Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered WAHM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Default If You've Been Burned, I WANT To Know About It! Writing Sites You've Been Burned By?

Us writers need to stick together.

I see a lot of recommendations, but what about the "not-so-good" websites? I'm looking for work, but I want to avoid companies that aren't worth my time. So, where have you had blatantly bad experiences?

The only site that I ever got ripped off at intentionally was London Brokers when I first started. Took me for $30 and banned me for a hyphen error. It was like- this. On the brightside, I did learn the proper way to use hyphens after that. I've worked at very few sites, most were reputable, so I haven't been ripped off much yet.

Lets call out these shady companies, so they don't harm writers.

But don't just say you got ripped off. What'd they do?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 369
Default

I haven't really felt burned by any of them to any great extent. There have been times when a DMS ed has caused me to pour a larger glass of pinot noir than usual and turn off my computer for the night, and I felt fairly gamed by a certain managed team at TB a few months back. For the most part, though, the content sites I've written for have been good to me as far as paying on time and so on.

.

Last edited by Miss Aurora; 01-26-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Author & Entrepreneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 99
Default

Sites that are deliberate about ripping off writers are usually doing so because of the attitude and policies of the business owner.

I often see online businesses go through major changes when there is a change of ownership and/or management.

If unsure about a site, I suggest finding out a bit about the people that own and/or manage it. You can do a few quick checks on their name to see if they have a bad rep.

You can also do google searches like:
"name of website" scam
"name of website" review
forum "name of website"

Be sure to filter results so that you get the most recent results (within the past 3 months).
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 PM
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 65
Default

Just a comment-- while it is unlikely that you may find a company retaliating for you against this, I'd suggest that any recommendations be prefaced with "this is my experience." Statements of opinion are almost completely proof from slandar or libel accusations, while statements of fact aren't-- it also has the advantage of being true-- I have had absolutely horrible experiences and yet know other people who had an excellent experience with the same client.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 AM
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 85
Default

The only writing site I signed up for was Bubblews. I cashed out in 7/22013 and they never paid me. I contacted them several times. They just say they are looking into it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:50 AM
WAHM Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Aurora View Post
I haven't really felt burned by any of them to any great extent. There have been times when a DMS ed has caused me to pour a larger glass of pinot noir than usual and turn off my computer for the night
I think that's a circumstance experienced by many
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Awesome WAHM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeLivre View Post
The only writing site I signed up for was Bubblews. I cashed out in 7/22013 and they never paid me. I contacted them several times. They just say they are looking into it.
Similar story here, Bubblews has been the only site I've got burned by. I am still writing in e-mails to them to get them to pay my redemption. Quite sad, they seemed so promising...!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori786 View Post
Similar story here, Bubblews has been the only site I've got burned by. I am still writing in e-mails to them to get them to pay my redemption. Quite sad, they seemed so promising...!
Ditto to this one. I have gotten some funds, but I am still fighting and its been over 4 months.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 AM
colly5's Avatar
Super WAHM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 463
Default

Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Awesome WAHM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly5 View Post
Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.
That's awful - you're better off without them. I hope though you get your money back!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off