Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Super WAHM

I've used Skype to talk with my son who is an army infantryman and far from home. Beginning in July or so I started to get private clients who wanted to conference on Skype. I don't love it and even posted on facebook about it.

I don't always fix up or even get dressed when I'm home writing so it annoys me but more and more clients are steadily requesting it. I brush my hair, carry the laptop in my room and persevere.

Someone who would hire a writer on the hopes that they might get a frisky video chat is a little far fetched so I tend to trust its about business when they want to chat and so far it has been.

At first I thought it was just oDesk customers. Clients who have contacted me via oDesk always seemed to choose Skype to communicate but two I've garnered from CL and an old client I've worked with off and on for years has also started using it.

I don't get it. Skype is unpredictable and does some dumb stuff ( like you can't get messages from someone unless you're both logged on. No offline messages appear until you're both on so its not that helpful). But clients are requesting it left and right so I've resigned myself to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Super WAHM

OK, I have downloaded Skype. Now I will see if it helps me get more private clients. Yahoo also has instant messaging. However, I have never had a request from a client or potential client concerning their services.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered WAHM

To lead the correspondance in skype is really convenient. It is rather quick, indeed. On the other hand, it isn't rather wize to use it for sending files. Sometimes I experience troubles with it and have to resend everything for several times.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I do have Skype (for talking to family/friends overseas), and I've used it with a couple of my clients. Just the text chat, though. One of mine asked if I ever did video chat, and I told him no... I do, but not with clients, if I can help it, LOL. I'm happy to call him on the phone or text-chat with him via gmail/FB/Skype, but nah, I really don't see any benefit to video chatting. Half the time I have kids running around, I have no makeup on, my hair's just in a messy ponytail, I'm wearing pajamas, or whatever... if you're not family or a very close friend, no thanks!
I feel the same. I've lost about 5 potential clients because I've told them that I don't use Skype, but I don't see what's the point. I use Yahoo Messenger, email and any other system that doesn't involve a webcam. When I stay home, I wear pajamas, have my hair up and wear no makeup. Why on Earth would I want a potential employer to see me like this? I can answer right away on YM or email, so it's no need to use Skype...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

I've had clients and potential clients want to "chat" via webcam or Skype "talk" (or whatever it is), and they had no problems when I told them my cam was broke...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered WAHM

using skype is such a benefit to my business. I have training parties for my team using skpe. If my partner needs an expert for a presentation and I cant be there, they can skype me in. I also love using it to visit with my adorable niece and nephew who live on the east coast.
Great advance in technology in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Super WAHM

For now, I plan to only use Skype for IM. I have to think about the video thingy...LOL
Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
Anytime a client wants to hold a meeting, they avoid Skype like the plague and instead use GoToMeeting because it's better quality and does so much more. That way we can meet and they can also share files I need to see on their computer when they're showing me how to use new software or templates they want to utilize on a project.
GoToMeeting works well most of the time, but has issues sometimes. You can also share screens with Skype, but do not have the option of giving someone remote access.

There is another program called TeamViewer that works very well. You have the same options of screensharing or giving someone remote access as you do with GoToMeeting.

I prefer GTM and TV, but Skype is convenient for screen sharing.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Super WAHM

I asked a current client of mine who prefers Skype about his thoughts. This is what he said:

Skype has the broadest reach and they have the best calling platform for any web-based business.
Google is trying to compete with them and they offer a lot of comparable benefits, but nobody else even comes close
I usually have all of my other messengers (yahoo, msn, etc.) go directly to gchat
so skype+gchat pretty much covers any messenger you would ever need
Skype attracts most clients through their call platform and then they naturally stick to it for chat, since they're already using it
Google attracts most clients through Google apps, so a lot of them stick to gchat - but Google doesn't have a stand-alone call platform, so they aren't as popular
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwriting View Post
I asked a current client of mine who prefers Skype about his thoughts. This is what he said:

Skype has the broadest reach and they have the best calling platform for any web-based business.
Google is trying to compete with them and they offer a lot of comparable benefits, but nobody else even comes close
I usually have all of my other messengers (yahoo, msn, etc.) go directly to gchat
so skype+gchat pretty much covers any messenger you would ever need
Skype attracts most clients through their call platform and then they naturally stick to it for chat, since they're already using it
Google attracts most clients through Google apps, so a lot of them stick to gchat - but Google doesn't have a stand-alone call platform, so they aren't as popular
Thanks for the info..