Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default This Is My "Real" Job

Reading JWinter's thread reminded how much I hate the attitude that this is just something I do until something better comes along. Writing/freelancing is my real job. It's how I pay my rent and bills, how I buy groceries, how I put money in the bank, and how I take my dogs to the vet. This is what I spend 8-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week doing. It's not a hobby, it's not just filling a gap between employment, it's not a substitute for a brick & mortar job. I wasn't forced to write because I couldn't get another job -- I CHOOSE to do this. It has its flaws, but so has every other job I have ever had. Regardless of the stress of finding clients and the ebb and flow of work, it's still less stressful than any other "real" job I have had.

Not only am I sick to death of this attitude by friends and family, but clients and even other contractors are saying the same thing. I have nothing against someone who doesn't plan on doing this permanently, it's not for everyone. But please don't insult me by assuming this is a fake job and when you finally stop freelancing, you will have a real job.

Last edited by *In*2*Win*; 07-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

You know what irritates me more? When I see people on forums who are "fellow writers" or freelancers use the term "real job" when referring to what we do. I'm not just doing this for extra pocket change or because "gee I need something to do while the hubby is at work." Nope. I threw everything into this career move and this IS my "real job."

I often wonder what people think is fake about this job. We login in hours, we provide services to clients, and we are paid for the work we provide. In brick and mortar jobs we would go in, login hours, provide services to bosses, and we are paid for the work we provide. I can understand the view from someone who is new to freelancing or who has never done it. It's when it comes from the mouth of someone in the industry with us that makes me want to scream. Combining that with someone who comes to us for work and acts like the concept of work is a suggestion rather than a job and then I'm just overly ticked off.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

This has given me another idea for a blog. The things I could tell you about the brick-and-mortar jobs I have had would make a movie of the week. Unfortunately, we live in a society that awards bad behavior. Corporations and businesses will not win any prizes for their actions either. I am actually seeking a brick-and-mortar job too, and the feeling I get in the pit of my stomach about it is not good.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Writely Applied

Someone here shared this before I think.

Freelance Writing Isn't a Real Job | Xtranormal
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Super WAHM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbirdy66 View Post
Someone here shared this before I think.

Freelance Writing Isn't a Real Job | Xtranormal
LMAO!! I almost fell off of the bed. I am still laughing. So freaking hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Awesome WAHM

I hate that mentality as well. Not everyone who freelances only does this for fun. I, for one, do it to support my son and to take care of bills. I don't ever plan on going back to a brick and mortar job, where I was underappreciated, underpaid, overworked and overstressed. My stepchildren are actually the two who tell me I need to go get a real job because being a SAHM/Writer isn't even close to having a real job.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM
WAHM Fanatic

If someone in the industry says, "time for me to get a real job," then I just assume that for them, it isn't a real job. Maybe it's a hobby or they're writing for a couple of hours per week and making a few dollars. Maybe they can't find any clients to work for. Who knows?

I know that I'm working a "real job," though. It makes me real money, anyway, and we pay real bills and go on real vacations with it!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by christent04 View Post
LMAO!! I almost fell off of the bed. I am still laughing. So freaking hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
That is too funny!

"R E A L job."
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
WAHM Regular

Default a REAL job

I faced a lot of skepticism when I left my career in healthcare to work from home. I wanted to be home with my son and babe on the way, but mostly was sick of the politics and BS that happens with every job, in every field.
When I see them now and they see that I am still going strong and happy as ever, that skepticism is now placed with something else-envy.
A 'real" job is one that puts food on the table consistently and (hopefully) brings some worth or happiness to your life.
Kuddos to all those with the courage and know how to make it work!!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 AM
WAHM Addict

The way I look at it. I made more in this job last year than my brother who owns his own restaurant, and that was only working 5 hour days most days, while he was working 12 hour days 6 days a week.