Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Irritated with a New Client add ons

I took on a new client and they sent me the work today. The work isn't the problem. The additions to the contract agreement are. Among other things the client wanted me to use a time log software that I strictly state early on with clients I will not use. The software is similar to Odesk in that it takes snapshots of your screen while you are working.

I let every client know two things up front. The first is that my pay is per article. This includes research, writing and editing of the article. I do not do hourly rates. Period. The second thing I tell clients is that I will not use any timelog software that takes screen shots of me, my computer or any aspect related to the two. The reason for this (and I tell them this) is due to the fact that I have several clients and overflow writers that contact me during the day and evening through various messenger platforms. I have NDA's with all of my clients and due to those and the privacy of my overflow writers I will not allow software on my computer that screenshots anything. I have multiple clients and if the client wants one writer to only write for them then they need to move on since I do not put all my eggs in one basket. Now, I say it nicer than that but you get the drift.

Anyway, this client goes through all this with me and then states at the very bottom of the email tonight "please login to the timelog software." Um....NO. I told you I didn't do it. I told you no. What part of no didn't you understand? I made it clear several times this was a no go for me. I basically emailed the client back and reminded him that we discussed this and this was an absolute deal breaker if it was required. I'm just irritated. Do clients lately really believe they can get contractors to do whatever at the last minute even if it goes against our guidelines?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Super WAHM

I know. I saw that requirement with Odesk. It makes me reconsider trying to get work through their website. I don't really want screenshots of my screen on display for all to see. Some people do believe they can just throw something in there. I think some believe that you won't notice.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Awesome WAHM

Well, its not a requirement. It is up to the client to have you use it. With writing though I only have the rare client that wants to use it and then when I mention NDA and other clients and the fact I get paid per article they back off of it.

But, yeah I've had a lot of potential clients lately that throw nonsense in their that I clearly said no to at the start. I guess you are right. They won't think we will notice.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Super WAHM

Oh, thank goodness. I thought it was a requirement. I haven't completely read through everything.

I'll keep the NDA in mind for future reference when I run into a situation like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Sorry Megan! Sounds like you have been having quite the ordeal with your PCs recently!

And I would never use a program like that. It is a complete invasion of privacy. What if I was doing confidential work for another client when they decided to screenshot me? That would be a big problem.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Awesome WAHM

I haven't had this situation exactly, but I recently had someone contact me about writing for them. I quoted them a price for the work we stated, and he agreed. Then, as we were getting started, he kept throwing extra work in there. For instance, he wanted me to do market research to find prices for all of his competitors. He also kept emailing me with very detailed questions in regards to how he should go about his content strategy. I kept explaining that social media, competitor research, marketing consulting, etc... were separate services and they were not included in the prices I quoted for writing his web pages. He eventually got mad and hired somebody else. I guess he thought I'd do all the extra stuff for ****s and giggles.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM
WAHM Addict

I think in some ways it's a cultural difference too. I've noticed this, especially with men from other countries. More specifically, I've noticed it in men from higher economic classes within their countries. They are so accustomed to getting what they demand from people who work for them that they'll agree to the minimum initially but constantly try to add on extras for free. Most of them feel you'll do it without complaint because you want the job--and I'd be willing to bet that it works for them eight times out of ten.

In the past when it's happened with me and I finally lost my cool over it, four out of five apologized and went back to the original agreement. I only lost one out of the five who tried this over it. I talked it over with DH and we both decided I was better off without that client. No client is worth THAT much aggravation.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbullock View Post
I think in some ways it's a cultural difference too.
I've found that's true. I have a client from overseas who has always paid me $15 per article for 400 words, and makes it a point to tell me how lucky I am to be in the U.S. and earning that much. They recently announced that they don't feel they're getting the best value for their money and wants to change me to a per word rate. I guess 2 of my last 10 articles were right below the minimum word count, though my word counter on Open Office showed I was fine, but bottom line is they said I'm short.

The funny thing is that the other 8 articles were 100 words or more over when I made sure I had all of the main points they wanted in the article, so in the end, paying me the per word rate they've now changed me to is going to pay me more in the long run.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbullock View Post
I think in some ways it's a cultural difference too. I've noticed this, especially with men from other countries.
You could have a point. The guy who did it to me was not from here. And, most of my more difficult clients have been from elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Awesome WAHM

I had a client recently who changed things midway into our relationship and though I don't know for a fact where he was located, I got the impression, based on his somewhat formal writing language, that English isn't his first language, so there may well be a point to this cultural thing.

I've turned down work where clients want me on screenshot. I consider that a huge invasion of privacy. I'm an independent contractor, not an employee, and as long as I get their work done the way they want it and on time, they don't have a right to demand how I do it.