Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Looking for a Writer

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I am a photographer and looking for someone to write some content for me. I am great at photography but writing and finding time to do it is not me. I am looking for 1-2 articles a month. This will be more like a press release type article, so about 300-800 words, keywords used ever so often so they can be hyperlinked back to my site. I can provide the keywords that I would like for each article.

I might be interested in blog content as well which could lead to further work maybe 1 article per week, plus the 2 news releases per month. So to start maybe 2 articles and if things go well up to 6 a month or more.

You don't need to know about photography but I do have some topics that I would like covered. Some research may be needed if you are not familiar with the needed content, or you can ask me for info, I can provide points or answer questions about the topic to give you more info.

How much would I be looking at? Would it be per article, monthly, or what? I know someone just starting out might have lower rates then someone established.

I am posting this here instead of looking for a site that will be a middle man. I would prefer to deal directly with the writer as well as give back to this community/forum as it has provided me with great info.

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Awesome WAHM

Typically, you would pay either per word or per article. For ongoing work, you'd want to work out some type of payment arrangement. I have clients that pay me weekly and others that pay monthly. And as you mentioned, rates can vary significantly. I charge small businesses $25 per blog post. However, you may find writers who are willing to do the work for $10 or even $5.

I would definitely recommend starting slow before entrusting one person with all your work. There can be a lot of trial and error involved in finding a writer who matches your style and tone. You may even want to hire a couple writers to complete single articles before choosing one to continue on with.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Tommy,

Great advice from Maryalene. I agree with all her points and definitely suggest you try a couple of writers out. It may also be helpful to obtain a sample post in addition to those that people send you. Many writers require payment upfront for these, some may agree to write one up and just retain rights to it if unused. Communication is key, you've definitely come to the right place though.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered WAHM

I can definitely do this for you. I have experience writing on several websites as well as paid reviews on Amazon and Yelp. I will give you 500 words, give or take, for 5.00 via Paypal. I also have an interest in photography and may even have and article prepared, that was rejected by other user.
Lets talk more
George ([email protected])
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyH View Post
I know someone just starting out might have lower rates then someone established.
Lower rates are not necessarily just for new writers, many foreign writers with a lower cost of living are happy working for a penny per word or less, but while saving money, you may end up having to do a lot of rewriting to change spellings or grammar errors. I had a woman writing for me who claimed she was from the U.S. and sent amazing samples, but her work after that was incredibly sloppy, full of UK English that I had to fix, and then when I checked properties, her location came up as Africa. I ended up spending as much time editing and rewriting her work as I would have writing the articles myself.

Most writers base rates on how long it would take them to do an article. My husband's job covers most of our expenses, but since a liveable wage in my area is up to about $18 an hour, I set my rates so that I'm earning at least that. For some jobs that require no research that can me writing for as little as 1.5 cents a word, but for others where I have to footnote everything, it means writing for 5 to 10 cents a word.

I'd narrow down a list of candidates and then pay them to do articles over a span of time, however long you need. From there, pick the one you feel fits your needs best and offer the job. Definitely have a list in place though. Between writers who blow off deadlines, those who plagiarize material, and those who find they don't like the work and back out, finding a writer can be a time consuming process.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses. I agree I think paying for a few articles from different writers would be best. I did not realize that even some established writers will only charge that little. I was expecting much higher rates then what I have seen from your responses.

This is very positive for me as it can afford me to look at several writers and hopefully not have to do grammar, spell check, and some rewriting myself. Until I find one that suites my style and what I am looking for. I have received a positive response from members here. I will be working on contacting everyone over the next few days.

Thanks again for everyones input.