Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
WAHM Regular

Question Blog vs Website: Which is best?

Hi everyone.

I've just started with the idea of freelancing. I've been doing lots of research and found out that it would probably be best to start blogging on the side while writing articles for social medias like ezine or paying ones like textbroker.
Now I have a blog which I'm soon getting a domain for.

My question is, if I get a domain for my blog right now, will I have the option to use the same domain for my future website?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Awesome WAHM

Yes, your domain name can point to either a blog or a website.

If you use WordPress, which is a blogging and content management system (CMS) platform, you can set it up to function like a traditional blog, or like a traditional website.

I think of a blog as a type of website that is created through the use of a web-based application, and it is designed to support frequent postings and is very easy to use. With a traditional website, typically more of the content is static, and the content creator often needs some specialized knowledge to create and manage the site. Specialized software can be helpful also.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Jonelle; 08-02-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added more context
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
WAHM Regular

If you use wordpress you can use it as both a full website and blog. Get your own domain and hosting, then install wordpress software. Do NOT use the wordpress site where you make a blog on their own site. You want your very own owned site with wordpress installed.

Then make your front page a normal website page and all your other pages like that also. Then have a link in your menu going to your blog and use post as your blog. So you end up with a full, normal website with an added blog. I like the magazine style themes.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM
WAHM Regular

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your response.
But wait, what if I get a blog through blogger? It seems less technical than wordpress, and I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to building a website. I tried but it'll take me forever. So if I get a domain through blogger, would that be good enough? And whenever I decide to get a website (after learning in the future), would I be able to use the same domain?

HomeOfficeBureau
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Super WAHM

Blogger is less functional - and from what I've heard from people who've gone through blogger, it's more expensive and a long-term hassle. My opinion - it's cheaper and better to buy the domain name (around 10$) and then point your domain to a self-hosted account on FatCow, or BlueHost or HostGator or whichever you like, then use Wordpress or one of the new drag-and-drop website creators (Or pay someone to set up your website for you) and then start writing.

If you're going to pay someone to set it up for you, I suggest posting here when you get quotes so others can tell you if you're getting ripped off. Some people have ridiculously high rates for setting up a Wordpress site, which is really typically very simple for someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah0mer View Post
blogger is less functional - and from what i've heard from people who've gone through blogger, it's more expensive and a long-term hassle. My opinion - it's cheaper and better to buy the domain name (around 10$) and then point your domain to a self-hosted account on fatcow, or bluehost or hostgator or whichever you like, then use wordpress or one of the new drag-and-drop website creators (or pay someone to set up your website for you) and then start writing.

If you're going to pay someone to set it up for you, i suggest posting here when you get quotes so others can tell you if you're getting ripped off. Some people have ridiculously high rates for setting up a wordpress site, which is really typically very simple for someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Super WAHM

I use Wordpress for my blog, but I'm fixing to hand code my writing site. I've had it with the portfolio themes that never meet my needs as a writer. Of course, I could pay for a theme but I hate doing that when I can do it myself. Either option is fine, it just depends on what your goal is for your site. I wish there were more options for writers and authors with Wordpress. Most writer themes really aren't that attractive.

Tags
blogging, domains, freelance writing, hosting, websites