along the lines of "Cheese is an excellent source of calcium". The edit requests said: "Please rewrite these". I tried my best to change these sentences without losing the meaning of the piece/making it scientifically incorrect, yet the jobs went straight back into screening (and remain there...I'm waiting to see what will happen next). I feel like tearing my hair out.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I did about 10 articles for Scripted over the past month as sort of an experiment. I got two edit requests and the rest went through no problem.... after they sat in the "pending" section for over two weeks. Finally they were approved and payment went through correctly. Kind of annoying that they don't use Paypal, but whatever.

So... I'll keep my account active in case of a slow period, but right now I'm anything but slow. I find it better than Demand Studios and Textbroker, as well as mills go, anyway.

PS. I saw that one with the paleo/organic food but don't mention food pitch request. Ridiculous!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I haven't had too many problems there. I do see lots of articles I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole due to the weird or extremely picky instructions, but I just ignore them. I have been kept pretty busy over there for months now, but projects do come and go, so that's not always the case. I haven't gotten many rejections or edit requests, but when they occur, I do feel like throwing in the towel, so I definitely understand that frustration. But then I get a bunch of articles accepted with no edit requests and I resolve to keep writing there while I can. And the twice monthly pay is fine by me, but I wish they would use PayPal because the other site just takes so long to process the payment.

So the site is not perfect, but no worse than other writing sites I have been on. If you do well with Elance (I don't!) maybe that is just a better fit for you. There are definitely other writing sites I can't stand but everyone else loves them, so I totally get this!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:18 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks all for sharing. I got a response to cancel my account with a comment that they were going to have many other types of jobs available in the future and that I shouldn't cancel. The staff member acknowledged that some jobs are super specific and others are less clear.

Appreciate all your feedback. I'll keep it as my very last-ditch emergency egg.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Awesome WAHM

I like Scripted, but I've had a lot of issues lately. I had one article reject because it wasn't what the client was looking for, but it did follow all the requirements, so I don't get it. A majority of my work goes through with little to no problem, so rejects like that are ridiculous to me. Then, they never put an article in my edits queue. It was still under my "finished" tab, but it had edits on it to do. I didn't know I had to do it. They told me they would be putting it in my queue. I finished all of my other work, and I was going to finish it when I was done. However, I was told I had two hours to finish it, but I didn't even read this email until after my two hours were up, so It was rejected. I had how long your articles sit and don't get accepted. I like to get paid on a timely manner, not two months after I write something.

Last edited by mommy2onelittleboy; 03-18-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I have had pretty good luck with Scripted, but you definitely have to pick and choose projects. Some have very specific requirements and call for significant research, which is not worth the $30 or whatever. I actually prefer the pitches because you have more control over the article. When you select one that's posted, you really don't know what you're getting into until you see the guidelines. For some articles, I think the pay is way too low for the work required (e.g., travel or city guides).
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2onelittleboy View Post
Then, they never put an article in my edits queue. It was still under my "finished" tab, but it had edits on it to do. I didn't know I had to do it. They told me they would be putting it in my queue. I finished all of my other work, and I was going to finish it when I was done. However, I was told I had two hours to finish it, but I didn't even read this email until after my two hours were up, so It was rejected. I had how long your articles sit and don't get accepted. I like to get paid on a timely manner, not two months after I write something.
I've also had some issues with work not appearing in the correct queue on Scripted. I'm an editor there, and jobs can sit in my claimed edits tabs for up to a week sometimes after I've submitted them.

I kind of wish that Scripted had some way of communicating directly with clients. I've had jobs come back for editing with no feedback before now, and clients aren't notified if you leave a comment on the job, so you can't ask questions. Then if you contact support, it takes 3 days to get a response, and edits are supposed to be completed within two days...