Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Super WAHM

Default OT: How do you feel about FB Groups?

Specifically, I was wondering how do you all feel about friends and relatives putting you into Facebook Groups without your consent? I personally, hate that! I'm annoyed because someone I know added me to two business groups on FB. I don't mind if someone suggests on FB that I might like a group, so I can decide if I want to join and support the group myself. I can't stand it when someone puts me into a group (without my consent) even if I might be interested in the group!

By the way, does anyone know if there's a way to prevent people from putting me into groups?! You can see how this power to put people into groups might be abused, right? What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hmm, look through your privacy settings. I bet there's a way. Once you leave a group, no one can put you back in unless you join again on your own, I'm pretty sure.

No one really adds me to groups; I've been added to a few local groups, but they were things I was interested in, so it was fine. I can see how being added to a group that you don't want to be a part of would be really irritating, though!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Ugh, I know! I've been added a few times and like WTH! From googling this, it seems you can't stop this act. They even have a FB page (Why can't I stop people adding me to groups?) HAHA
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, the problem is that there is no way to "invite" someone to a group without automatically adding them to it. I started a group a while ago and went to invite people to it, and at the time had no idea I was adding people to it. They have a really faulty system with the groups.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Awesome WAHM

There is probably a way to get off the groups but it takes time and knowledge. What I hate are the sites on major search engines that have people listed with inaccurate information. To get off the list, you have to give them your ss# and use credit cards. They have me listed with people I don't even know. That stuff often gets put on credit reports and other documents.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Super WAHM

DRIVES. ME. NUTS. That's why I never add anyone to anything without asking first.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM
WAHM Regular

I don't have a Facebook. I have almost caved a few times because I thought it might help me with getting writing work, but I have some serious concerns about privacy and FB collecting/using information. My husband belongs and some of his relatives are very political. It seems as if he's been added to some of these groups and they are actually the opposite of his political views.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
WAHM Addict

I had a Facebook but got rid of it. I studied privacy policies and made sure my settings were as tight as I could get them. I specifically left out my address and gave a cell phone number rather than our house number. A guy decided he loved one of my posts and started calling my cell phone number every day. He wasn't on my friends list, and my settings did say that only friends could access phone numbers, address etc., so I was baffled as to how he got my number. In the end, I learned that while my settings were private, when I posted to our local news, I was giving permission for other members of that news group to access my profile, even if it was set to friends only.

Simply wasn't worth it to me to stay with Facebook.