Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinter View Post
I handle about 20-25 per day. Lately it has been increasingly difficult (first trimester of pregnancy), but usually that is my daily goal and limit.
Wow. Dude. I thought I was a fast writer, but you have surpassed me. Unless these articles are like 200 words. I could do that. But WOW. You are certainly a busy bee. Although, I do see how it's possible if you know the topics. I have done 20 in a day when WG was still an "egg" of mine. Not often, but if they enough topics I knew well enough.

To answer the question... I don't do articles much anymore. I usually have a few I do between Scripted and a public relations firm I write for. Most of my work involves writing product descriptions and other forms of sales copy. I usually get between 50 and 100 descriptions done per day, depending on the length, format, and how much research is involved. It also depends on how creative I am expect to be. Some clients want boiler plate "this does this and here's why you want it..." and others want a little more oomph. Even with the more difficult ones, 50 per day is a reasonable number if my children are decently behaved and I have a full stash of coffee.

Last edited by ErinHill226; 11-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 PM
WAHM Regular

Are most of you "highly productive" writers using Speech to Text software? My wrists/forearms would never hold up under that much strain (not to mention shoulders and foggy eyesight too).
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Instead of counting articles I count how many words I write. Most days I am writing about 15,000 words. Most of the articles I have this month for clients are 1,000 word articles so I am writing 6 of those a day and then about 9,000 words a day for my own projects.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

I'm with Jwinter on this one - if you know the topic or they are easy to research, you would be surprised by how many you can get done. I usually have a hard time getting started but once I do, I can do about 20 a day. This doesn't mean I could do it every day but I have a tendency to procrastinate where I have 15-30 articles (400 words each) to do in a day or so. I also have a lot of distractions. If my husband wakes up when I'm working, you can kiss my production level goodbye. He doesn't understand going away, lol. I'm sure typing speed makes a big difference too. Before writing, I did data entry for about 6 years so I can type almost 100 WPM and it helps.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm not using a software of any kind. Mainly because if I know the topic, which is my rule before taking any work, then I write it faster than I can speak it. Besides, even when you have well trained software there are still editing issues and commonly switched words to look out for. There are also days when the software may or may not pick up what you meant and what you need so you end up spending more time correcting than you do writing.

I find that proper placement of the keyboard, knowing the topics and taking breaks works best for me. For example, if I have 25 articles (like I do tonight) I will do five or six then break then do five or six more and break. It also helps that I type over 85 wpm. There's a lot to factor in and each person is different. I mean I've seen people who type 85+wpm and because they don't know the topic or their grammar is bad they type as if they can only meet 25wpm.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Friday I did 14 400+ word articles for an emergency order for a client. I had about 6 more to go but I couldn't take it. I totally burned myself out. The shoulder of my right arm is so stiff that I can barely lift it - but I still gotta finish my job. I'm working on it right now.

My limit is usually 5 articles a day, between 400 and 500 words. I can work back up to 10 articles a day, which is what I used to do, but it's gonna take some time. I've got great clients though - they are super patient and really, really nice. It makes me want to keep working for them.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingToolsforMe View Post
Are most of you "highly productive" writers using Speech to Text software? My wrists/forearms would never hold up under that much strain (not to mention shoulders and foggy eyesight too).
I loathe Dragonspeak. I've edited far too many articles using that program that virtually needed rewriting. I happen to type 80 wpm, and in my typing class, the teacher drilled posture, wrist position into us to prevent carpal tunnel in the long run, so I've never had a problem with that.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I loathe Dragonspeak. I've edited far too many articles using that program that virtually needed rewriting. I happen to type 80 wpm, and in my typing class, the teacher drilled posture, wrist position into us to prevent carpal tunnel in the long run, so I've never had a problem with that.
For me, it's not so much carpal tunnel as it is repetitive strain in the forearm muscles (thanks to an old workplace injury). You never know when those old workplace injuries are going to come back and bite you, sometimes years after the fact.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered WAHM

Usually, it's up to 20 orders form my permanent clients and some additional tasks, so called extra task which are well-paid and worthy spending time on them.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
Oh man. I needed to take that class. My posture and wrist position are horrible. It's whats causing my shoulder and back pain. I wish I could find a Youtube video or something that will show me HOW TO SIT so I can stop popping so much ibuprofen.