Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Ignore or Explain?

Most of you know that I outsource overflow when I have it and when I can. I don't really ask for much. I ask for the work to be turned in by the deadline and I ask that the work be suitable for a private client. Suitable for my clients means that the writer exhibits at least a first year college writing level equal to an English Comp class. Spelling, grammar (not perfect but not three paragraphs of run on sentences either), decent readability, etc.

If someone flakes on me I tend to give them a second chance. This has worked out good and bad. If someone turns in poorly written work that does not meet basic formatting, has numerous spelling errors (as if they didn't even hit the grammar check button) and is written on a 9th grade or lower level then I don't consider them again. I pay them for the one article they completed and tell them I no longer need their services.

I know some of you have had the same issues and that is why some of you don't hire from the boards anymore. So, what do you do if you do still hire from the boards and receive consistent messages from someone who delivered horrid writing, was late and basically you have already stated you do not want to work with again? Do you ignore the messages, do you remind them of the incident or do you explain in detail the issue with their writing even if it may come off as cold or mean?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Your time is precious -- ignore him/her.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:04 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I say ignore the person.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
WAHM Addict

I ignore unless the person is very pushy. I have had one person keep emailing me asking when I would be hiring them, and a simple "I've contacted those who landed interviews" didn't work. In that case, I was as honest as I could be. I took snippets of the sample and explained why the phrasing, grammar, spelling, etc. was incorrect.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and I think after a few attempts, I would just give up. The fact that he/she is still trying probably means they need to be told simply you aren't interested in their services. If they're from this forum, it probably isn't necessary now lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks guys. I didn't want to seem rude with them, but I've tried everything else. I've tried the whole "I found the writers I needed." I've tried approaching it by saying that I needed people with a background in the topic so that little research would be necessary and if they had that background to please send me a published sample showing their byline. I've tried just ignoring. I have seen this person beg for work and have heard from fellow writers that they have done the same thing with them. It isn't really flaking on those of us offering overflow. It's just delivering work that (no offense) TB wouldn't take as entry level. During the last few weeks I've received messages from the person asking me time and again to consider them. I just ignored them or said the position was filled. Now, though its getting a bit much. I guess I'm just going to have to be to the point and remind them that they already tried working with me once and why I can't accept their request or work. Maybe they have just applied to so much and done this so often they can't remember who they wrote for?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
Maybe they have just applied to so much and done this so often they can't remember who they wrote for?
I can say when I am looking at ads and things they do tend to run together. On the other hand though I would have taken the hint... I mean it sounds as if you have tried to be nice about the situation. Some people still don't listen though.. Hopefully it will stop soon I know that has to be frustrating...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
WAHM Fanatic

That's a tough one. I would probably just tell the writer that he/she isn't a good match for the assignments that you have available, based on previous work.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'd probably tell the truth after the second email. That said, I also get annoyed easily.

Now... if she's contacting you once every six months, I'll give her that. If a company has expressed a possible interest in working with me, I'll send them a reminder "Hiya!" email once every few months. How blunt were you the first time? If she thinks there is a slight chance of more work, she might be fishing for it.

If she's contacting you weekly, though, I would give it to her straight and let her know that her work didn't meet quality standards.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinHill226 View Post
I'd probably tell the truth after the second email. That said, I also get annoyed easily.

Now... if she's contacting you once every six months, I'll give her that. If a company has expressed a possible interest in working with me, I'll send them a reminder "Hiya!" email once every few months. How blunt were you the first time? If she thinks there is a slight chance of more work, she might be fishing for it.

If she's contacting you weekly, though, I would give it to her straight and let her know that her work didn't meet quality standards.
I'm annoyed easily also. I would be extremely blunt and to the point.

"I didn't hire you because of XYZ." I would also include a "Please don't contact me anymore." in the message as well.