Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

Great question!

I would obtain a four-year degree in English and/or education. Why? Well, I love the written art. In addition to writing, I truly want to get into editing; however, all the "major" gigs tend to want a four-year degree. -- Plus, it looks great on a resume!

As far as an education degree, I would also wish to complete a four-year degree. There are lots of WAH options for education degree holders, such as tutoring, scoring tests, etc.

I am not interested in being an English teacher though. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have a bachelor of science in business administration, a master of science in human environmental science with a specialization in interactive technology. I am waffling about getting a masters in accounting right now.

I like what I do at home, but I am faced with needing a job that offers health insurance. I've been unsuccessful in finding a job outside the home even with the degrees. In the meantime I grow my business, about 15 percent a year. Maybe I'll finally earn enough to afford health insurance (1800 a month) and also pay my bills and everything I do now. I just don't make enough for health insurance. I make enough for everything else.

Seems to be a lot of accounting jobs out there, so that is why I am probably going to get a masters in accounting. I am signed up to start in Jan, but I was signed up to start in the fall too and changed my mind. I have a lot of student debt already, my only debt that I have, and not sure if I want more. I feel like due to my midlife status most people just aren't going to hire me in an entry level capacity, and not in a more advanced job because of my general lack of experience.

Having said all that, I don't regret my choices. I am happy I was able to be a stay at home mom and I'm really happy to have the degrees I have.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have degrees in psych and education. I don't regret getting a Master's, but at this point I would not pay any more $$ for higher ed. or more degrees. Even if if were completely free, I wouldn't pursue another degree (due to the time cost). But to answer your question, if I were going to pick something, it'd be comp sci. Fortunately, though, I'm self employed and self taught at this point, so I wouldn't need it. But like another poster, I would NOT have majored in it the first time around due to confidence issues.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmt View Post
...at this point I would not pay any more $$ for higher ed. or more degrees.
I think a lot of it comes down to demand in your area. My neighbor has a degree in graphic design/graphic arts and can't find a job. She's working for Home Depot. My son's getting his degree in software engineering and already has some local companies expressing their interest.

My son's daughter is getting her teaching degree and two years into it, finding her a student teaching position was a nightmare and the college had to place her in a job that's 60 miles from her home. She's determined to teach though, so she's sticking with it.

Around many of the area's bigger companies have shut their doors or are rumored to be looking to move out of state. What jobs do exist are mostly in retail. Ben & Jerry's just moved jobs to the second factory near me and are planning to turn their other location into tours only. Energizer is shutting down completely and moving to Singapore. GMC hasn't been doing well, and some of their operations went to I believe it was Tennessee. An alternative energy company just cut their workforce in half. Even IBM has dropped many jobs and are rumored to be closing some other departments. That's creating a panic with kids who just graduated not finding jobs. One recent graduate my son knows has landed an apprenticeship to become an electrician, so his four-year degree in computer science was a waste of money realistically.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered WAHM

I already have a degree in English, which has served me really well as an editor for the past six years, and I am beginning to milk it for writing opportunities as I start my family. However, I would love to go back to school and pursue speech pathology, the major I spent almost my whole first degree considering changing to. If I were able to change to it now, it would give me the chance to explore another part of the language spectrum for part of my career.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbullock View Post
From a purely financial point of view, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go back for nursing. My daughter is currently majoring in nursing in college so it's something we've really researched recently.

Worldwide the nursing shortage is going to be critical within a few years. Healthcare bill aside, the supply of nurses is not adequate to meet the demand for them. That means that salaries, on a global scale, are going to be higher than in many professions--especially for the education that is required.
Good thing your daughter is on a full ride scholarship. If you're in California, it is extremely hard to find a job as an entry level RN. The nursing shortage doesn't exist in many parts of the US right now. Every hospital up and down California knows healthcare reform is coming, but the patient census numbers do not support keeping them on the payroll. Maybe people have stopped making babies because of the recession. But demand is down right now.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Super WAHM

I'm currently taking classes at a community college and plan to transfer next fall to a university to pursue a bachelor's degree in sociology with a minor in nonprofit administration.

I figure, if I'm going to have to work, I may as well work helping people. It's a very loose Plan B. Plan A is going in directions I never thought it would, though. I'm currently focusing on marketing for my main client and I think I love this field. Maybe I'll get my master's degree in social psychology
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Awesome WAHM

I'd probably study either social media marketing or some type of alternative health care. Actually, I'm trying to make up my mind between those things now. The first is something that I could use to get into various fields that would pay decently, I'd take copywriting and graphic design classes, etc... The second is something I am extremely interested in and would love to do. It's not that I don't like marketing... but alternative health has become a real passion of mine. I think I love both fields. I'm trying to think of ways I could combine it with writing to create some type of weird career. lol. eBooks? Blogs? Websites?

Maybe I'll study both and be one of those people who never gets out of school.

Last edited by ErinHill226; 11-27-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I have a B.A. in psychology with a minor in sociology. That background has helped me in writing a great deal of articles within the special education/mental health niches.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I think a lot of it comes down to demand in your area. My neighbor has a degree in graphic design/graphic arts and can't find a job. She's working for Home Depot.
Has she tried marketing her services online for freelance work? Or is she only interested in working for a firm? I would think that would be something like writing, where your location really isn't that important.