Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

Default That's Scary

So my old writing website had a domain I still want, but haven't kept up with the payments. I was just looking to see if it was still available, and it said it was taken. So I clicked the "whois" button to see if it was still mine, and it gives ALL my personal information. Not that anyone would check to see, but if they did, they could see my full name, email address, physical address, and phone number. Is that even legal?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Awesome WAHM

It's not just legal, it's required. You have to pay a proxy company to obfuscate that stuff, which I did (I do NOT want my phone number that easy to find, thank you very much).
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Banned

Okay thanks. I'm more concerned about my address than my phone number. I wonder if I should get a PO box and have it changed to that?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
WAHM Regular

I always pay the extra two bucks for domain privacy. That way, it will show my name but it displays the contact information (physical address, etc) of the domain company. I've thought about getting a PO box too, just in case.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
WAHM Regular

It's VERY scarey and worth it to pay the extra fee to have that information hidden!
Years ago I used to play an MMORPG, and made friends with a guy who seemed super nice.
We used to exchange information on upcoming game changes and I gave him my email address which has my domain name in it.
Harmless at the time I thought.

On the game he started becoming obsessive and started telling me he was in love with me and begging me to leave my husband for him. Then he started calling me by my real name and told me he was looking into plane tickets to come see me in the state I lived in at the time. This is information I never gave him.

Turns out he found me by searching the whois on my domain, then did some google searches on me.
He knew: my full name, address, phone number, he even told me my kid's names!
He made it well known he knew everything about my life.. all from finding me through my domain name. Trust me when I say I watched my back everywhere I went for awhile.
Spend the money, protect your privacy!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info! I had no idea it was so easy for other people to find that information. Luckily the site never got anywhere, so I'll definitely do that before I start it again.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 AM
WAHM Addict

If you're listed in the phone book, your number and often address also appear online. It's one of the many reasons we switched to Vonage. Here, we have to pay the local phone company extra to have our name and address kept out of the phone book.

If you own a home, your name and address is public information with the town clerk. When they reappraise homes, they send out a booklet that list everyone's name and address to every address in the town. It's so that you can compare the value of your home to other similar homes in your neighborhood to make sure the pricing is fair, but it still gives anyone who gets hold of the book your name and address.

Then there are horrible sites that pull your information from school records and LinkedInand post it. MyLife is one of them. I managed to get them to take down my address and old (parents) phone number, but they still have me there listing where I went to school, my age, and the town I live in.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Banned

The Internet is a terrible place for a super private person!