Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default Upfront Payments

Do you ask for upfront pay? I was on another forum and they were mentioning getting 100% upfront pay on everything. Is that a thing? I always expect pay afterwards but if I had a big project or eBook, would ask for partial upfront payment.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM
WAHM Addict

I don't. I lost a lucrative job once with a TV celebrity because I asked for upfront payment. I will do a small amount of work as a trial for a month and if the company pays on time, I'll increase efforts.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Awesome WAHM

For new clients I usually base it on what they initially want. If it is just one article and they have a good reputation (since most of my private work comes from odesk) I will just do the small amount and get paid after the fact. If they are asking for a large project to be completed I will ask for at least the cost of the first 2 to 5 articles (depending on the size of the project). I always let them know we can negotiate on the upfront cost to work with their budget.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

It depends on the client. If it someone who I can google and find a ton of information about them I am comfortable waiting for payment. But, if it is someone who has never been heard of before I expect at least half up front before I even type one word. So, far this has worked out great for me.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Awesome WAHM

Yes, I require full upfront payment. So far, no one has had an issue with it. Some of my clients even pay a full month in advance for weekly work. For years, I was afraid to even ask for half upfront, but now that I require 100% in advance I can't see myself ever going back. At around the same time that I created this new policy, I also raised my rates...best two career decisions I've made in a long while.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Awesome WAHM

If a random person orders off my site, it must be up front. If it's a large amount of work, depending on the person I will get a deposit. But, most of my clients, who are long term, pay me monthly after I do the work. I just keep track of all the work I do and bill them on the 1st of the month. I find that it works better. Some clients I have started billing weekly due to the fact that they have huge invoices and I find weekly works better in these cases.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Awesome WAHM

I tend to ask for 50%. I figure that way we are both happy. But I think that as the provider of the service it is completely up to you and if they don't like it they can go elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I do all billing weekly... I've only been jerked around once, and it was for $60. She finally ended up paying (and obviously I will not be doing any further work for that client, unless she wants to pay upfront). I also had/am still having trouble with a magazine, but that wouldn't have been an upfront payment thing anyway.

For all other clients, though, I do billing each Friday or Saturday and they pay me before the following week's bill goes out. Aside from occasional new ones, though, I have been working with my regulars for several months to over a year, so I'm not worried that I won't get paid. For a new client, I'll do one small part of a project (maybe $50 worth of work) and see how it goes... if they wanted several hundred dollars' worth of work done, then I'd have then pay part or all upfront, depending on my gut feeling. If one of my regular clients owes me $400 or $500, though, then that's fine; I know I'll get it once the billing is done.