Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Need Help Finding a Writing Job

Hey guys.
Writing is my hobby and my love in life, which is why I've been trying to make it into a decent job. I used to work for livestrong.com via Demand Media Studios, but was laid off along with many other writers. Now I've just been searching the web, both for private clients and for other promising companies to write for. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much down sh** creek at the moment when it comes to finding reliable writing jobs that provide enough available work to make a decent income. For example, I was hired onto Need An Article as one of their new writers. This sounded awesome of course, as you can make some pretty good money ... or so I thought. I was even hired as an automatic top-level health and fitness writer with top pay! Despite being a top-level writer for health and a few other subjects, I have yet to see any available work to claim. They always assure me that they will have work but I never see any and have been signed up with them for quite some time now.
I've also worked/wrote for Yahoo! Contributor Network (Associated Content), Text Broker, Constant Content, and have applied for Wise Geek and Break Studios but was denied.
Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know any places to apply to?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Super WAHM

Everything is dry at the moment....private clients or direct orders on TB are the way to go. If you have submitted accepted works on TB, there is no shame in contacting past clients and requesting DOs. I do it all the time, prefacing it with a "thank you so much for approving my.....article." Most of us are pretty much in the same boat as you right now, if it's any consolation.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
WAHM Regular

it sounds like I am in the same boat you are in its not easy right now if you dont already have your own set of private clients unfortunately...
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
WAHM Regular

Have you thought about writing an eBook? I know a lot of writers are starting to do that as an alternative to DMS since the work there has pretty much dried up. I do post writing leads on my blog, although a lot of them are print magazines and newspapers. The pay is good, but not always immediate.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Super WAHM

Yea, I freaked out after I quit my job late this past summer... I settled into writing for DS at $15 a pop and then as soon as I quit... BAM! Dry.

I've moved to private clients like pp, and it's building slowly. You have to get a website and spend a bulk of each day marketing your services to keep a steady stream of work. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of running projects so I know how much work I need to drum up to meet my income goals for the week..

Tags
freelance writer, freelance writing jobs, online jobs, online work, writing jobs