Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default I feel beat down...

I go through spells like this and it's frustrating. I feel like I am on top of the world and then BAM someone has an issue with something. I am not a perfect writer but I try my hardest. I research and try to deliver EXACTLY what the client wants.

This can be so frustrating knowing that I put hours into my work a day. I know a negative comment is not enough to give up and I won't.

What do you do to get over a little hump? I feel like a negative comment really brings me down. Sounds stupid but when I put so much thought into my work....it hurts.

I am a writer that sticks to my word, delivers fresh content and would give someone the letters off my back.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Super WAHM

I think you need to give yourself some time. I know when you're insulated that it can come down really hard on you. *Hugs* We've all been there. I just say keeping looking...keeping writing...Take a break..Go out with the bf, hubs or kiddos, or even girlfriends. Laugh it up. Then come back and get back to it!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Awesome WAHM

. I appreciate the kind words.

Last edited by rjweaver10; 12-10-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Super WAHM

I know how you feel. Sometimes the wrong comment at the wrong time can ruin everything! Keep your head up and keep doing what you do because you are great at it.

Try treating yourself to something nice. If you can't go out, buy something you can enjoy at home. My emergency, last minute, pick me up food is Sushi. When the world is beating me down spicy salmon rolls remind me that the world is not a completely unhappy place .
Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I get like that, too. A negative comment really brings me down. I overcome it by taking a break from writing - usually just for a few hours, since I can't afford a few days, and reading positive comments. Print out every positive comment you've ever received about your work. It will remind you that there are many clients who value you.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
WAHM Regular

We all have to remember that we can't please everyone. And these days, some
clients are getting real damn picky, even if the work is good. That might be because
they are looking at writers who will work for next to nothing.

The most important thing is, if you know you are doing a good job, don't sweat the
bad comments from clients. You are always going to get them from someone. Just
keep doing what you do best, shake those clients off, and be happy for the clients
that like you and the fact that you can even do this to make money.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 AM
WAHM Addict

There's that saying - "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." I think part of it, at least for me, is that the companies I write for never give me anything other than high praise, so often with Demand Studios, my ego took a beating. Soon enough I learned that lots of writers took a beating with them, so I decided it was them and not me.

It kind of proved it when they took a how-to I wrote related to an aspect of my husband's job (he's held this job since college so 33 years, so he knows far better than any editor there.) They took out vital steps saying they were redundant,though the job requires these checks to be performed at different stages,and anyone who follows that advice now will not do the job correctly.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I know just what you mean. I think that over the years I've developed a bit of a thicker skin... I recently got a rejection on TB, and TB sided with the client... the editor said that I used the word "which" instead of "that," and that that type of error is not acceptable for a 5-star writer. :insert eyeroll emoticon here: I'm pretty sure I could have used either, but in any case, why reject a whole article due to that?

I have private clients who are very happy with my work and who give consistently good/excellent feedback, so I'm really not going to spend any time worrying about that, you know? I agree with the poster who said "you can't please all of the people all of the time." Not everyone is going to be in love with your writing style, and some editors/clients are going to have preferences that you need to get to learn... that's just the nature of the game. The great thing about freelancing is that just as they're free to make negative comments, you're free to say "I'm sorry, I don't think I can meet your needs any longer." You work for yourself. Keep on writing, keep on writing.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Super WAHM

Smile

Just remember why they hired you in the first place....mainly because they are not intelligent enough to do it themselves! So why should their unintelligent comments hurt you?

Many blessings for a beautiful holiday season and a prosperous New Year!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 AM
WAHM Regular

This post makes me sad because from what I can tell on here, you are one of the nicest, most genuine people! Hang in there, take a well deserved break and do something nice for yourself. You'll feel better after a while. Whoever doesn't like what you have to say or write for that matter, then they don't count! Hang in there!