Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered WAHM

Default OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Word

I would like to know if other writers use OpenOffice suite as an alternative to using Microsoft Office ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Awesome WAHM

I use Open Office because I don't have Word. I like it so far.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 AM
WAHM Regular

I use Open Office, and it seems to work fine. Another option is Google Docs which lets you store your work in the cloud and access it anywhere, But, I think that they need to do a lot more work on Google Docs to make it a good replacement for MS Office. Another option is Zoho, which many people seem to like..
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
WAHM Regular

I shared this on another forum so I thought I would share it here.

This is where I went to get my windows 7 upgrade. It's a wholesale software site. I was able to get my upgrade to windows ultimate for $20. It's a valid and active upgrade, I was also able to use my anytime upgrade to get it. The key is not a bootlegged key or anything like that.

Anyway, the site has Office for $30. The only drawback is that it is a download, you do not get any actual software. People on another forum got the Office downloaded and installed with no problems. So, for anyone who needs/wants Office, this might be the choice for you. It's also good for upgrading Windows and it has Office for Mac, too.

(it's not an affiliate link or anything, it's just a website that sent me an email, that's how I found it)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
WAHM Regular

I like Open Office since it allows me to convert documents into .PDFs for ebooks and printables. :-)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Super WAHM

I've used Open Office in the past and it is indeed very cost-effective. If you can get Word, definitely get it. But Open Office beats using Notepad and the like.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have used open office in the past, and I have it on my netbook, but WORD hands down! I love the ease, it's just "comfortable" open office isblah... That is just my feeling. I highly recommend it, and think it beats open office hands down.

Open office is ok for when you really need SOMETHING.. but word is much better if you have the option! Word does more than open office.. you can save things in PDF, create ebooks etc but there are more templates, etc.. I never use that kind of stuff, but do recommend it for writing articles.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Super WAHM

I personally prefer MS Word, but I've found Open Office is a great alternative.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
WAHM Regular

I've used OpenOffice for years at home and MS Office at work. MS Office IS a bit more elegant for sure, but OpenOffice, especially for writing, is fine, and had a PDF converter waaay before Word did. At this point I'm so used to it that I wouldn't even consider buying Word.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Super WAHM

I've started using OpenOffice and so far enjoy it. I especially like the passive voice checker. I am really bad about passive voice sometimes .