Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM
WAHM Addict

Default What do you think??

This is a response to a Craigslist ad for a writing gig. It pays $400 weekly for--I think--one 4- to 6-page article on food/nutrition per week. However, the bolded parts concern me.

This was the first reply to my inquiry:

Hello,
My Name is _______ ,am glad that you replied to my post on Craigslist , I need a writer who can write me an Article as i do present this to some Orphanage homes every Week. Please do let me know if you can do this while i will need you to make the Article on 4-6 pages. Am willing to offer you $400 weekly as you will always write this for me Every week. I need you to write me an Article on FOOD / NUTRITION and if you have any other interesting topic, please do let me know. I hope to read from you soon.

Here's my reply:

I appreciate the opportunity to work with you, however, I have a few questions:

Am I correct in my understanding article(s) you want are 4 to 6 pages long?

Is your payment for one 4- to 6-page article per week or several articles of the same page length?

Will this require me to interview people or do extensive research?

Would you be willing to agree to having a contract in place prior to my doing the work?

What exactly is the type of work you do with the orphanage homes? Do you work with other writers as well, or do you have a team of writers you work with and you're adding more writers to your team?

Are you in the US?

What payment method do you utilize? PayPal? Check?

These are just some questions to give me idea of who you are and the type of project I would be taking on if I decide to take this on. I look forward to your reply.

Here's his reply:

Thank you for your message. As i already told you that am sending the article to some Orphanage homes. The Article should make meaning to everyone there at the Orphanage Home as there should be no specifications to a particular group.

I will need you to please have the article base on ( FOOD NUTRITION) as it should be written on 4-6 Pages. You can talk on Diet, Food and more just to make a good understanding from the Article.

You will write the Article in 4-6 Pages and make a back cover for it.You are to base the Article only on FOOD / NUTRITION. e.g, Diet and lots. The Article should be in target to those within the Orphanage Home. You will always be the one to write the Articles for me every week as i will always provide you with Topics and your Payment will always be paid with no delay. You are free to make research online too.

There is no specifications on the numbers of word as i just need you to make a full page on 4-6 pages.As you will always write different
Articles every week while i will always provide you with different topics.I will like to know if you can do this so i can have my Financier effect a payment and Mail to you as an upfront payment just to show sign of seriousness. Also i will like to know if you will like to be paid per each topic you write of weekly payment.Am willing to offer you $400 weekly which you will always write me an article every week. My Late Parents use to do this for Orphanage homes just to encourage them all and make their life be fun, so this is why i have decided to carry on with it, so i will need you to Email me a draft of this Article for Approval as soon as possible.

I need this Article to be ready as soon as possible , so i hope you will please let me know when exactly you can finish up with this.Let me know if you also have a good Article Topic to write on and i can approve it for you.

For the Payment, Am presently out of State on a Research Assignment to the United Kingdom, so i will have a client of mine in state issue and mail out to you a check for the first week Upfront Payment.

So i will need your :

Your Full Name which the check is to be issued.
Address where the check should be mail.
Your contact Phone Numbers cell phones.

I will make sure an Upfront payment on the check is been issued and mail to you as soon as i have your details so you can start asap and let me know if you want your payment based on each topic or weekly.

NOW...I don't know why he needs to know my age. And I sure as hell don't intend to send him my mailing address. What's unnerving me a little is the bolded. What's sucks is that I'm in no financial position right now NOT to consider this, HOWEVER, I'm not going to allow my circumstances to cloud my better judgment. If I can get him to pay me via PayPal, and if it's just one article per week, I could work with that for a little while. I'm not sure I'm fine with his answer regarding his involvement with orphanages.

What say ye?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Super WAHM

I wouldn't go through with it just because he asked for all of this information. It sounds like a scam to me.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Super WAHM

I guarantee you one of his "associates" will overpay you with a check and ask you to send some of it back to them. It reeks of a scam.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Awesome WAHM

Well, it's obvious English isn't his first language. So, while I find his response fishy as well, sometimes they just seriously have no idea what you are saying. I've worked with clients from both India and China, and they both would have come off as scams had I based it on their responses alone.

If it were me, I'd ask to be paid via paypal instead of check and see what he says. If it's not a scam, and he has the money, he should be willing to do it that way. I'd also say I required a contract, not ask if he would sign one. If he refuses, that's a red flag.

Did he ask for writing samples? Seems weird if he was just going to hire you on the spot, although I have honestly had people do that before. Mostly the ones who don't speak English well, since I guess they figure I'd do better than they would? Soooo, yeah, it does sound weird...

Last edited by ErinHill226; 11-26-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
WAHM Regular

Scam, scam, scam!

See here:

Craigslist ripoff..or maybe something MUCH WORSE?? - Clark Howard's Message Boards - Get Help & Advice Here
Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Super WAHM

This definitely looks like a creative spin on the famous cashing checks scam that has landed many in jail and fined. You are absolutely right to be leery. Instincts are usually never wrong about these things. There is zero reason why this individual needs your home mailing address or age, for crying out loud. If you check your spam folder, you may have one of these more blatant emails suggesting you have won a lottery drawing and they always ask for this information. In fact, the only piece of information missing from their request is your occupation, as compared to those other scams.

I would ask them if their parents "used" do this, I would ask for contact information on the orphanages in question and previous samples of completed articles to make sure that you are both on the same page about the expectations.

You will probably find that you either get no email back because they know you have caught on and won't want to waste their time, or they will send some canned cheesy automated type of response. I highly doubt this is legitimate.

These scammers running these check-cashing schemes are getting trickier. Many are posting legitimate-sounding job leads on job sites and CL. Some even have realistic sounding email addresses. But, they will suggest that you sign up for a service that you "will use in the business." They walk away with a commission, as it was a fake job lead, or they gather a bunch of your personal information, say they are sending you an up-front payment and that they are "away on business overseas," and mail you a fake check. This is just my personal opinion, but I definitely do not have a good feeling about this one....
Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Also see this link:

Craigslist users: Has anyone been offered $250 to $350 a week for article writing? | Editing and Proofreading Help

The links I am posting are links to posts from people who received the same e-mail you did about writing articles for an orphange. All in response to an ad placed on CL. I would be very wary.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Super WAHM

Wow, yep, this.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinHill226 View Post
Well, it's obvious English isn't his first language. So, while I find his response fishy as well, sometimes they just seriously have no idea what you are saying. I've worked with clients from both India and China, and they both would have come off as scams had I based it on their responses alone.

If it were me, I'd ask to be paid via paypal instead of check and see what he says. If it's not a scam, and he has the money, he should be willing to do it that way. I'd also say I required a contract, not ask if he would sign one. If he refuses, that's a red flag.

Did he ask for writing samples? Seems weird if he was just going to hire you on the spot, although I have honestly had people do that before. Mostly the ones who don't speak English well, since I guess they figure I'd do better than they would? Soooo, yeah, it does sound weird...
I sent him links to my work, and I did ask for a contract, which he obviously did not address in his reply. I was thinking of asking him to pay me via PayPal, but the more feedback I get, the more I think I may pass on this one.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsfdf View Post
Also see this link:

Craigslist users: Has anyone been offered $250 to $350 a week for article writing? | Editing and Proofreading Help

The links I am posting are links to posts from people who received the same e-mail you did about writing articles for an orphange. All in response to an ad placed on CL. I would be very wary.
Yep, the only thing different was that he wanted 4-6 pages and was offering me $400 per week. Another writer buddy of mine suggested telling CL posters that I only work through Elance and give them my referral link to sign up. If they're legit, they'll follow up; if not, oh well.