Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Awesome WAHM

I have been burned by Jeff Elrod and he owns cashpowerinfo.com - he is not a writing company but is one of the biggest spenders on Odesk so if you use Odesk or Elance you will see him on there.

He left owing more than $3000 to his writers and his other staff in mid 2013. There are loads of rip off reports on him so you might already know about him.

I have seen very limited content on his site since so I don't know who is working for him now or if he is doing the work himself.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoutwriter View Post
Us writers need to stick together.

I see a lot of recommendations, but what about the "not-so-good" websites? I'm looking for work, but I want to avoid companies that aren't worth my time. So, where have you had blatantly bad experiences?

The only site that I ever got ripped off at intentionally was London Brokers when I first started. Took me for $30 and banned me for a hyphen error. It was like- this. On the brightside, I did learn the proper way to use hyphens after that. I've worked at very few sites, most were reputable, so I haven't been ripped off much yet.

Lets call out these shady companies, so they don't harm writers.

But don't just say you got ripped off. What'd they do?
I started a thread sometime back about suing content sites. The freelance writing industry is totally unregulated and content sites can pretty much do as they please as you can tell by the stories in this thread.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly5 View Post
Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.
Wait a couple of days and do a search to see if they used them.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Registered WAHM

I'd be leery of Ozio Media. I'm still there, because they do pay...eventually. You're required to invoice weekly, and the payment page says you'll get paid weekly, but I have yet to get a penny without having to email the owner and ask. The work isn't bad, I do like my team lead, but the payment process is a disorganized mess.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Here's a Wait.co.uk review: it's awful. Their pay rates are very low (less than $0.02/word), and every article comes back for edits 3-4 times because the editors keep changing their minds about what they want. You have to figure out ways to include completely irrelevant links in every article, and if the editors don't think you've hidden them well enough, they'll send the article back for edits with no suggestion of how you could more appropriately include the links - you just have to keep trying until you hit upon something they like. They also say in their T&Cs that they fine writers 4000 (around $6500) for using an image that turns out to be covered by copyright (each article requires an image to accompany it).

I've asked to terminate my account as they have a minimum 2 articles per week requirement - I'll update later with details of whether or not they actually pay me for the work I've done and had approved!

Last edited by springtulip; 02-05-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post
Wait a couple of days and do a search to see if they used them.
This is good advice. If you have not been paid for articles, then you still own the rights to them. You are entitled to post them on your own site or on an article directory such as Hubpages, or resell them to another client (for example by listing them on Constant Content for sale). If the company refuses payment, let them know that you'll be posting the articles yourself - once you do this, they lose value to the client as they are no longer unique content. You can also contact the end client to let them know that you haven't been paid for the content, so they are breaking your copyright. Writing sites aren't too keen on writers trashing their reputation with their customers, so if you let them know that you'll be going down this course of action, you might find they budge on deciding not to pay you.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by colly5 View Post
Funny I just came on this post. I literally just got burned by Hirewriters. Wrote 4 articles for them the other day. 3 of them came back 5 star rated and accepted. 1 came back for a revision. Lost my internet yesterday (netgear card needed to be replaced). Came back this morning to do the edit..couldn't...asked why. Was told I was fired because I didn't do the edit in time. Unreal. No warnings, no number to call in incase of power outtage, internet problems etc. Just fired. they owe me money too.
You should still get paid for the 3 that were accepted, minus the penalty for doing the edit (its the same fee displayed if you didn't do it at all). If an article is rejected or you didn't turn it in on time, it shows as fired and doesn't give you any further details. You'll see the money Friday afternoon, provided there is at least $10 in your account.

In my experience, if you work with HireWriters:

1) Never trust the timer displayed on the site, it can be inaccurate (which is a browser issue but can throw you off) Keep notes about your due dates and try not to work at the last minute. Those fees can add up and will affect your rating.

2) Save a hard copy on your computer before handing it in - if its rejected (my rej rate is 7%, but average is 10% I believe) you can use it elsewhere. HW doesn't allow you to access your work after its turned in.

3) Always do the edits. If it isn't worth your time or something has come up, contact the buyer who can then reject it or send you a mutual cancellation to avoid the fee.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Registered WAHM

WritingByCyndi, this woman shut the site down and opened up a new one owing several of her writers money. While in the beginning she was always on-time and paid, she started giving excuses and making things up. She had rather large clients that paid well. To this day, the woman owes me over 2k and other writers just as much. Goes by the name of Cyndi Slick (ironic). I do not remember the name of the new site but beware.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Author & Entrepreneur

Lightbulb

Just a quick tip to avoid getting MAJORLY screwed.

Place a limit on how much work you will do before they pay you. I try to stick with about $100 as the max amount of writing I will do before I insist of being paid for what I have already done.