Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Looking for work ASAP! Content mills similar to Demand Media or private clients!

Hello everyone, I have been checking and reading the posts here on this website now for a few weeks, but have not joined the website yet. I used to work for Demand Media Studios, but was let go awhile back when writer's started being sent into the Writer Development Program. I have always had a high number of accepted articles versus rewrites, abandoned or rejected articles so I don't fully understand why I was let go as many other writer's who wrote for them. I have applied for some content mills that writer's here have suggested and I have also looked at the stickies on the main forum page, many links by fellow writers as well as researched for hours on my own. I am not a fan of private writing clients such as through Olance, Guru and all of the similar websites, although I am definitely open to a private client if anyone was to offer me the chance. Back to the content mills, I have applied for Populis (about a week ago now) and still have not heard from them. I have applied for many other freelancing websites as well. Probably everyone I can think of that I have seen on this website. Some have answered like Merchant Circle, Text Brokers, London Brokers, Hack n Mod, Independent Publishing and Wisegeek. I have written four articles at Merchant Circle, all of which have been approved without rewrites, but yet my writer level is still at level one. Merchant Circle is great and I love it so far; the only downside is that I can only claim two articles at a time right now. I was approved as a level four at Text Broker, but have not written for them yet because I find the titles to be confusing to research; the same goes for London Brokers. As far as Hack n Mod, I have been invited for a test article and am still in the hiring phase. I was denied for both WiseGeek and Independent Publishing and am still waiting to hear back from all of the rest I applied for. I would like to find any content mills that are similar to Demand Media Studios such as Populis, but U.S. based or accepting U.S. writers. I don't normally like to take private clients either but if anyone sees my post and needs help, private message me and I will get a hold of you. I check this website everyday. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Ingloriousways; 06-09-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
WAHM Regular

The first thing you should do is give us a breather by using paragraphs. Man, that was
hard to get through. It makes my ADD kick in.

Another thing is read the posts again that you said you have read. Start here:
http://www.wahm.com/forum/wahms-who-...ml#post2780785

and here:
http://www.wahm.com/forum/wahms-who-...mill-list.html

Then, go back to the sites you have joined already and write. Sounds like you are either
procrastinating or scared. Get your feet wet. You don't need any other sites until you
learn those you are in -- like Textbroker. Out of all those assignments, there is bound
to be one that you understand. Even I can do that
Old 06-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Super WAHM

Yes spacing paragraphs would have been nice lol I haven't even made it through my first cup of coffee and I am already distracted.

Since writing can get a little boring... and you are obviously looking to make money I would trying doing these things....

Start everyday out with a list of goals/articles you want to write. Maybe like this

5 textbroker
5 TCA (the content authority)
2 merchant circle

When you are done with that, then spend your time looking for new mills to write for. If you have any questions about the mills search the forums. Most people on here have plenty to say.

Good Luck
Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Super WAHM

Most of the titles at textbroker and london brokers don't require extensive research. The buyers usually just want you to write something that uses the keywords they provide but the angle is open for you to choose. If they want something specific they state it in the directions. Once you do a bit of writing for TB and LB it gets easier - it's not like DS where you have to have references. It just needs to be coherent and use the keywords.

Not sure why your MC level hasn't been raised. Mine was after I submitted my 2nd article. Not sure if you usually write without paragraph breaks and make a habit of using the possesive where it is not appropriate (you used "writer's" instead of the correct "writers" a couple times in your post), but if you do that's probably why they haven't raised your level. Not nitpicking on that - I know I don't bother much with proper grammar for a forum post - just wondering if it's something like that that's keeping you at a level 1.

It is also highly unlikely that anyone will "offer" you work. If you want private clients you have to do the work to find them. You said you weren't really interested in private clients anyway so maybe focus on the content mills for a while.

You could apply for some of the Skyword programs. Many of their articles pay $10 up front plus residuals for page views. A lot of us have also een writing for Wikio Experts - I wouldn't recommend them if you need money right now. They only pay monthly, you have to have 50 euros to reach payout (they do hire US writers and will fix your spelling and grammar to conform with UK English), and no one here has received payment yet b/c we haven't been with them long enough. Some people reached the cutoff to receive payment so we should know by July (I think) if they are reliable.

Also - I have heard of people who reapplied at DS with a different email and whatnot and were accepted again. Not sure how that works but I know it's possible - some people even had multiple accounts with them. They got caught eventually but it worked for a while.

Last edited by bplayfui; 06-10-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 AM
WAHM Regular

The Writers Network

www.writersnetwork.com

Assignments pay anywhere from $10 to $25. Pay is by Paypal five business days after the article is published.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliej View Post
The Writers Network

www.writersnetwork.com

Assignments pay anywhere from $10 to $25. Pay is by Paypal five business days after the article is published.

Do you presently write for them? What type of article would you recommend sending as a sample?

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliej View Post
The Writers Network

www.writersnetwork.com

How long does it take for them to tell you if you are approved or rejected?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
WAHM Regular

I do not currently write for The Writers Network. I actually discovered that lead here on this forum and bookmarked it in case DMS ever gave me the boot. She was asking for writing sites similar to DMS. That is the only one off of the top of my head that is close to DMS, so I threw it out there. Maybe someone who writes for them can chime in here and share their experience.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Hey everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. And by the way I am a him, not a her ha ha. You can see my picture on my profile. I can't upload my avatar. The page will not let me for some reason. I just get an error message and do not have the option to select an avatar. I uploaded my profile picture, but can't get my avatar on here. If someone can help me figure that out, I would appreciate it.

Anyway I applied for Writer's Network awhile ago and still have not heard from them. I am also with Cloud Crowd, though I haven't done a writing assessment test. I was going to check that out today simply because I got a private email from someone saying that they are paying $10 to $12 a writing assignment right now and I already knew that they paid daily; well the next day anyway.

I am also with Break Studios and have been for almost a year. I kid you not, every single time I have looked into the content pool, there are never any assignments available. I have checked at all hours of the day, everyday and for about a year now. I emailed the help desk and was told that assignments are claimed very quickly so I guess they must be claimed as soon as they are posted. I have no idea. Anyway this is my own experience and maybe it is completely different for other people. I'm not talking crap on Break Studios. They are an awesome company and pay $10 an article. I wish I could see the assignments because I would be writing there like crazy.

I was also accepted as a writer level four at Interact Media a couple weeks back and they also rarely have assignments. I think Text Broker and London Broker are fine; the only problem is that with Text Broker, after you do five articles your account is put on probation up to 24 to 48 hours so that you can be reviewed by the senior editors before they increase your limit. The same goes for London Brokers and I just don't have that kind of time.

Like a lot of people have been saying here, "I need money like last week." Anyway everyone, thanks for all of the suggestions and I am listening to your advice. I am getting my feet "wet" with the different content mills such as Text Broker and London Brokers even though they are slow and low paying. Although if anyone can recommend any other fast paying, and most importantly well paying jobs, ( $10 to $15 an article) please let me know. Thanks

Tags
asap, clients, content, mills, work