Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Transcription & Writing > Writing: Freelancing

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Courtknee

Great thread! I'm sure it will be of high value to newcomers. Is there anyway we can edit the "Looking for Work Thread?" Some of the websites and markets listed there are gone.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2006, 04:11 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Wendy, that is a great list of sites! Thanks!

I added them to my list of work-at-home writer mom resources!

There aren't many requests for information on how to get started doing freelance newspaper writing, but anyone who wants to know what I did is more than welcome to PM me about it. It's something I think a lot more people should consider, since the print market pays much better than what I've run across online.

Happy writing, all!

Money Saving WAHM

I Hate the Kitchen
Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 AM
WAHM Fanatic

My advice to beginners would be to do the research before diving in.
Learn what editors and site editors are looking for. Be sure you know
the basic priciples of grammar. Know how to formulate a query and
format a manuscript. Take some books on getting started out of the
library. If you're interested in being published in print, check out a
copy of the Writer's Market. (I bought a used copy for $7.00).

Old 04-17-2006, 08:32 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Wanted to share this email and then I'll collect some really good threads from this board:
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I wanted to offer more help for those who are willing to write for low wages who do not need to be.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I'll split this into two parts. First, if you are not looking for a writing career, a.k.a., you are not willing or wanting to work so hard to develop a career and write books or magazines, and you just need the extra money, read the SHOW ME THE MONEY part.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">For everyone else seeking a writing career, follow the WRITING CAREER.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">FIRST THING! EVERYONE! IF you don't know where your articles are going, ask. If they won't tell you, you can bet they are being resold. I'll repost this again but check with Google. Past your articles into it and see where your articles ended up if you don't know. Once you find the websites, ask THOSE people (if they are not the same people) how much they paid and if they would like more for the same price.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">More than likely, if the employer won't tell you where the article is going, he is not posting them on his website, but is reselling for someone else. Don't support dishonesty!
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">SHOW ME THE MONEY!
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Okay, some people signed up to write articles just for some extra cash. If you are one of these people who only want to write enough until you find that something better to do, take this advice.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Associated Content may pay 'low' but they pay MORE than those $1 article places. Yes, they do. No, they don't pay 'the next day' but they do pay and once you get going you'll have a constant stream of income. (And you SHOULD be able to work here. You get paid through Paypal. With Paypal, anyone can be paid. If not, there are other places to work. No worries.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Next, Constant Content offers you to set your own rate on your keyword articles. Figure out what your content is worth to you and set your own price.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">With Paid to Post jobs, you don't need to write on any topic you need to research or anything like that. You just need to type posts in message boards and you get paid.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Paid to Blog jobs are available everywhere too. You can also make money writing your own blog signing up with Google Adsense.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Next bidding websites. Rent a Coder and Get a Freelancer are absolutely free to sign up. The pay is sometimes MUCH better than $1… not by much but still.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Anyways, here is the thing, if you find yourself making LESS than minimum wage an hour doing ALL of these things; you need to get a REAL job. (I totally understand people from another country who do not mind working for $1. Try some of these things if you would like. Take what I have to say with a grain of salt. US, UK and other places can't buy food, water and a house for a $1 an article) If you are making less than minimum wage, try a different sort of online job. Taking phone orders over the Internet is a good one. If you need help with this try WAHM.com or TeleworkRecruiting.com
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Here is a hint, always ask anyone asking for articles WHERE your articles are going. If they won't tell you, ignore THOSE people. Some people only want to USE you to resell your articles somewhere else. If they aren't willing to tell you exactly where it is going, leave them to rot. Go to someone else.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN FOR $1 BEFORE! Check the web for your articles. Just highlight a paragraph and paste into Google. If you find something, not where the place is and CONTACT THAT EDITOR if it isn't the same editor you worked with before. Ask them how much they paid for your article. Ask if they would like more at the same price. (If it was higher.)
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">No more writing for $1 again!!!! Everyone wins, except those scammers who won't tell you the truth.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">WRITING CAREER
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">First, I want to make one thing very clear: if you are NOT willing to revise your work, if you are not willing to put in the time to cite sources or read everything you can get your hands on about writing, you have already failed. Get back to the SHOW ME THE MONEY part because it takes HARD work to be a writer. You need:

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =disc>
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">a master's grasp of the English language
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">time and space to take care of writing daily
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">education, not college but of how to write and how to market
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">a backbone when rejection comes, don't take it personally</LI>[/list]<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Even then, not everyone will succeed. It takes LUCK! If you can't live on some luck or maybes, figure out another career.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Anyways, if you are looking to a writing career as a job use these tips:
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Read everything! If you can gain access to the local library, get that. Go to every writing website you can find, join the newsletters, follow advice and learn what you can from free articles on writing online.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If you refuse to use your caps lock or use proper grammar and spelling, get out quick. You do the time, you'll get better results in the end. Learn how to write better at:
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://www.efuse.com/Design/wa<WBR>-more_better_writing.html
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu<WBR>/grammar/
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If you need a job use the following websites to locate one:
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://www.writesuccess.com<WBR>/jobs_for_writers.htm
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://allfreelance.com/indexx<WBR>.html
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://calissaleigh.com/daily<WBR>-check-list-freelance-writing<WBR>-jobs.html
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://www.writing-world.com<WBR>/basics/penny.shtml
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">http://writersrow.com/deborahng<WBR>/freelancewritingjobs.html
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If you can't find any sort of job using these resources, you may want to reconsider writing as a career. Or look into another format of writing because a number of these websites offer great links to other job boards and a lot more. You won't be disappointed.
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Anyways, I hope I have been somewhat helpful. My point is you DON'T have to write for $1. You can… if you want but why? There are better things to do for $1. Yard sales… eBay… other work at home jobs. Don't waste your time! (Again, take this with a grain of salt.)
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I don't have the time to write out everything you need to know, but read what you can get a hold of!
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Remember to pay forward…
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Signed - Anon
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Don't hesitate to pass this around! I'm offering the information here freely. (Just don't say you wrote it). My only want is to help. Share the wealth.
When inspiration knocks, open the door.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Great threads to read:

Writing for Trade Pubs

Writer's Blogs- Great to read the blogs listed!

Finding Jobs

Writing eBooks

Getting Better Paying Jobs

Finding a Niche

When Finding Copied Articles

Home Issues

Getting People to Respect Your Time

Work Hours

I'll do more later as I find time. I want to go through and find all the AC, CC, Lifetips etc posts.
When inspiration knocks, open the door.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thank you so much to all who have posted here! The tips are extremely
helpful, and I appreciate the time that has been spent putting all the
suggestions together.

Since stumbling upon this section of the boards a week or two ago, I've been submitting--and getting paid for!--my articles.

Though I've been writing all my life, "real life" got in the way of
dreams, and the "writing bug" went dormant for awhile. Now it's been
reawakened. (Thanks, again, to all of you who share knowledge so freely
here!)

I've read through just about every topic on each page here twice now,
but am stuck on one thing, and I wonder if someone could please write a
tiny bit more about it?

I set up a blog, with a domain pointing to it, where I'm placing all of
my submitted articles. I've put this link in my profiles on Associated
Content and Ezine Articles so far.

However, I don't know if that was the correct thing to do. Would it be
better to try to develop a whole website about my writing services
instead, and start promoting that as much as I can?

I know it's very important to promote ourselves, but for some reason, I'm having difficulty trying to decide how to do so.

Thank you for any further information you might have on this.

I hope I'll be able to make some contributions to this board at some point too. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Super WAHM

Becky, a lot of the writers on this site have websites that have helped
them get a lot of clients. It's a nice thing to have listed on a resume
or e-cover letter, and it's a great way to showcase your writing to
potential clients. Read through some of the posts here and in other
threads in this folder, and click on the signature links. You'll get to
visit some great WAHMs Who Write websites.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Awesome WAHM

I was looking for info on how much to charge for a copywriting gig when I came across these sites:
<UL>
<LI>http://www.lgroup.addr.com/CCAFeesTerms.htm</LI>
<LI>http://www.writersmarket.com/content/howmuch1.asp</LI>[/list]

Thought some of you might findthe infointeresting.
Happy writing! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 PM
WAHM Regular

Send a message via MSN to tabithanaylor

Great resources everyone. I am doing a lot of network marketing right now, but am slowly inching my way into the copywriting field.
http://tabithanaylor.blogspot.com
www.bigdreamsrealplan.com/blog