Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Selecting a business name

I am having a bit of a difficult time coming up with a name for my writing business.

To select my name or a brand name, that is the question!

I see the benefits of each. My last name is quite common so that is a bit of a dilemma. And, I am concerned that using my name that could affect my privacy.

What are your thoughts?

I want an inviting business, one that will be remembered and one that is trusted. I know you should never "judge a book by its cover", but I know that a name is what the prospective client sees, or is invited to, first.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I used a brand name (Exceptional Expression), but I could have just as easily used my name... I have my real name on my site, though. No real advice, just wanted to comment, I guess. LOL
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Awesome WAHM

Regrettably, I also have a very common name. It wasn't so common until I go married, but oh, well.

I use a combination of branding and my name (B. Johnson - Writer). I figure it is pretty point direct and easy to remember.

By the way my company name is Johnson Enterprises and everything that I retain rights to is copy-write protected under my company name.

Last edited by karmicwindows; 01-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

I chose to go with something simple, straight to the point and a name that clients will remember:

Content by Katie

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
WAHM Regular

If you don't have a business name yet or a website, you might get some ideas from godaddy.com with a domain name search. That would allow you to see if ones you are considering have a web domain name that could match it. They also make suggestions for you, which ultimately helped my choose mine.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Awesome WAHM

I just dealt with your same dilemma not long ago. I used my first name and decided to add on to it. I wrote down a few names that I thought of and narrowed it down. My final two were between Christine's Content Corner or Christine's Content Creations. Once you have a few to choose from, keep saying them because I was originally going to make my business name be Christine's Content Creations until I realized I kept making mistakes when I was saying it. Anyways, I recommend keeping it simple. Try to incorporate some word that signifies you're a writer or the writing service you provide. If you're not interested in using your name, maybe try something like Custom Content Creations. When I first started with names and I wasn't sure if I was going to use my name, I thought of Written in Stone and Content 4 You, both of which you're more than welcome to.