Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Finding typos in websites

Finding typos in websites drives me bananas.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Super WAHM

Nicely done. Agree agree agree.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
Finding typos in websites drives me bananas.
HORRORS!!!!

That drives me INSANE!! I hate that! What's worse is the obviously spun articles. They're like bad car accidents - I don't wanna look, but I can't help myself...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I think the spun articles are simply insulting to people who can actually write. I also hate typos in websites and "professional" articles, and I see them often. Have people stopped hiring editors/proofreaders? lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 AM
WAHM Regular

I cringe when I see errors in writers' websites. They're errors that only an editor would catch, most likely, but it still drives me a little bit crazy.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 AM
WAHM Addict

I agree that errors in websites are bad (my husband's employer's site says they "make cable that withstands the hottest temperatures in the dessert.")

A bigger pet peeve for me though are glaring errors in final copies of books. I've seen typos that spell-check should have caught. I once read a book where the character's name changed half way through the book. There's a book series I love, but the time line on that series has gotten way out of whack so I stopped reading it. The series started in 1990 and the sleuth's son's only aged a few years during that time, yet she has all of this modern technology - smartphones that I know weren't around, picking up said cell phone signal even when she's in the middle of nowhere, wireless Internet on a laptop computer...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Super WAHM

Typos don't bother me as much as unnecessary quotation marks, apostrophe abuse, and consistent lack of punctuation.

I'd rather read: I'm hella reddy 4 u 2nite than i have to speaker's for "sell" just call me n let me no. One implies that the rules of English are purposely being broken or modified, while the other clearly screams, "I've never read a book, newspaper, and I also didn't do any of that stupid English homework in the fourth grade!"
Old 01-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Super WAHM

I found a typo in a print magazine last night. I went back and checked it three times to make sure it was actually wrong.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Typos on websites (aside from those belonging to writers!) don't really bother me. They might make my eye twitch for a second, but they're so common that I am never surprised. Typos in books, though, are another matter! Particularly in books that are about freelance writing. Gah!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2809 View Post
I found a typo in a print magazine last night. I went back and checked it three times to make sure it was actually wrong.

That happened to me once in a crossword magazine. The answer was misspelled so it made it impossible for me to solve the crossword. I actually sent Penny Press an email letting them know of the mistake figuring I'd at get a thanks. Instead I got a response saying "Mistakes happen. We try not to let them, but they will from time to time."

I lost a lot of respect for them after that.