Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Super WAHM

Default Just submitted my first WEP article ...

I went over the final draft over and over and I still feel like I am missing something. Now it is time to await the verdict.

I have been thinking of what could have landed me in WEP in the first place, since I know I am a good writer. I think I may have passive voice issues in my writing, although it has only been mentioned a handful of times over the past 2 years. I tried to eliminate these instances, so hopefully I got them all.

I also rarely put references in the articles of the editors. I used to make 3-4 in-text citations for the readers, until CEs starting telling me it was no longer necessary. Anyway, I made sure to reference each fact for the editor, so hopefully that helps.

Since there are reports on the DMS forum of people passing WEP, I am now optimistic. It just seemed like NO ONE made it through WDP the first time, which made me feel like my fate was sealed.

Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Good luck!

I don't know if this is an issue for you or not, but I've found I get the best scores and feedback when I over-explain my steps. Instead of "Push this button" I write "Push this button. This button does ________"

Hopefully that made sense and hopefully that's helpful to someone.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM
WAHM Addict

I give a lot of details on each step too ever since one editor told me she/he'd never heard of the three-digit security code on the back of a credit card in an article about purchasing items online. I still can't believe people out there are unfamiliar with the three-digit code, but obviously some are so I make sure I'm as detailed as possible.

Given that, I don't know if it's just my luck, but I have two articles have been sitting with an editor for 24 hours now. I've had others fly through in minutes, so the fact that two of mine are just sitting there bothers me. I find when they sit for a longer period of time, they usually come back for rewrites.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Super WAHM

Good luck! I haven't written at DS in months. I'm scared to go back now after reading the threads.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinter81 View Post
Good luck! I haven't written at DS in months. I'm scared to go back now after reading the threads.
I've seen the threads, but honestly I haven't had any problems since I first started. My first three articles were a bit rough and I got discouraged because after making the changes the editor suggested on one, she/he still rejected it. One sailed through with no changes and one had a quick rewrite. After that, I'm up to 60 articles now and only 10 have been sent back for edits and usually it's just a quick clarification like the editor didn't understand a term and wants a definition added.

This month, my grammar score is at a 4 and research is at 4.3. The lowest the grammar has been was 3.5. I haven't been put in WEP yet, so I still think there is more to it than just scores. I only personally know someone who was put in the program and she told me that her scores had slipped from 4.3's to 3.5's over the spell of three months. In that case, I understand why she was downgraded. She's walking away because she doesn't want to have to try to improve.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Awesome WAHM

Have we ever figured out if the people who were WEP'd tended to write topic views rather than how-to's or what types of topics they tended to pick up?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Super WAHM

The sweep almost seems random, but how am I to know? There have been posts from others that say they have steady scores of 4 & up, but were still chosen for WEP. I don't have any intentions of writing for DS right now, as I have some other work that is more pressing.

I can see why the chosen writers are feeling stressed though--DS is a main egg for many. Good luck to all who are involved!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelle View Post
Have we ever figured out if the people who were WEP'd tended to write topic views rather than how-to's or what types of topics they tended to pick up?
Well before I was fired I was WEP'd and I did pretty much nothing but topic views towards the end of my time writing for them. When I first started on DS i used to only do the fact sheets. Once I had those mastered I moved on to the topic views. Most of the topic views I picked were tech related and DS still let me go.

Just for the record, the last time I wrote a tech article for them it was about X firewall vs Y firewall. Despite the fact that I started the second paragraph of the article with "X firewall was discontinued in 2008" I still got a note from the CE asking me if X firewall was still being sold in stores. Which tells me those CEs don't read the articles very closely.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I've seen the threads, but honestly I haven't had any problems since I first started. My first three articles were a bit rough and I got discouraged because after making the changes the editor suggested on one, she/he still rejected it. One sailed through with no changes and one had a quick rewrite. After that, I'm up to 60 articles now and only 10 have been sent back for edits and usually it's just a quick clarification like the editor didn't understand a term and wants a definition added.

This month, my grammar score is at a 4 and research is at 4.3. The lowest the grammar has been was 3.5. I haven't been put in WEP yet, so I still think there is more to it than just scores. I only personally know someone who was put in the program and she told me that her scores had slipped from 4.3's to 3.5's over the spell of three months. In that case, I understand why she was downgraded. She's walking away because she doesn't want to have to try to improve.
Actually, my scores have been higher this year than ever, with a grammar score of 4 or 4.1 and a research score of 4.1 or 4.2 each month, so a completely opposite experience than your friend. But my TOTAL grammar score (for the entire 2 years) is 3.6 and total research score is 3.8, so that had to play a big part. I did a lot of articles for Trails Travel a year or so back and they usually got a score of 3.5 to 3.7. I had a hard time adjusting to what they were looking for on that site. I also had 17 rejections and a lot of rewrites during that time. I *think* that was 2009 or early 2010, and I have had one rejection since then and a rewrite rate of about 15% (usually for a clarification.) I think I might be a little lucky because since my scores have been so high, my grammar score went from 3.5 to 3.6 recently and my research score from 3.7 to 3.8. When you have 1,000 articles, it takes a lot good or bad scores to move the total scores at all. If they hadn't moved, I probably would have been canned without WEP. Maybe the fact that I joined DS back when they didn't have the 3 trial articles played a part in it, but who really knows.

Last edited by writermommy; 08-11-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelle View Post
I do a mixture of both and my articles vary in topic. A few months ago there were a lot of baby-related topics, so I did them. Last month there were a lot of good topics in Education, so I focused on those. Back when they were doing trails travel, I did a lot of travel articles. Before they moved most of the finance topics to eHow Money, I did a lot of those since that is my "specialty." A very wide variety, except for anything to do with cars and computers.

ETA: I take that back. I did do some about Word and Excel earlier this year.

Last edited by writermommy; 08-11-2011 at 04:25 PM.