Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thank you all for this because it makes me feel a lot better. I'm not looking for pity but these nice comments will sure help me move on. I'd like to think I have thicker skin but sometimes it just gets to me. I am going to take today off and then I'll get back into it

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Awesome WAHM

We don't always know what's going on in our clients' or editors' lives either. They may be having a bad day, and may just be cranky.

You are a good writer, and you are committed to delivering quality on time. Your clients are lucky to have you.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've been there, too. I will get weeks where I receive excellent reviews and five-star ratings, then I get one rejected article or a negative comment, which makes me want to hide in a corner and cry. I'm sure we have all been there. The important thing is knowing that you are a good writer, despite the words of one unappreciative client or editor. It seems to help me to go back and look at the positive comments from readers and clients. It makes me realize although one company or person may not appreciate me or like my style, there are clients that do. Even looking at positive comments on your hubs or blogs may help. Take a break after a negative review and make sure the break consists of a hot shower and some relaxation without dwelling on the one comment. *Hugs* I hope things look up for you and I hope you find it reassuring that you're not the only one!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
WAHM Regular

I know how you feel. The other day I had a client reject an article that I felt was well written, without even giving me a chance to revise it. And all the client said was that they didn't like my writing style. As much as it sucks, you move on to the clients that do value and appreciate your work and don't worry about the ones that don't.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have always seen the irony in the fact that writers are amongst the most sensitive of people, and yet we get into an industry where rejection and people telling us we suck is par for the course. Unfortunately, aside from grammar, what we do is entirely subjective. No matter how well researched or how much thought is put into a piece, somebody out there will still think it's no good. Show that same piece with the negative comments to someone else, and they'll think it's perfect.

I have to remind myself of this any time I get less than flattering commentary, and it does help. I have been told I have the makings of an allstar, that I am creative, exceptional, and professional. I've also been told that I missed the mark, I use certain words too often, and that my work was too technical. How can I be creative and too technical at the same time? Because I just can be. lol. You can't be everybody's cup of tea.

Do what someone else suggested. Look back on all of the GOOD things people have said about you and your writing. People don't give compliments freely most of the time, so you can bet they were genuine and true. Focus on that. For those clients, your work WAS perfect. :-)
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Default I'm a beginner freelance writer

Hi,

I can feel your frustrations because I recently decided to join yahoo contributer and I wrote an article about moms searching to find their passion so they can have a fullfilled life working from home.

I had assumed it was a good story but obviously it wasn't to them..so I got frustrated that I had put so much time and effort in it for it to only get rejected.

Then I wrote a second article about naming three things as a parent I regret doing and that paper got accepted then I became very happy.

Being a freelance writer is like playing the lottery some articles you win and some articles you loose.than take a course on it and keep practicing. Besides, Whatever article that got rejected or have negative feedback I post it on my blog and they love it and my followers on my blog is who inspires me to not give up
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesmom View Post
Whatever article that got rejected or have negative feedback I post it on my blog and they love it
That reminds me, whenever I write an article for a client and they reject it, I put it up on Suite 101. That way eventually I will make money off of it and writing it wsn't a waste of my time.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinHill226 View Post
I have always seen the irony in the fact that writers are amongst the most sensitive of people, and yet we get into an industry where rejection and people telling us we suck is par for the course.
The first line of this made me laugh. I never thought of it like that!

As for feeling down, everyone else was right on: everyone's different, and you CAN'T please everyone. It's just never going to happen. Try focusing on clients that give you positive feedback, and when things get too bad, take a break.

Or do something to relieve stress, like ripping up your notebook pages into itty bitty pieces or snapping all of your pencils in half. A few moments into that, you'll realize how silly you look, and start laughing. Well, at least that works for me...

Just don't bang your fists on your computer keyboard... You'll soon realize that that's not so silly...