Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Not a good writer

I just started researching on work at home opportunities and it seems like writing would be a good fit. I am not a good writer, but I want to start freelancing so I can save to move to CA. How can I improve? Any tips on how to become a better writer?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
WAHM Addict

Out of curiosity, why would writing be a good fit for you, as a career, if you don't believe you're good at it? Writing for a living is a lot of hard work. It's not just about writing but also about marketing yourself as a writer. This isn't a career you want to just dive into if you don't REALLY love it. It's not something you can do long-term and make a decent living doing if you don't enjoy the challenge and the art of writing.

If you're just determined to do something from home, there are many other careers that might be a better match for you including: transcription work, phone work, Google raters, customer service, social media professional, or becoming a virtual assistant.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Yeah, I'm not good at math, so no amount of tips would help me become a mathematician, lol. Now if you are passionate about writing, but are not sure you are any good at it, you may be able improve with some hard work. If you flat out admit you are not good at it and just look at it as a convenient job, it's going to be a long road for you, during which you will not be able to make a living. If you are still interested, check out the stickies for newcomers.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Super WAHM

I agree that you really have to love it to be in it. Look at other models of home income. Try the warriorforum.com to see about Internet marketing. What about graphic design? Youtube videos? Is there a craft or hobby you're really good at? Look at the things you love to do and see if there is a way you can connect those activities with filling a need or solving a problem for other people.

If you start out thinking you want to write while at the same time professing to not be good at it, you are more than likely setting yourself up for failure.

If you *do* like to write but are not confident in your abilities, look into writing tips websites and work on improving your grammar. Practice by giving yourself topics and see if you can write on them, which is exactly how many freelance writers earn a living: they're given a topic and told to create something wonderful from it.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Awesome WAHM

well why don't you find something in the online arena that you are good at instead of writing?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbullock View Post
Out of curiosity, why would writing be a good fit for you, as a career, if you don't believe you're good at it? Writing for a living is a lot of hard work. It's not just about writing but also about marketing yourself as a writer. This isn't a career you want to just dive into if you don't REALLY love it. It's not something you can do long-term and make a decent living doing if you don't enjoy the challenge and the art of writing.

If you're just determined to do something from home, there are many other careers that might be a better match for you including: transcription work, phone work, Google raters, customer service, social media professional, or becoming a virtual assistant.
It's not that I don't like to write, I am just not good at it and it's hard for me to get my creative juices flowing. For example, I had a 750-word college essay and it took me all day to finish because I could not get my ideas on paper. I would like to write and I think I would enjoy it. I just have to get better at writing first before I try to earn an income from it which is why I asked for tips on how to get better at it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megank View Post
I agree that you really have to love it to be in it. Look at other models of home income. Try the warriorforum.com to see about Internet marketing. What about graphic design? Youtube videos? Is there a craft or hobby you're really good at? Look at the things you love to do and see if there is a way you can connect those activities with filling a need or solving a problem for other people.

If you start out thinking you want to write while at the same time professing to not be good at it, you are more than likely setting yourself up for failure.

If you *do* like to write but are not confident in your abilities, look into writing tips websites and work on improving your grammar. Practice by giving yourself topics and see if you can write on them, which is exactly how many freelance writers earn a living: they're given a topic and told to create something wonderful from it.

Good luck!
Thank you for this post. I do like writing, I just think I need to practice. I was wondering if anyone knew any websites or ebooks that would help.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
WAHM Fanatic

you'll find this same advice over and over on this site

go to textbroker.com and apply - it's a great way to get your feet wet and see if you like writing the kind of stuff that's needed for the web.

if you pay attention to the editors there and the suggestions in their blog, you can improve quickly
Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

I wish I could "like" all of these responses!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Default There is always room for improvement

I started out at Textbroker, and I have learned a great deal. I began writing thinking I would give it a try, but I quickly learned that I love to write. I only wish I had known sooner because I have been on quite the winding road when it comes to jobs and career. I think you should try Textbroker because it is a snapshot of what writing for the web involves. Also, I found this great sight to help me with my grammar called Englishgrammar101.com. If you are too intimidated to try TB, then start by writing about a topic you enjoy or know something about. Then move on to other topics. In order to learn how to write well, you must write a great deal and then write some more.

Tags
freelancing