Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Guest Blogging - Don't Understand It

Please forgive my denseness. I'm trying to figure out how guest blogging works and if it would help me make more money.

My FT business is dog boarding and daycare. My husband and I have a very successful in-home business, but I've been branching out with content writing over the summer as I really need an outlet for using my brain before it turns to mush. I have a great website and write an occasional blog entry there about what's going on around here with the doggies. The content writing I've been doing is pet related for IB and there's always enough work for me there, but I'm trying to think of new avenues to start making residual income. I've toyed with the idea of an ebook, but there seems to be a lot out there already on my particular subject matter (pet businesses). I've got 20+ years experience in dog and pet care and I want to capitalize on the knowledge I have.

Can a few of you please explain the concept of guest blogging to me? TIA.
Carol
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
WAHM Regular

The idea is you approach other websites related to yours (dog or pet sites) and ask if they would let you write a guest blog post for them. It would give them free fresh content, and you get publicity. Pick something to write about that would be of interest to the other site's readers - something that would make you look like an expert. Does this help?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered WAHM

Oh, so with guest blogging I'm trying to get new clients for my dog business? Thing is, I have to turn away business as it is. We're already full all the time! How can I make guest blogging (or some other form of freelance writing) work for me to just make extra money not related to my personal dog business? In other words, I would like for someone to pay me to share my pet expertise in written form, other than content mill writing. Again, sorry to be so dense! I've been spending too much time playing with dogs for all these years to keep up to date on the new media opportunities.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The guest blogging would be done to get a backlink to your blog or content that you have on a revenue sharing site. This would help to generate traffic for you. Then you could earn off of adsense or affiliate links that you have placed on the blog or that you earn from on the sites. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Super WAHM

Default Blogging jobs

There are blogging jobs that you can pick up for clients who want content for their sites and are willing to pay for it. Some of these will be considered ghost writing, some can contain your byline. This may be more of what you are asking about.
A lot of these types of jobs do ask for certain topics or expertise such as you are talking about. They also will ask for experience and will ask for links to your site to see the type of work you have done in the past. If you are looking for this type work you can search blogging jobs. There is a site that has a lot of links for this type work but I cannot remember the link now. Maybe someone else can come up with it or you might find it by searching.
Good luck to you.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Awesome WAHM

Clport, I would suggest you head over to Passive Income: The Smart Passive Income Blog and start reading over there. Pat is a genius when it comes to passive income and you'll get great ideas there and you'll get directed to other great sites.

I wouldn't pass off the ebook idea. Just because there are other ebooks about there that have to do with pet businesses doesn't mean you can't come up with something original and make a killing with it. Instead of just doing a general ebook, be very specific. Think about all the specific aspects of running a pet business like (and I have no idea what I'm talking about so don't laugh if these are way off track!) "How to Develop Trust with Pet Owners When you Have a Pet Boarding business"; or you could do something else that doesn't have to do with pet business but with the pets themselves. You must have loads of info that you could share.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered WAHM

dmcgaw, thanks for the link to Passive Income Blog. I'm downloading the free ebook about writing ebooks. I do have lots of information to share with people who want to get into this line of work. I figured it had all been said before by someone else, though. I see that I could perhaps make a little residual income off an ebook. The other thing on the PI Blog that interests me is the idea of a membership website. Gonna look into that some more. I appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming if anyone else has more! Y'all are the best.
Carol
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 AM
TheWorkAtHomeWife.com

Then once you get that ebook written, it is a great time to start guest posting. It would introduce you to a circle of new people and extend the reach of marketing that new ebook.