Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Job search - out of ideas!

I am attempting to land a proofreading gig since I have extensive training and experience in this area.

I have turned over every leaf possible. A past editor of mine has been with me along the way and neither of us know what is "going on."

In addition to submitting resumes/CVs/applications online, I have submitted resumes/CVs to offline potential clients as well.

I decided to take a chance on another job finding idea, presenting on- and offline light proofreading errors to appropriate persons in charge. Being thanked for my findings, that is as far as my leads go. (I do offer my proofreading services, by the way.)

I am out of ideas...
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Awesome WAHM

We all want to be successful, and I get that.

To say further, I am not out to steal anyone's ideas or clients. I just want to know if you have any generic tips/ideas on things that I am missing.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 AM
WAHM Addict

What I've found is that emailing website owners about errors on their sites rarely goes over well. I've tried it in the past and some have done the quick, "thanks for pointing it out," there are others who get horribly defensive. I had one local restaurant tell me that only snobs pay attention to spelling/grammar, another site, our local newspaper, told me that it's rude to point out errors, and then one said if I have nothing better to do that find grammar and spelling errors, I need to get a life. I say if they're charging $30 - $40 a month for the paper, they need to stop outsourcing their copy editors as they started doing a year ago.

When I'm reviewing books, I'll let an author/publisher know of errors I've found in their final copies and most are gracious, but again some get really defensive. I had one author and her publisher blacklist me and have her friends do the same when I pointed out that it's unrealistic that Sheryl Crow's music would have been playing at a prom in 1984. In all this time though, mentioning the errors has never helped me get any proofreading work with some of the self-published authors. Most of them are on a shoestring budget and simply can't afford to pay, so they rely on friends and family members.

I just think there is an overflow of editors out there for the people who can afford to pay.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Awesome WAHM

Earlier today I had decided that I would no longer point out errors, especially "freebies." Do you think the market is oversaturated with editors?

I wonder how to present myself in my CV now. I am completely interested in proofreading children's books - a dream, really. This is my favorite genre.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderone View Post
Earlier today I had decided that I would no longer point out errors, especially "freebies." Do you think the market is oversaturated with editors?

I wonder how to present myself in my CV now. I am completely interested in proofreading children's books - a dream, really. This is my favorite genre.
I've heard from contacts that major and some smaller publishers are saturated with editors and job queries. Some of it, I think, is the mergers that are going on. Penguin and Random House merged in October, and that's a huge deal. I'm sure that's going to put editors who were already working for Random House out of jobs. I've known editors who lost their jobs, who then opened up their own agencies who do proofreading and marketing.

Then, I know just as many authors who rely on friends, family, and enthusiastic readers to get free editing. Many readers are happy to offer their input to authors, and if you get a dozen readers who will point those errors out just for an advanced copy of the book, it does make it hard for editors/proofreaders to earn a living in that line of work.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I've heard from contacts that major and some smaller publishers are saturated with editors and job queries. Some of it, I think, is the mergers that are going on. Penguin and Random House merged in October, and that's a huge deal. I'm sure that's going to put editors who were already working for Random House out of jobs. I've known editors who lost their jobs, who then opened up their own agencies who do proofreading and marketing.

Then, I know just as many authors who rely on friends, family, and enthusiastic readers to get free editing. Many readers are happy to offer their input to authors, and if you get a dozen readers who will point those errors out just for an advanced copy of the book, it does make it hard for editors/proofreaders to earn a living in that line of work.

Wow. So, this field is pretty difficult to get into.

Are you working in this field?

I am a bit disheartened. I proofread much faster than writing a $4 article! I take forever because I thoroughly self-edit, and I know that in order to make money online, I need to move along faster. I am not sure how I can!!

Last edited by tenderone; 11-19-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Awesome WAHM

I don't mean to be nosey here, but you just said something that made me question the writing jobs you have had. "I proofread much faster than writing a $4 article!" I understand what you mean about editing your own work and that takes you longer but $4 an article? I think your best bet at this point would be to start looking for higher paying writing jobs. I'm not sure where you are looking, but $4 an article is on the lower end if you have experience. I would say look for overflow work in writing as well as proofreading. Look for jobs on Odesk and other bidding sites where you can sell yourself at a higher rate and push the fact they are getting a writer AND an editor. I have found that pushing what the client gets for their money is one of the best ways to find work. I know writing may not be what you are looking for, however, most of the people I know editing do writing as well as editing and choose articles and clients that will pay a decent wage for both as an all in one package.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderone View Post
Wow. So, this field is pretty difficult to get into.

Are you working in this field?

I am a bit disheartened. I proofread much faster than writing a $4 article! I take forever because I thoroughly self-edit, and I know that in order to make money online, I need to move along faster. I am not sure how I can!!
I review books, so I don't actually work in that field, but I do work with a lot of publishers, agents, and authors, so I get to hear a lot about the industry. It was really the Penguin/Randomhouse merger that's shaken people up. That's a huge deal and there are rumors that HarperCollins is also looking to merge with someone. As that keeps happening, the potential number of jobs that could be lost is staggering. I haven't heard about any layoffs yet with Penguin/Randomhouse, but it's still early at this point.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
I don't mean to be nosey here, but you just said something that made me question the writing jobs you have had. "I proofread much faster than writing a $4 article!" I understand what you mean about editing your own work and that takes you longer but $4 an article? I think your best bet at this point would be to start looking for higher paying writing jobs. I'm not sure where you are looking, but $4 an article is on the lower end if you have experience. I would say look for overflow work in writing as well as proofreading. Look for jobs on Odesk and other bidding sites where you can sell yourself at a higher rate and push the fact they are getting a writer AND an editor. I have found that pushing what the client gets for their money is one of the best ways to find work. I know writing may not be what you are looking for, however, most of the people I know editing do writing as well as editing and choose articles and clients that will pay a decent wage for both as an all in one package.
I agree. I need to find higher paying writing jobs. I wrote for NexTag before it no longer needed freelance writers, as well as MC. Other places (content mills) I had once written for went under. I was not earning much and overstressed. I underwent brain farts on simple articles.

I have not done anything with Odesk...yet. What other great bidding sites are out there? Do the majority of clients expect a lot for peanuts?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I review books, so I don't actually work in that field, but I do work with a lot of publishers, agents, and authors, so I get to hear a lot about the industry. It was really the Penguin/Randomhouse merger that's shaken people up. That's a huge deal and there are rumors that HarperCollins is also looking to merge with someone. As that keeps happening, the potential number of jobs that could be lost is staggering. I haven't heard about any layoffs yet with Penguin/Randomhouse, but it's still early at this point.
I began reviewing books through NetGalley this past September. I love it!

Children's books are my forte and preference. Proofreading and/or reviewing books in this genre would be a dream.

How did you get into reviewing books for pay?