Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've found that Odesk is really what you make of it. I completely ignore listings that do not meet my base hourly wage requirement. Basically, what I do is this. I know what I need to make per hour to meet my financial needs while giving me a little extra to make it "worth it." That is my advertised price on Odesk per hour. I took on some smaller jobs at first just to build my rating there. The minute I received 4 and 5 star reviews my message box started blowing up with requests and interviews. I have had to weed out a lot of them due to low pay, but I've also landed a few that were great and long lasting.

It takes time. You need to figure out what you need per hour starting out. I'm not saying keep it low. I'm saying ask for what you need. Get a few jobs under your belt and get the ratings. Once you are rated you can raise your rates slowly and bring in the clients you are looking for then branch out to doing just proofreading. It takes time, patience and hard work but it is sooooo worth it in the end.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've found that Odesk is really what you make of it. I completely ignore listings that do not meet my base hourly wage requirement. Basically, what I do is this. I know what I need to make per hour to meet my financial needs while giving me a little extra to make it "worth it." That is my advertised price on Odesk per hour. I took on some smaller jobs at first just to build my rating there. The minute I received 4 and 5 star reviews my message box started blowing up with requests and interviews. I have had to weed out a lot of them due to low pay, but I've also landed a few that were great and long lasting.

It takes time. You need to figure out what you need per hour starting out. I'm not saying keep it low. I'm saying ask for what you need. Get a few jobs under your belt and get the ratings. Once you are rated you can raise your rates slowly and bring in the clients you are looking for then branch out to doing just proofreading. It takes time, patience and hard work but it is sooooo worth it in the end.
Very helpful! I think I will take this advice as well. I got discouraged really fast on Odesk but I may be looking back on it pretty soon here.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderone View Post
I began reviewing books through NetGalley this past September. I love it!

Children's books are my forte and preference. Proofreading and/or reviewing books in this genre would be a dream.

How did you get into reviewing books for pay?
The only places I've seen that pay for book reviews tend to be the big magazines and newspapers. I've written reviews for Romantic Times (RT) and for Publishers Weekly but neither pay. The FTC requires reviewers to state they've received a free product in exchange for their review but that there's been no monetary compensation. I know some publishers are starting to pay for reviews, I've been approached, but I like the reputation I have with publishers. I'm happy simply getting all the free books and having the connections out there for advice when I do write a book I like enough to get published.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
I've found that Odesk is really what you make of it.
I really don't like Odesk. What I hate is that it takes forever to be able to access my money. My cousin said she gets hers quickly, but I'll get paid on Friday, it doesn't clear until the following Thursday, and then it's another four or five days before it makes it into my credit union. I end up waiting almost two weeks to actually get my hands on the money I earned. The other options is I wait the week and then lose the $1 fee to have it sent to Paypal where I can access it immediately with my debit, but that's $1 I have to give up. It's maddening that their system takes that long.