Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangrey View Post
I'm really beginning to wonder if they didn't base the decision somewhat on what type of articles you write. I know for a fact that the niche my articles are in brings in a ton of traffic, so maybe that's why I didn't get the cut? It kinda sorta makes sense. If you're going to cut writers, cut the ones who aren't bringing in a profit?
I too have wondered this. I am a social media junkie by nature and tend to Tweet and share a lot of my articles even on sites that do not require me to do so, I just enjoy it. So I am wondering if I may drive more traffic than some others over there who write an excessive amount of articles, but never promote. This theory has definitely crossed my mind. I have been doing so since way before WDP was a thing, article sharing is just a habit from having worked at an Internet marketing company for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
WAHM Regular

Which type of articles on the site make the most money? I'm just wondering how they calculate this because I recently joined DMS and I haven't submitted anything yet. It would be nice to have some tips about what articles to target so I don't have to experience this WDP thing that everyone is stressing over.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaLatte View Post
Which type of articles on the site make the most money? I'm just wondering how they calculate this because I recently joined DMS and I haven't submitted anything yet. It would be nice to have some tips about what articles to target so I don't have to experience this WDP thing that everyone is stressing over.

Thanks
I do a mix of everything, do not heavily market my work at all and was not put in the program with an average grammar score of 3.7, so I still wonder if it has more to do with how long you've been there. I write for Local.com doing a mix of things from local festivals to movie recaps. On WhiteFence, I did a bunch of articles on Comcast services. On eHow I do a mix of everything including gardening, travel topics, laws and beekeeping since my neighbor has six hives and lets me watch when he works. I only do about 8 articles a month so I don't know if quantity plays into this at all.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Super WAHM

I think quantity plays into it somehow though not sure exactly where in the grand scheme of it. I only worked on about 10 to 15 articles per month. Last week I posted five in two days and found myself in the program.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
WAHM Regular

I just got notified that I was fired. I'm pretty devastated by it. At least I wasn't *really* using it as a main source of income anymore since being hired by wiseGEEK. My scored were 3.6 and 4.0 though. I am trying to take this as an opportunity to explore other avenues of income right now. *sigh*
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM
WAHM Regular

@ThisIsMiss:
Were you just fired without given a chance to writer three articles for evaluation? I'm really curious about this. Do you mind sharing more details?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
WAHM Regular

Nope, I wasn't given a chance to write three articles. My email just says this:

We regret to inform you that we are removing your Demand Media Studios writing permissions. As you are aware, we look at our writers on a number of dimensions - including but not limited to article audits by in-house editors, overall scores and rejection rates.

Taking into consideration the above factors, it has been determined that your body of work does not meet our standards for quality.
and it goes on from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMiss View Post
I just got notified that I was fired. I'm pretty devastated by it. At least I wasn't *really* using it as a main source of income anymore since being hired by wiseGEEK. My scored were 3.6 and 4.0 though. I am trying to take this as an opportunity to explore other avenues of income right now. *sigh*
Oh wow, I'm sorry. How many articles did you have?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered WAHM

I was just let go in the same fashion. It was a pure shock to the system. I use them a lot, but I do have back up and work from other content mills to do. I just wish it hadn't happened - but maybe it is for the best, I know my stress will be much lower from not having to deal with DS editors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMiss View Post
Nope, I wasn't given a chance to write three articles. My email just says this:

We regret to inform you that we are removing your Demand Media Studios writing permissions. As you are aware, we look at our writers on a number of dimensions - including but not limited to article audits by in-house editors, overall scores and rejection rates.

Taking into consideration the above factors, it has been determined that your body of work does not meet our standards for quality.
and it goes on from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Only 61. I slowed down my writing with them since June, so the bulk of it was from March to May. The thing is, I got lower scores for really little things. Like a missed period or because I forgot to write out "inches" once or if it was for a specific brand, I didn't mention the brand name enough times.

I'm more upset about the fact that I was fired. I've never been fired before in my life! (I usually quit way before then!) I much prefer WG anyway. My scores are mostly 8 with occasional 7's and 9's thrown in, so I know I'm not that bad of a writer!