Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Awesome WAHM

It annoys me also, although I'm sure I am guilty of not proofing very well from time to time. I went back and read a few blog posts I did for a retailer very early in my career, and I actually cringed at how sloppy it was.

I also find myself being overly critical of advertising materials. After reading some of the classic copywriting and advertising books available, I can't help but look for errors on billboards, magazine ads, etc... It's pretty stupid.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Strangely, I don't mind seeing a typo or two in print. But errors on writers' sites really bug me. I see a few in nearly every writer website I visit. It's the same with their craiglist ads. I understand the occasional typo because no one is perfect, but some of them don't know basic grammar and punctuation rules.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2809 View Post
I found a typo in a print magazine last night. I went back and checked it three times to make sure it was actually wrong.
My friend recently did as well - she scanned it so I could read it. It was a toy advertisement that used "anecdote" instead of "antidote". I was shocked that the mistake made it into print!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1976 View Post
My friend recently did as well - she scanned it so I could read it. It was a toy advertisement that used "anecdote" instead of "antidote". I was shocked that the mistake made it into print!
Wow, that was an obvious misspelling of the word. I understand when typos happen because of typing too fast on a keyboard. However, this appears to be a mistake on the author's part because spell check should have caught it.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
That happened to me once in a crossword magazine. The answer was misspelled so it made it impossible for me to solve the crossword. I actually sent Penny Press an email letting them know of the mistake figuring I'd at get a thanks. Instead I got a response saying "Mistakes happen. We try not to let them, but they will from time to time."

I lost a lot of respect for them after that.
This would annoy me. I think being a writer sometimes comes with a downside in that we can't read through material without our internal editor on alert for mistakes.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryObKnoxious View Post
Typos don't bother me as much as unnecessary quotation marks, apostrophe abuse, and consistent lack of punctuation.

I'd rather read: I'm hella reddy 4 u 2nite than i have to speaker's for "sell" just call me n let me no. One implies that the rules of English are purposely being broken or modified, while the other clearly screams, "I've never read a book, newspaper, and I also didn't do any of that stupid English homework in the fourth grade!"
LoL!! Oh MY! This statement reminds me of everyone under 25 that resides in my town. GRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
That happened to me once in a crossword magazine. The answer was misspelled so it made it impossible for me to solve the crossword.
This happened to me a few years ago. I went nuts for a few days before I finally gave up and realized that they screwed up.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
WAHM Addict

You guys might find this interesting. I went to a writers' conference in 2010 that had several high-level book editors on a panel. According to them, each book goes through the author's final read, a proofreader going through it twice, at least one editor going through it a few times and then the typesetter looking at it and checking for any final typos. And even with all of that, the industry average is 25 typos per book.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping2 View Post
You guys might find this interesting. I went to a writers' conference in 2010 that had several high-level book editors on a panel. According to them, each book goes through the author's final read, a proofreader going through it twice, at least one editor going through it a few times and then the typesetter looking at it and checking for any final typos. And even with all of that, the industry average is 25 typos per book.
Wow! On the one hand, that seems excessive. On the other, I can understand it. I know when I'm trying to proofread a 500 product spreadsheet, the words start blending together. I try, but it's nearly impossible not to miss SOMETHING. Of course, I would assume my editors DO catch the ones I miss when they read through.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Awesome WAHM

Food for thought: Turn typos and other errors into opportunities by contacting site owners, pointing the errors out and explaining what you do. Politely let them know that you are available for rewriting copy as well as writing fresh error-free copy should they ever want to improve their site.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMakinMama View Post
Food for thought: Turn typos and other errors into opportunities by contacting site owners, pointing the errors out and explaining what you do. Politely let them know that you are available for rewriting copy as well as writing fresh error-free copy should they ever want to improve their site.
I do that with local sites and to date all it's earned me are snotty emails in return telling me no one is perfect and that people coming to a restaurant website don't care about typos.