Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrielyn13 View Post
This thread has been amazing! Thank you LBD, it could not have come at a better time as I just published my first eBook (erotic short story) this week. I've run into a few issues and I'm using this as a trial and error, but I'd love anyone's input.
1. How do you find book rankings? I am struggling to find where my book lands on lists. you'd referenced looking at books in the #20,000 range, I'd love to research my genre a little more but I can't find the areas to do so
2. I am trying to use social media for marketing but it's so slow. A couple friends have purchased but I'd love to get it out to a larger audience.
3. I can't think of #3 right now, I know I had one.

I'm really working hard to get content out, but as other's have mentioned I want quality over quantity so it's taking me a bit of time.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am enrolled in KDP select but I believe I can't use them for promo's until I've been available for 30 days?
My cover I used the amazon cover creator, is that a bad idea? Clearly I need help!! I've linked the book below if anyone wants to look at the cover and give me an opinion I'd so appreciate it.

After Hours

thank you thank you!!
Erotica is a different animal than other genres. The key to making it with erotica is to publish LOTS. Once you've published one, just move on. There are a lot of groups on FB that you can use to promote your books - take advantage of those. PM me if you'd like a list of the groups. You can use the free promo at any time. But when you do, plan to spend time promoting it as much as possible because the more downloads you get the better. The more free downloads you get, the more you will appear in "also boughts" of other ebooks.

I know that personally, I can't afford to put a lot of money into covers either but I don't like the cover generator at Amazon. BUT if you can dish out $30 for a pre-made cover you'll get a lot better results. You can PM me for some good pre-made cover lists, too if you like. Otherwise, I use a combination of PowerPoint and PicMonkey.

For erotica, your book is actually priced just right. Anything in the 5000 word range will easily sell for $2.99. Like I said, erotica is just a different genre and the rules are different.

Keep at it. Write more. Try writing a series and make the first book 99 cents or perma-free. Save up some money for covers.

Persistence is the key!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

How many pages are typical e-books? Do you type your book into Word, or such, and then upload it somewhere?

I do not have any book ideas at this time but will work on that!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderone View Post
How many pages are typical e-books? Do you type your book into Word, or such, and then upload it somewhere?

It really depends on the genre. With erotica, 5000-15,000 can be priced at 2.99. over 15,000 can be 3.99. But then if you're more on the erotica ROMANCE the length expectations are a little longer. Mainstream romance and other fiction genres are even higher.

For non-fiction, there's a lot of variety. It depends on the competition. I sell my Bubblews ebook at 99 cents and it is 40 pages. There's little competition but Bubblews writers don't want to pay 2.99. My freelance writing ebook is just over 60 pages and sells best at 2.99.

Figure out what you want to write first and then go into the categories and look at the top 100 best sellers. And look at new releases in categories, too. And top selling authors in categories. They are often not the same thing. Knowing your market and what they want, where the gaps are, and what they are willing to pay is half the battle.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:

If you look back thru this thread, I covered typical book lengths in one of the posts.

This really does vary though. To get an idea of the number of words your fave author has in a book, go to the book description on Amazon. Look at the number of pages and multiply by 250. That will give you a ball park range.

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 01-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaw View Post
I know that personally, I can't afford to put a lot of money into covers either but I don't like the cover generator at Amazon. BUT if you can dish out $30 for a pre-made cover you'll get a lot better results. You can PM me for some good pre-made cover lists, too if you like. Otherwise, I use a combination of PowerPoint and PicMonkey.

Persistence is the key!

I am partners in a cover maker software and I make all my own covers and really enjoy it. Sometimes I even make the cover before I write the book for inspiration! You can also get covers made at Fiverr for a few bucks. Just be sure to supply the worker with a photo you have license to use.

As far as erotica covers go you have to use care. You want to get your message across but at the same time you do not want to get the ADULT flag that Amazon will give you if your cover crosses their line.
Be careful of hand bras, nakedness etc. on your cover or you could get the ADULT flag which makes it ultra hard to find your book.

Last edited by LilBlackDress; 01-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Another note, there are differences in erotica.

If you are writing erotic romance in most cases you will have to have more of a story and write more words than if you were writing fetish type erotica.

I see fetish erotica selling for a lot for 10k words. Where as the more traditional erotic romance is longer. Just my observation.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered WAHM

Default ebook cover publisher

If anyone is interested, I can give you a very effective way to publish a cover for your ebook at very minimal cost and do multiple covers for additional books, software, ect. There is also an opportunity to publish your books and also develop private label deals. For more insight, go to my blog (bradleybohmer) or email me.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post
If you look back thru this thread, I covered typical book lengths in one of the posts.

This really does vary though. To get an idea of the number of words your fave author has in a book, go to the book description on Amazon. Look at the number of pages and multiply by 250. That will give you a ball park range.
I found your post; thanks!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
I found your post; thanks!
I dont really aim for a word count when I write mine. I say what needs to be said.

That said if you end up writing short books, be sure to note that in the book description so customers are not surprised.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 AM
WAHM Regular

Thinking of rehashing some of my college creative writing short stories (which I no longer have so I'd be going off of memory lol)

How's the market for short slice of life fiction with a slightly dark twist? About 3,000 to 4,000 words each.

Tags
ebooks, kindle, kindle publishing