Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Super WAHM

Default Demand Studios Makes Me Want to Quit!

DS makes me want to quit writing. I LOVE the 15 + dollar articles and the twice a week payouts ... but I am literally ready to just throw in the towel. Some of the editors can be so nutty I honestly can't take it anymore.

" Give me a reliable ref for this" next to every paragraph? Ummm how about you actually read through all 6 of my sources that clearly state what I wrote. Its called reading through the sources... trying using Control + F to find the keywords your looking for. If I submit an article and it comes back for rewrite two minutes later I know you didn't check the sources. You just blew through my article.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh This was not a way to start my Monday.

Sorry for the yelling.

Its like we are all tip toeing around DS terrified about getting thrown into the WDP! Isn't the point of working at home to avoid inner office drama ahahhahaha

Last edited by tbkwriters; 08-08-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
WAHM Addict

My first three I went through this and the editor explained clearly that after every line of factual information, you have to type (See reference whatever) so that the editor can then check the source to make sure you have the facts right.

Now I make sure that I've put See Reference # after virtually every line so that there is no way they can say I didn't cite my resources enough.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
WAHM Regular

I used to write exclusively for DS and eventually just couldn't take it anymore! At first, I was able to deal with some of the rude editors, but after awhile, it finally gets to you and I started thinking that I would rather make nothing than write those articles!

That was about a year and ever since, I have been growing a great private client base and have more work than I can handle! I am so glad that I had the courage to stop doing something that made me that unhappy every day.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM
WAHM Fanatic

DS isn't my main egg, but the WDP/WEP/whatever they're calling it now really stresses me out. I just hate how it totally catches people off guard - they have no clue they're doing a bad job until they're placed in the program. I have decent scores and a lot of positive CE feedback, but I'm still terrified. In fact, I've been writing the same article all day, off and on, because I just can't seem to finish it. And it's an easy one that should have taken 30 minutes. Sigh.

I don't really need the money from DS right now, but I'm trying to stay active by writing a few articles a week.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMiss View Post
DS isn't my main egg, but the WDP/WEP/whatever they're calling it now really stresses me out. I just hate how it totally catches people off guard - they have no clue they're doing a bad job until they're placed in the program. I have decent scores and a lot of positive CE feedback, but I'm still terrified. In fact, I've been writing the same article all day, off and on, because I just can't seem to finish it. And it's an easy one that should have taken 30 minutes. Sigh.

I don't really need the money from DS right now, but I'm trying to stay active by writing a few articles a week.
I won't let the experiences of others shade my views. For all I know, the person put into WDP did something that they don't realize or aren't saying. I know one person who was put in admitted to me privately that her grammar scores had consistently slipped over the past three months because she was taking on harder topics (outside her general expertise) due to the decline in possible assignments. If you see someone's writing quality slipping, I think it's normal to want them to improve.

I've only had a few CE's that were a little beyond what I consider reasonable. Since the rating system's been implicated, I find that the majority are starting to leave feedback, even if they haven't changed anything and getting that simple "Great job" is really all it takes to boost morale.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anng View Post
I won't let the experiences of others shade my views. For all I know, the person put into WDP did something that they don't realize or aren't saying. I know one person who was put in admitted to me privately that her grammar scores had consistently slipped over the past three months because she was taking on harder topics (outside her general expertise) due to the decline in possible assignments. If you see someone's writing quality slipping, I think it's normal to want them to improve.

I've only had a few CE's that were a little beyond what I consider reasonable. Since the rating system's been implicated, I find that the majority are starting to leave feedback, even if they haven't changed anything and getting that simple "Great job" is really all it takes to boost morale.
Ann, I've had a pretty good experience overall too, even though I was freaking out last night lol. I ended up turning my article in - after obsessing over it and worrying for God only knows how long - and having it approved within 20 minutes. I received a 5 in grammar and a 4 in research. I expected the 4, because it was a craft article and all of the references I wanted to use were from blacklisted sites. It took me longer to find a credible reference than it did to write the article, no joke.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Ann, I've had a pretty good experience overall too, even though I was freaking out last night lol. I ended up turning my article in - after obsessing over it and worrying for God only knows how long - and having it approved within 20 minutes. I received a 5 in grammar and a 4 in research. I expected the 4, because it was a craft article and all of the references I wanted to use were from blacklisted sites. It took me longer to find a credible reference than it did to write the article, no joke.
I have that happen too -- I write the article from experience, and then dig desperately through Google to find some creditable site, which may be only tangentially related. Crazy.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
I ran into that this weekend. The article appealed to me and I know from my former hairdresser that this specific DIY haircut works, but she died from breast cancer a few years ago, so I can't use her as a reference and online sources were all bloggers or Youtube videos and none of them are professionals. In the end, they happily took my sources though so I was relieved.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Super WAHM

Unhappy

I just never have had an rejections or rewrites, and now its like their filling up my inbox. Yesterday I got a rewrite for an article that was talking about the habitat that an animal lived in. I talked about geographic location, climate, feeding in different locations, and as much as I possibly could about the Habitat. The editor sent it back to me saying " what about reproduction, behavior, hunting techniques, and some other things that had nothing to do with the habitat that it lived in. So I obliged and added all of this non habitat information. It went through.

Then I wrote another article that was about the mating habits of an animal, and included some other information about the eggs, incubation and stuff like that. Then that editor was like " where the animal mates has nothings to do with mating behavior," how many eggs has nothing to do with mating behavior, ect.

I was like huh ... I think it all depends on the editors, and they all want different things.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 AM
WAHM Fanatic

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. I was like, I refuse to give up on this article, and I WILL find a reference. LOL I was Googling every loosely related term I could come up with. The article was about making a plain white box colorful, so you can imagine how hard it was to find a reference for that type of thing.

I'm just glad the interesting titles are coming back. I was really sick of seeing stuff about computer games and origami (there are still lots of both of those, but they're decreasing).