Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Self-promo site creation: WordPress...or?

I am wondering what you all use to create your sites...WordPress, etc.

And, what great places are out there for web hosting?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I use wordpress for all of my sites and I have my hosting on Hostgator. I find it simple and easy to use.

I used to Fantastico button on the cpanel to install wordpress on my site and I was off to the races so to speak.

You can also get some great deals on hosting with Hostgator. Coupon code workfromhomenow will get you your first month of hosting for only a penny.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
WAHM Regular

It depends on what you're looking for. I don't like wordpress because I feel all sites built with wordpress look like blogs (and I don't want my professional writing site looking like a blog). However, I also have a few passive-income blogs, and those are all designed using blogger. So it really depends on your needs.

For professional writing sites, I like places like Yola, Wix, Weebly, etc. Great templates and the end result is very professional (take a look at my site: Home - Diana Bocco)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered WAHM

I build all of my business sites using WordPress. Bax has a good point, but there are MANY templates you can use that do not look bloggy. Just a few tweaks to a bloggy looking theme and it can look very professional

As for hosting, I use Host Monster. I've had an account with them for at least 5 years now and have only had 1 problem with them the entire time. It was fixed in minutes, but I honestly don't remember what it was, it was a while ago and I've slept since then
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
WAHM Regular

I created my site using Wordpress. I like it because it offers you all the writing tools you'll need, while allowing for customization and the ability to purchase your own domain name.

I wasn't happen with the template I had originally picked out so I went to Fiverr and found someone who drew me an adorable "nerdy cat," which I then used as part of the banner for my site. I love how it looks now!

My only problem with the site is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to include Amazon affiliate links onto my page! It's driving me nuts. >.<
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyCat View Post

My only problem with the site is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to include Amazon affiliate links onto my page! It's driving me nuts. >.<
Try going into the HTML (not Visual) view, and put your affiliate link info in between <code></code> tags. This worked for me.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelle View Post
Try going into the HTML (not Visual) view, and put your affiliate link info in between <code></code> tags. This worked for me.
Thanks for your help! However, as a result of either my ineptitidue or complete lack of sleep last night, I have no idea where to go in order to swich it over to HTML view. Are you talking about an individual post or the blog layout itself?

Sorry to have to ask again, but I can't seem to get this right and would really lke to learn why!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyCat View Post
Thanks for your help! However, as a result of either my ineptitidue or complete lack of sleep last night, I have no idea where to go in order to swich it over to HTML view. Are you talking about an individual post or the blog layout itself?

Sorry to have to ask again, but I can't seem to get this right and would really lke to learn why!
No problem --- make the change in the individual post. Feel free to PM me if this isn't clear.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
It depends on what you're looking for. I don't like wordpress because I feel all sites built with wordpress look like blogs (and I don't want my professional writing site looking like a blog). However, I also have a few passive-income blogs, and those are all designed using blogger. So it really depends on your needs.

For professional writing sites, I like places like Yola, Wix, Weebly, etc. Great templates and the end result is very professional (take a look at my site: Home - Diana Bocco)
Ummmm...your portfolio pieces are quite impressive -- Marie Claire?!? WOW.

I like your site; which above writing site did you use?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Awesome WAHM

Do you use a pen name?

I wondered how you handle income coming in from a PC. Do they provide you with a 1099 - therefore, needing your address and (real) name? I get a bit nervous giving out that information.

I guess the same would be with a contract -- do you provide your personal information before getting to know the PC well enough?

Questions...questions...questions...

They continue to pop up into my mind!