Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM
WAHM Regular

Default portfolio suggestions?

I finally bit the bullet and registered my portfolio website - it's a wordpress subdomain for now, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Maybe that was setting the cart before the proverbial horse, because now I realize that I don't know how I want to set it up.

Can you all point me to some examples of good writers' portfolio websites? I want to show off my versatility (I do short form, long form, poetry, computer animation work, relationship pieces, essays, personal work, blog posts, spiritual things, etc etc etc); I want to show that I can do some graphic work as well.

I'm just not sure where to start, and the few examples I've already saved aren't terribly helpful at this juncture.

Any input is welcome.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Super WAHM

I would recommend grouping your samples according to their niches. I focus on medical, legal, and B2B writing, so that is how I am going to be setting up my portfolio (I just installed the WP Portfolio plugin on my site, so I can't show you how it looks yet -- I gutted the site and redid it, and this is the last piece of the puzzle).

I'm going to have a screen shot and short description of each piece. The potential client will be able to click the screen shot and view the whole sample. I'm not sure if you can use plugins on a Wordpress.com site. I haven't used one in ages.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
WAHM Regular

can you give me more information about this WP Portfolio plugin? Sounds like what I might need for my site as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookwriter1 View Post
I'm not sure if you can use plugins on a Wordpress.com site. I haven't used one in ages.
I asked a similar question on the WP site, and they told me that you can't use plugins on a WP.com (WP hosted site) because you don't have FTP access -- you need to have a self-hosted WP.org site. I'll be dong that eventually, but not right now.

So now I need to choose a cool enough theme for my work. Which one did you use, or which ones might you suggest? I've gone through the list and picked a few; it just remains to be seen if I can make them work with what I have.

Last edited by jponorato; 01-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Tags
portfolio, question