Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Default Your 2013 Plans

Have you thought about next year's work or personal plans?

I am starting to contemplate where I want to take my business and if I want to take anything else on. I'm considering PLR possibly (I hear it's dying but some are still successful) and maybe Internet marketing. I like writing but it might be time to branch out. I tend to get comfortable and not push my way out of the cushy little bubble.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Awesome WAHM

I just took some time out the other day to contemplate my business goals. Over the past 5 years, I've basically stuck with content mills because it seems easier than actually getting out there and looking for work. So, I've decided that this year I'm going in a different direction (not entirely, but still).

I put together a monthly budget for the year. I know this is probably something that I should sit down and do every year, but I don't and then I'm kicking myself when I have to scrabble for extra cash. However, because I want to focus more on building a passive income, I took into consideration everything I could think of that we spend money on throughout the year, broke it down into monthly amounts and came up with a total I need per month. (Yes, I know. It's super simple and I should have done this from the get go lol)

I've decided that for the most part the content mills I work with will be my main source for my monthly income. But, I've created a work schedule that allows me X amount of time each day to spend working on finding PCs. I also want to focus on ebook writing and affiliate marketing, so I set monthly goals to get that type of work completed. I figure as my passive income grows, I can slowly dwindle away the content mills (or buy lots of cool stuff)

Anyways, that's pretty much my plan. I'd love to hear everyone else's though.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 AM
WAHM Regular

My son starts school next year, so I am hoping to be able to grow my business as I will have more time available for writing. I'm looking forward to being able to set a proper schedule rather than working in fits and starts around the demands of a pre-schooler.

I don't have any set plans yet other than to work on gaining some more PCs and devoting some time to working for other sites regularly to keep a steady income coming in. I'm also beginning to work more on my two blogs now as in the future I'd like to do more of my own work such as setting up blogs and websites.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreelanceelf View Post
My son starts school next year, so I am hoping to be able to grow my business as I will have more time available for writing.
Just be aware that sometimes, you don't have as much time as you think. I always thought it would be easier when my kids started school, but instead I was hounded by the PTA to join up. I resisted every time, but then the school asked me to be a parent/teacher and said it in front of my daughter who thought that was the greatest thing ever, so I got sucked into that. I'm glad I did it, even if it did take me out of the home three days a week for the full school day. All of the kids in her grade know me and now as teens, it's been amazing watching them all grow up and seeing how many turned out as I thought they would.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
Just be aware that sometimes, you don't have as much time as you think. I always thought it would be easier when my kids started school, but instead I was hounded by the PTA to join up. I resisted every time, but then the school asked me to be a parent/teacher and said it in front of my daughter who thought that was the greatest thing ever, so I got sucked into that. I'm glad I did it, even if it did take me out of the home three days a week for the full school day. All of the kids in her grade know me and now as teens, it's been amazing watching them all grow up and seeing how many turned out as I thought they would.
I have to agree! I always thought life would be less hectic when the girls started school, but I'm honestly more busy during the school year than I am when they are home (They are 9 and 11, so they know not to bother me when I'm working)

During the school year, I volunteer in my daughter's classroom one morning per week and I'm constantly running kids here and there-- activities, friends, after-school programs... it never stops.

Also, where I live there is only half-day kindergarten, so when my youngest started she was only gone a couple of hours per day....

The key is to plan your schedule wisely. I always schedule my family obligations first and my work around it so that I can enjoy my girls while they are young. Try getting up an hour or two before you have to take the kiddos to school -- that's when I get the most work done! Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I'm at the point where all of my income is made through private clients, which was my goal for this past year. I've also been able to hire a writer for about 15 or 20 percent of the work that I do. For this year, I'd like to ramp up my marketing; I'd like to get to the point where I'm able to outsource about half of the writing to one or two trusted writers.

One of my personal goals (but this still has to do with business) is to be able to spend three months or so each year up north. I can work from anywhere, and DH can arrange it with his job, too. We homeschool, so the kids' education isn't an issue, either. This is not only a financial goal, but a logistical one as well; I'm not sure how to go about procuring housing for a short period of time up north. Ultimately, we'd like to spend the summer months traveling (the United States and the world), but I'd be happy to spend the summer and early fall of 2013 in Connecticut, where much of our family lives.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I'd be happy to spend the summer and early fall of 2013 in Connecticut, where much of our family lives.
It's just the opposite for me, I hate being up here. Summer is all about deer ticks, and they didn't use to travel up into Vermont, but this year has been insane. There were hunters who left the woods giving up on hunting because after just a few minutes of hunting, they had ticks crawling over their hands. With Lyme Disease, I loathe those nasty things. Even now that we've had frosts and some snow, my puppy came in with two ticks, one I spotted, and the other I found engorged the next morning, so they don't seem to die easily either.

I spent a few years when I was young outside of San Francisco, but my Dad hated the Silicon Valley craze in the 70s and got out because the 80 hour work weeks were too much. I find myself longing to go back there, but it's so expensive now. The house they paid $15k back in 1972 for is now worth well over half a million, even with the housing market collapse.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Awesome WAHM

2013 may be my domino year. I've made a grand total of $800 (profit, not gross) this year because I'm fed up with being exploited by content mills, but haven't had a lot of luck on the PC front. I try to charge what I need to make and I think I'm being undercut by people who live in cheaper areas. That's life.

But dominos.

My first novel should, if all goes well, be coming out in the spring.
I have a comic book that is in production with a hopeful release of some time next year.
I sold a story to what I consider to be the best SF market on the planet and am hoping this will translate to more short fiction sales and more sales of my novel.
I just got a lead on a PC who, if HER business gets set up well, has work for me and is willing to pay well for something relatively easy and enjoyable.

Got them all set up. Hopefully I can knock them all down.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
It's just the opposite for me, I hate being up here. Summer is all about deer ticks, and they didn't use to travel up into Vermont, but this year has been insane.
Yeah... I'm in Pennsylvania, and the ticks have been CRAZY this year!

Anyway, I haven't officially checked this year yet, but I don't think i made my goal of doubling my income from last year. I think I made a little more than last year, but alas! I didn't double it.

I guess that means last year's goal will roll over to this year. I've started picking up a few better paying gigs, though, so hopefully I'll come a little closer to my goal in 2013.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Awesome WAHM

With writing... I'd like to push forward with the blogs I've had ideas for. I'd like to ramp up my marketing efforts and up my income with higher paying clients. I'd also like to do an eBook or two.

I'm also in discussions about another business venture. I'm still debating, but that may be on the agenda also.

Personally, we're adding rooms onto our house. Then, we have the idea that we are going to build a new house using natural and salvaged materials. My husband built the house we're in, and we have connections to zillions (okay, not zillions, but dozens) of contractors in the area. I've done tons of research on this, and have seen people get it done. My parents have also offered to let us build on their land in the country, so we could start collecting materials right away. I know it will take a long, LONG time to accomplish...but I think if anybody can pull it off, it's my husband.

The addition comes first, though, as we don't have room to breathe in this house...and if we're going to stay here while we build, it needs to be bigger. We hope to break ground on the new rooms early next year.