Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Freelance Writers: What is/are your niche(s)?

I hope this post is not in the wrong place.
As a person who is fascinated with the lifestyles of freelance writers, I am hoping to get an idea of what are the most common niche(s) for freelance writers.

In terms of your skills as a writer, would you consider yourself average, good or excellent?
What is/are your niche(s)? Health and Fitness? Fashion? ...
Which site/company are you working for the most? Do you work for this site the most partly because other sites have a shortage of jobs related to your niche(s)?
Is it common for you to accept jobs that are not within the scope of your niche(s)?

Thanks for reading #=] I look forward to reading the responses you might provide!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

I would rate myself as good. I tend to mainly focus on health, wellness, fitness and nutrtion; however, I also consider fashion, style, parenting and home as my strong suits as well. Currently, I'm working for a private client the most. I tend to rely on content mills as least as possible. It's not common for me to accept jobs outside of my niche, but I definitely do it when I have to.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:23 PM
WAHM Fanatic

In terms of your skills as a writer, would you consider yourself average, good or excellent? I'd say good to very good.

What is/are your niche(s)? Health and Fitness? Fashion? ...I enjoy fashion, pets, health, education, and beauty the most.

Which site/company are you working for the most? Do you work for this site the most partly because other sites have a shortage of jobs related to your niche(s)? I have accounts with many of the content mills that are discussed on the forums and with a few others that aren't mentioned as much. I go back and forth depending on who has work.

Is it common for you to accept jobs that are not within the scope of your niche(s)? Yes, and I don't mind as long as I can research the topic easily.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 AM
WAHM Addict

I've had clients say I'm excellent, but I still think I'm just good. I think it's very hard for writers to be subjective about their own writing. I've seen other writers who say they are superior and had to heavily edit their work while others who said they were mediocre were excellent...

I'm a former travel agent, so I try to stick to travel writing, but there are other topics I've spent so much time on that I know far more than the average person. Senior housing, stereo equipment, computers, are all things I've spent months or even years writing about for private clients.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Awesome WAHM

In terms of your skills as a writer, would you consider yourself average, good or excellent?

I am like Anng on this one. I've had clients say I am excellent, but I don't put myself in that category. I believe I'm good at what I do and the niches I have chosen. That's the other thing. The topic really sets the tone for my skills. If it is a topic I am not familiar with at all then I'm average. If it is a niche topic I consider myself good. I never put myself into the excellent category because excellent is something that greatly depends on several factors.

I have several. Green living, senior living, sustainable/self-reliant lifestyles, homeschooling, 2nd Amendment/firearms, homesteading and home/garden.

Which site/company are you working for the most?

This is something I choose not to answer. Most of the companies or sites I work for are common knowledge in the writing and freelancing community (TB, WA, etc) however, I have two are three that are my "secret ones". I don't tell anyone who they are, how much they pay, etc and those are the ones I work with the most. It took me a long time to find them, build up my workload with them and I just keep those to myself.

Do you work for this site the most partly because other sites have a shortage of jobs related to your niche(s)?

I wouldn't say that no. Like most freelance writers I go where the money is. If there is a $25 article on Writer Access that is on a love list of mine, I'll grab it regardless of the workload somewhere else. It's not a shortage of jobs issue. It's a money per article issue, turn around time on acceptance, payment time, etc.

As far as it being related to my niches, that really isn't it either. Less than 5% of the articles I take are outside of my niche and those are from long term clients that have had the topics before, just not often. I'll take them but I do get paid extra for those since they are usually last minute requests. Certain topics (technology, science, etc) are outside of my niche in such a way that I won't touch them anyway.

Is it common for you to accept jobs that are not within the scope of your niche(s)?

Not at all. A topic that is within my niche, due to my knowledge and hands on background in my niches, takes little effort to write. I can have a solid, well written and high quality article in my niche ready to go within 15-20 minutes. I know the topic, resources, and reference points with little to no effort. That means I can handle around 3-4 per hour and my hourly rate stays between $30-$60 an hour depending on the client rate for that set of articles. Taking something out of my niche means that I need more research time and could limit myself to only 1 or 2 per hour depending on the complexity of the topic. That means I'm making less than half an hour. It's just not financially wise to do.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Which site/company are you working for the most? Do you work for this site the most partly because other sites have a shortage of jobs related to your niche(s)?
Well, I will go ahead and say that my skills as a writer are between very good and excellent. That's my own opinion, though, and the opinion of those who pay me to do what I do. I'm sure that there are some who would say that my skills are mediocre, or those who would say that they're good; it's not really an objective question.

I write for private clients. I have three main clients who give me a lot of work, and a few smaller clients who give me a small amount of work each month. My main niches really are just geared toward my main clients: parenting, travel and home improvement. Those aren't necessarily my greatest interests or even what I know the most about; it's just what I write about most often. I also write a smaller number of articles about social media marketing, small business management, real estate, tanning salons and health.

I will only venture into the unknown when the price justifies the effort required. My typical rate is between $50 and $60 per hour, so if I expect that I'll need a full hour to research and write an article, then the client will be charged accordingly. Of course, sometimes a topic for a regular client will take that long, and I won't charge that particular client more than I usually do. If it happened more than occasionally, though, then I'd need to revise my rates for those types of special projects.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
WAHM Regular

Like others, I've had clients praise me and say that my work is excellent. However, I consider myself to be good or very good.

What is/are your niche(s)?

I enjoy writing about technology, online marketing techniques, green living, fitness, food, and herbal or alternative medicine/treatments.

I work with mostly private clients. However, I am a member of a variety of content mills which I use if other work is slow. Although that is rare for me.

Now most of my work falls within my niches. Although I do take on work that isn't in my niche subjects as long as I can research it.