Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Super WAHM

Arrow Any Succes With Elance?

Hi...I'm just wondering if any of you have had any success with Elance. I decided I will give them a try and wanted to hear stories any of you might have about them...Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 AM
WAHM Regular

We just added them as one of our affliate programs have hear positive things about them. soory not better help.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM
WAHM Addict

I didn't have success with them, but I know others who swear by them. I've honestly done better at Odesk. With Elance, I signed up and bid on a job doing travel articles for a company in Spain about three to four years ago. Rate was set for articles of 200 words each covering the location and sites in every town and city in Spain - 20 articles delivered once a week for $100, with payments submitted weekly when each batch was sent and approved.

The first week went perfectly. When the second week ended, she said that the article's length was troublesome and that she wanted to add gastronomy and history of these Spanish towns and increase the word count to 400 words. I said it would cost more since I was now doing more work, especially when it came to history because some of these towns were tiny and had little online presence. Her response was that I was already getting plenty of money and that I'd agreed to the job without putting any stipulation about more pay for more works. I went to Elance who said they really couldn't do much in that situation. I ended up with negative feedback from her and no pay for the last week I bothered working.

Things may have changed more over the years to help protect the freelancer better, but I've never returned to find out.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Super WAHM

I have never had any luck with them. I have looked at some of the profiles on there and some appear to have good luck, but the competition is pretty tough. Plus, some people bid really low, which just cuts you out of the equation if you have to make more than that to survive.

I have also had many of the clients on there reject me stating that I charge too much. I have tried to go middle ground on bidding prices, but when someone is bidding a quarter of what I am bidding, I can't compete with that.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

Elance has been very good to me. Through Elance connections, I have found some very good buyers including my main client. However, it took a lot of weeding through a lot of junk before finding quality buyers. I also spent more than 3 months bidding before I landed my first job there.

However, it's been a while since I've been on Elance to look for jobs, and I know they have made changes since I was there last (i.e. lowing project minimums, etc.) so it might be different now.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
WAHM Regular

It's hit or miss, but I make a lot on there (it replaces the income of my FT job that I left this summer). That being said, there are some really terrible clients on Elance. One, in fact, who left me threatening voicemails and reversed the charges at his bank, so I lost out on $315 for a complete webpage I had written. I can say positive things about their dispute resolution system outside of that scenario, but there are a lot of posts for $5 for 1000 words, etc. Just ignore them. I have found that most clients realize they get what they pay for. In fact, one of my clients hired me to do 20 articles for him after he had paid pennies on the dollar for an Egyptian firm to do it and then received garbled nonsense that he couldn't put on his website.

I am actually working on an ebook about how to be successful on Elance- I did a webinar for new freelancers using the site last February and now that I have been there for a year, have some insight.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went to the Elance website, but I'm not really into the bidding thing. I was just wondering if anyone had success with them because people bid so cheaply. I can't work for those rates...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered WAHM

I love Elance! Yes, there are definitely some bad seeds in there that pay too low to even consider, but I have found several of my highest paying clients through there.

Like someone else mentioned, you just have to weed through and ignore the postings offering well below what you are willing to work for. If you have a strong portfolio and writing samples, you can definitely find clients willing to pay what you are worth. Don't undercut yourself or give in to a job paying pennies, be patient with it and the good clients will come, in my opinion.

It certainly didn't happen overnight for me, and I have submitted countless proposals that were rejected for bidding too high or just ignored all together, but I have also gotten several wonderful, ongoing clients through Elance that understand and appreciate paying higher for quality work.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 AM
WAHM Regular

Elance seems to go up and down in waves. Sometimes there's no way to compete with the international writers and other times there's a good amount of work that only wants American writers. I was lucky to get in at a good time, got a five star average, then got large set of high paying work with an Italian client. He didn't speak English well, gave me poor feedback and seemed surprised when I asked him what I had done wrong. I explained that my 5.0 average was down to 3.something because it's weighted based on the price.

He contacted Elance to fix his error. Unfortunately, they have a policy of not fixing feedback and I haven't been able to get good work since then. These days, I do content mills mostly and am hoping to build up a group of private clients from there.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've had mixed results with Elance. As someone said, there are good times and not-so-good times. I've done better on oDesk personally, but I'd suggest trying Elance out for yourself before coming to any conclusions based on the experiences of others.

Tags
elance, stories, writing