Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
WAHM Regular

My husband has been a successful journalist for the last 20 years. He has written for over a dozen newspapers, has been editor-in-chief of several newspapers and has been writing a personal column on his website since 1997 and he currently has just over 1,000 columns under his belt. He was also named the youngest editor-in-chief in the state of New York when he was 22 years old...

...and he has an A.A. degree. That never stopped him from having a ton of success as a writer/journalist.

Me, on the other hand, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism and my husband's career blows mine out of the water. So a degree doesn't necessarily guarantee a certain level of success.

Last edited by juliewein; 12-19-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Awesome WAHM

I got the impression that, especially as it was in the LA Craigslist, the 'voice actress' part kinda implied reciting the spells too .

I was amused.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Super WAHM

Two things:

1. I had no idea there were other pagans here! We should compare notes sometime.

2. Why is it some posters here feel the need to harp on other posters? Does it make them feel better? Help justify their position on the arguement they created? I'm all for a good debate that respects both sides of whatever the issue is, but there is a difference between debating, or agreeing to disagree and just being a jerk.

Oh, and not that it matters, but I never finished my criminal justice degree, and don't care one way or the other whether or not anyone here has a degree.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageMama View Post
Two things:

1. I had no idea there were other pagans here! We should compare notes sometime.
Hi! I thought there used to be a Pagan/Wiccan part on this board, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna P View Post
I got the impression that, especially as it was in the LA Craigslist, the 'voice actress' part kinda implied reciting the spells too .

I was amused.
Great, so we would have to write them AND perform them. But for $400, I'd almost consider it...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Super WAHM

There is/was a Pagan area under religions. I remember looking at it a couple of times, but nobody really posted there, so I haven't been back.

Last edited by VintageMama; 12-19-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlejan View Post
While I would never take issue with anyone who sees value in getting a degree, I'm a bit stunned that you wouldn't consider hiring a writer who doesn't have one.

I'm thankful my former agent, editors, and publishers didn't have that attitude when I wrote 20+ computer books.
They were "computer books," though. Depending on the topic, I'd think a degree wouldn't automatically be necessary because it's a very new field in terms of being as offered as a degree, probably not more than 30 years old, if that? And it's constantly changing and evolving, and the most talented folks in many computer subspecialties tend to not be in academia but out in the field working.

As far as degrees, I've got a B.S. and Master's (not in English, journalism, or any writing-related field). But I have emphasized the degrees (or specific coursework related to the position I'm applying to) when applying, especially when starting out freelancing. Applying for assignments and having no significant "real" experience, well then I had to simply emphasize what I had (two degrees and a mountain of debt

I do think my degrees were helpful overall with some freelance work I've done, not the degree itself, but the entire process of pursuing them. I don't see how I could have possibly graduated not being a better writer than when I started college simply based on the sheer number of papers required. The constant writing assignments required allowed me to improve my writing.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
WAHM Addict

A year ago I worked at a seasonal resort job with many college students. Almost every single one of them had paid others to write their papers and yes, a few of them were journalism and English majors. Most of them only did it occasionally but a few of them did it all the time.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Yeah, but then I could name many people who didn't go to college who cannot write at all. Does that mean no one who skipped college can write? I don't think it's all or none here. It really don't matter because I hardly know of any job that solely takes into account just experience, or just education. It's usually a mix of the two, as I think it should be.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I am writing without a degree. I was an English major, but I got my MRS, had babies, and you know how it is. Haven't gone back. And as of now, I have no plans to... I'm doing very well without a degree, and honestly, I doubt it would help *me* much to go back at this point, or in five or ten years. I feel like I'm making a lot of growth as a writer and as a business owner on my own. Maybe that will change in the future, and I'll go back and get my degree... who knows what the future may hold?

I have no idea why anyone would bother arguing over this, though... if you have a degree and think it helps you, that's great. That's one way to get the education you need to succeed, and a well-respected one! If you have worked your way up, learning along the way, that's great too! Another excellent method of learning what you need to know. Hooray for more than one way to reach the same, or at least a comparable, point! And if the method you chose is not getting you where you need to be, then you can always go back and take some courses, get a degree, take an interning position, find a mentor, whatever. It's not like you made a choice and now can't change your mind.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Awesome WAHM

Just saw this and had to share. Hopefully it will give you the laugh it gave me. Okay here's the post:

I have a blog Worries and Stress

I need someone to write articles for me. It will be small articles that should take no longer then 10-20 minutes.
Pay is $10 an article. Email me for more info..

Now if you are like me that doesn't seem to odd right? Well go and check the blog. The second or third entry is about all the troubles with the law this man is having, how he is waiting to get into the military and how he is on probation. Um..... I'm thinking no.